St Mirren V Dundee

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

On the subject of decision making.

Why do our “assistant referees” seem to take no part in the game aside from throw ins, corners and offsides?

There were a number of decisions yesterday involving shirt pulling, pushing and other fouls that the official on the West Bank touch line clearly witnessed but never alerted the referee to. It’s fcuking baffling at times. 

“In general, assistant referees are responsible for assisting the referee with:

- whether the whole ball has passed outside the field of play

- which side is entitled to return the ball into the field of play

- offside offence decisions

- managing substitutions (where no fourth official is present)

- identifying offences or other infringements where the referee does not have an adequate view

All decisions by the assistant referees are only advisory to the referee; their decisions are not binding and the referee is allowed to overrule an assistant.”

I can remember a documentary from a bunch of years back with a ref that was one of the top refs in England at the time (so well known, I can't remember who 🙄).  Before they headed out to the pitch he clearly told the assistants that they would be expected to cover off-sides and not much else.  Basically, he would make the call on most incidents. The last paragraph in your quote is in line with that. So, unless you see something major just don't bother me! 

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

On the subject of decision making.

Why do our “assistant referees” seem to take no part in the game aside from throw ins, corners and offsides?

Much easier when the ref is having a mare to keep your head down. We equally don't hear what they are saying so we can't tell they aren't saying something.

What really winds me up is assistant refs who have steadfastly refused to give anything no matter how blatant and how close they are all of a sudden leaping into action to give an innocuous free kick for a defender falling over.

1 hour ago, rainbowrising said:

I can remember a documentary from a bunch of years back with a ref that was one of the top refs in England at the time (so well known, I can't remember who 🙄).  Before they headed out to the pitch he clearly told the assistants that they would be expected to cover off-sides and not much else.  Basically, he would make the call on most incidents. The last paragraph in your quote is in line with that. So, unless you see something major just don't bother me! 

One thing that really irked me yesterday - we give away our second foul shy of the match, and it was definitely a foul shy and possession turns over to Dundee. Owen Beck then takes a long shy and his trailing leg is so far off the ground he nearly boots himself in the back of the head! A very minor thing that I wouldn't give a shit about normally but was just as much of a foul shy as ours, just for a different offence.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

One thing that really irked me yesterday - we give away our second foul shy of the match, and it was definitely a foul shy and possession turns over to Dundee. Owen Beck then takes a long shy and his trailing leg is so far off the ground he nearly boots himself in the back of the head! A very minor thing that I wouldn't give a shit about normally but was just as much of a foul shy as ours, just for a different offence.

Professional footballers unable to take a throw in is fcuking incredible.

The daft one by Taylor would have been seen in Primary school playgrounds back when we had hair on our heids. 😂 

I thought we were fantastic first half, Dundee were fantastic in teh second when Tiffoney came on, he really made a difference.

I cant see Dundee being in any trouble this season.

Was nice to see Baccus looking back to his best especially in the first half.

Edited by MarreZ

13 hours ago, johnnydun said:

As shite as we were, and as great as St Mirren apparently were, we still ended up with more shots on target. Not that it matters, as it's only the final score that does. However if that's a regular St Mirren performance, I would not be surprised in the slightest if we end above you come seasons end. I'm not fishing or trying to insult it's just the way I see it. Tried to tell Patrick Thistle fans the same thing last season too. Must be a Glasgow thing. 😏

That is very much our game, and you're not the first visiting fan to make these points since Robinson arrived. I genuinely don't believe you're finishing above us though.

VAR still having its issues. The Mandron foul inside the box was 100% a pen. Even though I never saw the incident in real time. 

However how they didn't see the Grieve goal is shocking. Having seen it back several times it was a goal all day long. 

Was disappointed how easily we fell out the game. Strain went missing and was not as effective first half. 

We missed O'Hara for his energy but Boyd Munce has a brilliant delivery. 

50 minutes ago, AW saint said:

However how they didn't see the Grieve goal is shocking. Having seen it back several times it was a goal all day long. 

The angle could not conclusively prove it was a goal.

Ergo, the on-field decision (no goal) stood. 

9 minutes ago, elvis said:

We sit right at the side of w1 ourselves and everyone around us were adament  it was well over the line we were in disbelief when it wasn't allowed .

And in real-time, everyone was adamant this was over the line:

0_Japan-goal.jpg 

18 hours ago, johnnydun said:

As shite as we were, and as great as St Mirren apparently were, we still ended up with more shots on target. Not that it matters, as it's only the final score that does. However if that's a regular St Mirren performance, I would not be surprised in the slightest if we end above you come seasons end. I'm not fishing or trying to insult it's just the way I see it. Tried to tell Patrick Thistle fans the same thing last season too. Must be a Glasgow thing. 😏

For all the pressure being put on us in the last half hour, we still created more clean cut chances than Dundee did in that time period. Dundee huffed and puffed after the goal (which let's be honest, came from nowhere) but created nothing to trouble Hemming apart from one shot that was dealt with easily and a good save from a one on one following Bolton's error. They look like they are full of e

On the other hand, during our poorest spell of the match, we scored a goal that looks from every angle provided like it should have counted, we hit the crossbar and we miss a header that looked easier to nudge in than head clean over. Even when the energy levels do inevitably drop off, there is still the opportunity to break within the side whereas Dundee looked like they were struggling to come up with anything of substance.

4 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I wish we’d had goal line technology back in the day for the 1983 Scottish Cup Semi Final replay…..

Outcome would still have been - goal The Rangers. 

Edited by Bobby_F