Johnstone Burgh statement

Keanie Park is a 10 minute walk from my house and I've never been to see the Burgh play.

I was very close to going along last night, but work got in the way. I'll definitely go and see them soon though.

Bit fascinated by what's going on to be honest, want to see what it's all about!

58 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

Can i ask the last time you paid to get in Keanie Park?

And would you have went if there was no L£££erty?

I went once last season. I might have gone otherwise as it was a nice night and beats sitting on the couch.

I've probably been to about 4 or 5 Burgh games in the last decade. Used to go to a few games a season when I was in school but that's going back 20 years.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Yep it definitely has. That and having a winning team on the park helps too.  I expect them to go on to win the league with regular crowds of 500+. 

Spending the kinda money we're all hearing you'd expect this league done and dusted by January.

Long term, I'd be looking at the Wosfl being a distant memory. Though that would need a serious upgrade in ground facilities.

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I went once last season. I might have gone otherwise as it was a nice night and beats sitting on the couch.

I've probably been to about 4 or 5 Burgh games in the last decade. Used to go to a few games a season when I was in school but that's going back 20 years.

Absolutely no need to have to justify yourself to anyone and Johnstone as a town has a very big potential catchment area if things kick in , unlike darvel outwith their big Scottish senior cup games I reckon that Johnstone could quite easily develop a damn good fan base here .

35 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

Absolutely no need to have to justify yourself to anyone and Johnstone as a town has a very big potential catchment area if things kick in , unlike darvel outwith their big Scottish senior cup games I reckon that Johnstone could quite easily develop a damn good fan base here .

Certainly a lot easier to reach Johnstone by public transport from Central Glasgow than Darvel.

46 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

I didn't take it like that. If it was my first ever Burgh game I'd have happily admitted it.

The signing of Lafferty will pull people in, but even without that the fact that they've had a couple of decent seasons and have money to spend is enough to encourage more people to go to games.

20 hours ago, Div said:

Keanie Park is a 10 minute walk from my house and I've never been to see the Burgh play.

I was very close to going along last night, but work got in the way. I'll definitely go and see them soon though.

Bit fascinated by what's going on to be honest, want to see what it's all about!

@Hedgecutter It'll be the one with the hot tub.

Can anyone expand on the theory of why Johnstone are going to significantly grow their long-term fanbase off the back of this circus when there are umpteen examples of clubs spending money only to see the Fairweather fans abandon them as soon as it stops? 

People there are sitting on Glasgow's doorstep (where all the trophies end up) and then you have St Mirren doing their best to attract young fans. They'll all have club loyalties already if they're half interested in football. 

2 hours ago, Shanner said:

Can anyone expand on the theory of why Johnstone are going to significantly grow their long-term fanbase off the back of this circus when there are umpteen examples of clubs spending money only to see the Fairweather fans abandon them as soon as it stops? 

People there are sitting on Glasgow's doorstep (where all the trophies end up) and then you have St Mirren doing their best to attract young fans. They'll all have club loyalties already if they're half interested in football. 

Have you watched SPFL football recently? Pound for pound I know where I would rather spend my money and it ain’t on the SPFL.

5 minutes ago, Mine Man said:

Have you watched SPFL football recently? Pound for pound I know where I would rather spend my money and it ain’t on the SPFL.

I do get that and I do agree with that but with the introduction of the ( so called half arsed pyramid system) then isn't that the level that our clubs are aspiring to ? 

2 hours ago, Shanner said:

I think a lot of SPL fans like myself like to dip into the WOSL from time to time to experience a different type of football and match day experience.

I used to go to every away game but with the cost of travelling and match day tickets I pick a local game to go and see most weekends when Motherwell are away from home.

More and more I'm seeing well kent faces at these games who I see at Motherwell home games. I also know some Killie fans who go to Hurlford when they are away from home.

Pretty sure fans of every non old firm team would come up with a similar scenario and this is one area I think WOSL teams like JB could benefit.

1 hour ago, Mine Man said:

The footfall at Celtic and Rangers suggests you're in a minority, and that's what loads of teams are competing directly with.

I've watched SPFL football of all levels and it's a mixed bag but folk support their teams and they will have as low an opinion of teams like JB as you do of the SPFL so convincing them to become fans is likely to take more than signing the odd washed up Rangers player. 

Edited by Shanner

24 minutes ago, santheman said:

I think a lot of SPL fans like myself like to dip into the WOSL from time to time to experience a different type of football and match day experience.

I used to go to every away game but with the cost of travelling and match day tickets I pick a local game to go and see most weekends when Motherwell are away from home.

More and more I'm seeing well kent faces at these games who I see at Motherwell home games. I also know some Killie fans who go to Hurlford when they are away from home.

Pretty sure fans of every non old firm team would come up with a similar scenario and this is one area I think WOSL teams like JB could benefit.

That's definitely a thing that has always happened and it's to be welcomed, but it normally only translates into occasional support for a lot of folk; it's better than nothing but also not really the kind of folk you can depend on to turn up in the pishing rain in January when they're scrapping relegation.

1 hour ago, Mine Man said:

I'm guessing Johnstone Burgh ain't paying out that kind of money to play every week in the Wosfl or the Lowland League 

At which point you're looking at £18 upwards.

I paid £18 to watch Queen of the South v Alloa last Saturday 

Edited by PossilYM

4 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

I'm guessing Johnstone Burgh ain't paying out that kind of money to play every week in the Wosfl or the Lowland League 

At which point you're looking at £18 upwards.

I paid £18 to watch Queen of the South v Alloa last Saturday 

The prices are mind-blowing for some Lower League teams in Scotland.

I think Edinburgh City are £11 this season in the league which is pretty good, but then you need to go to that awful stadium to see them.