St Mirren V Dundee

10 minutes ago, Ric said:

, we rented our stadium out for cold hard cash, in exactly the same way we do for the Scottish national side, or any other party willing to pay the costs. Celtic rented our ground because theirs was not available. We were one of the closest stadiums with good facilities, and they paid handsomely for it.

Per St Mirren's most recent published accounts, this is not true. The deal was arranged under the premise that St Mirren directors at the time got a 45% discount on merchandise in the temporary shop.

2 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

I don't even care about the fact your club put a fucking celtic store on the side of their stadium, other than the fact it's a total minter. 

I also don't care what you think about Dundee and their administrations. 

So there is all of that. 

If you don't care, why even mention it?

If you want honestly, I know it wasn't a good look, the people who did the deal should have been stronger with the branding elements, but as I say, while the optics are not great the finances were. There weren't any St Mirren fans when Celtic played their games, we never bought scarves, waived flags or sang songs. Which is why the accusation is just so daft.

As for talking football, every post I've made on this thread has been about the game, other than posts replying to people making daft claims.

I've already said, in my first post, that I have a bit of a soft spot for Dundee.

23 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Per St Mirren's most recent published accounts, this is not true. The deal was arranged under the premise that St Mirren directors at the time got a 45% discount on merchandise in the temporary shop.

Come now, if you are going to run the joke at least say it's a (19)67% discount. ;)

34 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

That made me laugh! I'll give you that... 😄

Had a wee peek through the unofficial Dundee forum. What a difference I had to double check it was a Dundee forum . Very mature and balanced put a bit of faith back into their supporters. Always go into the pub at the top of the hill on the corner. Always found Dundee fans a good bunch.  Looks like we have their kindergarten club infested this thread. Did you guy's get your drum returned ? I hope so as that was bang out of order. 

Just now, ZingaliMan said:

Had a wee peek through the unofficial Dundee forum. What a difference I had to double check it was a Dundee forum . Very mature and balanced put a bit of faith back into their supporters. Always go into the pub at the top of the hill on the corner. Always found Dundee fans a good bunch.  Looks like we have their kindergarten club infested this thread. Did you guy's get your drum returned ? I hope so as that was bang out of order. 

Boom boom!

On 10/08/2023 at 12:33, DeeTillEhDeh said:

There was only ever one sectarian team in Dundee - and no it isn't United. They rejected sectarianism when they were formed (after the splitting of Dundee Hibernians) - the sectarian element formed a separate club.

Dundee Hibernian were a sectarian club? A lot of the Hibernian clubs were formed because other teams weren't keen on taking on Irish immigrant catholics. And a lot of them were also charitable organisations so it's important to be careful with language like that. I think it would be fairer to say the Irish clubs in Scotland were formed as a result of a sectarian society rather than them being sectarian themselves. I understand outside of history books, it's not a universally accepted fact that Scottish society had such a problem but it existed across the whole of the UK. I thought it was a nice touch when Dundee United released their green away kit to celebrate their heritage rather than seeing it as something to be ashamed of or hidden. 

From the link posted above:

The match day officials for Saturday's match against Dundee are as follows:

Referee: Colin Steven
Assistant Referee: Calum Spence
Assistant Referee: David Dunne
Fourth Official: Grant Irvine
VAR: Nick Walsh
Assistant VAR: Graeme Stewart 

Oh, and make sure you buy a 50/50 ticket - https://www.stmirren.com/estore#!/50-50-Matchday-Draw/c/146456036 - I'm feeling lucky. :) 

p.s. - for the Dundee fans on here, there's weans' entertainment before the game:

Between 1pm and 3pm on Saturday we will have a range of activities behind the Tony Fitzpatrick Family Stand for children of all ages and plenty for the big kids to get involved in as well. It’s not just for home fans as away fans are also more than welcome to join in.

The best bit is that all activities are FREE of charge and funded by the club and SMiSA so get down early to be part of all the fun! 

• The Jungle Run
  • Bouncy Castle
  • Nerf Wars
  • Gladiator challenge
  • Facepainting
  • Assault course
  • Target football

5 hours ago, Buckets said:

Dundee Hibernian were a sectarian club? A lot of the Hibernian clubs were formed because other teams weren't keen on taking on Irish immigrant catholics. And a lot of them were also charitable organisations so it's important to be careful with language like that. I think it would be fairer to say the Irish clubs in Scotland were formed as a result of a sectarian society rather than them being sectarian themselves. I understand outside of history books, it's not a universally accepted fact that Scottish society had such a problem but it existed across the whole of the UK. I thought it was a nice touch when Dundee United released their green away kit to celebrate their heritage rather than seeing it as something to be ashamed of or hidden. 

Not Dundee Hibernian - when they became United some wanted to be sectarian- I think they ended up at the third incarnation of the now defunct Dundee Harp (not to be confused with the juniors Lochee Harp).

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh