What is your earliest memory of going to watch your team?

First game was home to Dundee Utd at the end of the 02/03 season, I hadn't really been too into football up until then but I think they were doing a fiver in or something that day - was a must win in the season we should've gone down, game finished 2-2.

My earliest actual memory of going to the football though was last game of that season at home to Livingston. We won 6-2, vividly remember Faddy skinning half the Livi team on his way to getting his hat trick.

First-ever game, at home to Albion Rovers in the League Cup, 1974. Lost 1-0. (Not the first game I'd been to but the question is about watching my own team.)

Second game was a fiasco: midweek at home to Brechin, game called off because the pitch hadn't been marked and still had the markings from the previous weekend's Highland Games. The supporters were already in and had to be refunded. The SFA treated us lightly as we were the new boys but Thistle still had to reimburse Brechin for their travelling expenses. Presumably we reclaimed that from the Council as it was their cock-up.

Killie were playing *Rangers at Rugby Park 1971/72 season. I was desperate to go but as a 10 year old I knew there was absolutely no chance I was getting the nod from my maw for that. The movie Battle of Britain was playing at the pictures in Irvine that afternoon (the Regal I think) so I asked for my pocket money to go to that. Standing at the bus stop in Dreghorn waiting for the Irvine bus I spotted the Kilmarnock bus stopping over the road. After a milliseconds deliberation I was on the bus and off to the game. Got a lift over and kept the money for a quarter of midget gems and the bus home. 

I've convinced myself since that we won 2-1 but I think we got beat by the same score. My lasting memories are of the waterfall of pish passing my sandals from the boys  up the back of the terrace who seemed to spend the whole game drinking McEwan's export and how much I loved the Killie home strip. 

Tl:dr? I've been a Killie fan ever since. 

Wish I had gone to the fucking pictures.

It was Aberdeen 0-1 Partick Thistle in September 2002. David Lilley was the matchwinner for Thistle, according to AFC Heritage. 

I don't remember a huge amount about the game. I do recall six-year-old me being really confused because Aberdeen were at home but playing in their away kit. Perhaps understandably, I had never previously considered such an occurrence as even a remote possibility. 

In all honesty, I think I missed a fair chunk of the game because my dad's friend was away and I was using his season ticket at the back of the South Stand. So, when everyone stood up, that was it over for me. That, combined with the result, somehow didn't put me off, though. 

I was 4 years old and a lifetime of misery about to be inflicted on the 29th of April 1967 about a month before Celtic won the EC.

End of season game for the Dee against Rangers which finished 1-1, like Biggie it was sneaky in and I remember little about it except sitting on the wall at the Provie Rd end right behind the goal and Rangers scoring, loads of men were drinking from beer cans.

It was lifted over all the way after that, first time I remember getting a ticket for a match was Scotland v England in 1977, I think, when Kenny stuck it through Ray Clemence's legs for a 2-1 win.

On 21/07/2023 at 03:09, madmitch said:

Don't remember the first game  but remember the first season (67-68 Second Division) well.  St.Mirren didn't seem to ever lose.  Checking on the league table, they did only lose once. Probably lost away which I wouldn't have seen as only went to home games.  They won 27  drew 8 and  lost 1.  Scored 100 goals and  conceded 23.  Some team! They finished mid table in the First Division the following year. 

We were actually 3rd in November of that season (68/69) behind the cheeks, unbeaten after 11 games which culminated in my first ever game, against Rangers at Love St. when we won 1-0 with a GIL-shan @Arch Stanton goal in foggy conditions. Sadly we lost our next game (against Aberdeen I think) and managed to fight our way downwards to finish the season in 11th spot.

I was 5-y-o and lifted over the turnstiles so the attendance would have been 43500 (+1)!

Edited by btb

I was a mascot for Saints v Hibs in 1999.

Remember it being a boring game and the score was 1-1, so assume thats right.

Still got a photo of me on the pitch beside Nick Dasovic.

8 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

It was lifted over all the way after that, first time I remember getting a ticket for a match was Scotland v England in 1977, I think, when Kenny stuck it through Ray Clemence's legs for a 2-1 win.

That would have been 1976.

My first ever game was in November of that year.  It was at Palmerston against Dundee.  My dad's a Dundee fan which is why we went.

It was a 2-2 draw.  We came back from 2 down.  My abiding memory is of my dad being the only person in the main stand who leapt noisily to his feet when Dundee scored.  I was struck by the fact that he didn't seem embarrassed.

Idk everything's blurry when I try to remember specific dates and/or games. Sometime in the mid or late 90's probably, was at a POTY event in '97 so might've been then or earlier. Mainly remember my dad parking at the Civic and dodging traffic on Airbles Road, the Amber plastic coating on the season ticket, climbing the Cooper stand and looking for the seats that had our names on them. Freezing night games with my hands pulled through the sleeves of my jacket while it was still buttoned up. That specific anxiety you get when being sent alone to the pie que at half time.

Being an Aberdeen fan growing up in West Fife my earliest memory is walking across the links to Pittodrie for a game against The Pars sometime in the early 70s. I am pretty certain Pars supporting relatives were there as well but I don’t remember anything whatsoever about the game. 

My first memory of a game was seeing Celtic at East End Park, it must have been near the end of a season and part of the 9 in a row run as I remember the Celtic fans singing ‘oh it’s magic you know it’s going to be ? in a row!’ 

The first Aberdeen game I remember was a cup game at East End later in the 70s which we won 1-0 with Harper scoring. I was in the main stand with my Dad and my abiding memory is a constant stream of fans being led out by the police as it was all kicking off on the terraces. 

1965. Best year in our history. Scottish champions.

Towards the end of that season this young 8 year old and his pal were taken to Rugby Park for my first game  by my dad. It was only a reserve game against Morton and we played on the bing slope behind the terracing for most of the game. Dad wasn’t impressed when I asked him what the score was when we were walking home after the game. I honestly hadn’t a clue and hadn’t an interest. 
I began following Killie in 1967 and witnessed the almost terminal decline of the club after this, not realising on the importance of what I had missed out on until many years later.

Another reply is that my very first game was the League Cup final against Falkirk in the 50s. Apparently it was a cold and miserable day but I was warm as toast albeit with the worst view in Hampden. My mum was very pregnant but couldn’t miss the biggest game she had experienced.  Goes to say I have no recollection of any of this.

When I finally saw us actually winning something in 1997 I was probably more emotional than most.

The beauty of following a wee diddy team……."

image.png

My brother took me to me first game. I was 6 , he was a fair bit older than me. He’d joined the RAF the year before, so he didn’t  get home on leave much as he was stationed abroad, but on his rare visits back home he took me to this match. I really don’t remember much about it but he tells me I wasn’t very interested in the game but I’d taken my toy cars and was playing with them on the wall in front of the terrace  behind the goals (Davie Cooper Stand). I think we managed another game that season but wasn’t till the next season, when one of my uncles took me along with my cousins that I started going more regularly and got more into the game. Don’t go to the games that often myself now, my brother even less, but I’ve still got the programme from my first game.

IMG_2577.jpeg

3rd September 1988. On a trip to visit family (we lived in England at the time). I begged my dad to take me to my first Celtic game. Which happened to be at Douglas Park for a reserve game between Hamilton Academical and Celtic. Back in the day when the reserves would play the same opponent at the same time but switched around. Celtic won the match 4-2. The only things I really remember is Danny McGrain was playing for Hamilton and some old boy was giving him abuse all game (I think it was the old Accies fan Fergie?! Maybe) And a Celtic player scored a hatrick (possibly Gerry Creaney or Gerry Britton?!)

The first team game at Celtic Park was 2-1 to Celtic. 

With my late Uncle Alex. My dad wasn’t into football, my grandfather was an Ayr fan and all my mates were Rangers fans… so he’s pretty much the reason I ended up a well fan.

I was 8 or 9 so it’s a bit vague (too lazy to check exact details) The old first Division, the season we were promoted… 3-0 win versus East Fife (?) only memory really is a fantastic chipped goal. 

Edited by WellHappy

14 hours ago, blackislekillie said:

Killie were playing *Rangers at Rugby Park 1971/72 season. I was desperate to go but as a 10 year old I knew there was absolutely no chance I was getting the nod from my maw for that. The movie Battle of Britain was playing at the pictures in Irvine that afternoon (the Regal I think) so I asked for my pocket money to go to that. Standing at the bus stop in Dreghorn waiting for the Irvine bus I spotted the Kilmarnock bus stopping over the road. After a milliseconds deliberation I was on the bus and off to the game. Got a lift over and kept the money for a quarter of midget gems and the bus home. 

I've convinced myself since that we won 2-1 but I think we got beat by the same score. My lasting memories are of the waterfall of pish passing my sandals from the boys  up the back of the terrace who seemed to spend the whole game drinking McEwan's export and how much I loved the Killie home strip. 

Tl:dr? I've been a Killie fan ever since. 

Wish I had gone to the fucking pictures.

The home side definitely won on that occasion.

2002/03 season and we used to get free tickets at primary school. 

In my first game we lost 5-1 to Livi. Went back a couple of weeks later and we lost 2-1 to Dundee United after they scored in the first minute.