QP v Arbroath - Arbroath v QP

We have been so poor defensively that this game is giving me the absolute fear - like statues against a team that will pop it for fun, fully expecting 0 points from these 2 games unless there’s big improvement and a good new left back / defensive midfielder in the door. 

Currently only 6 tickets left in Arbroath end from the 220 allocation so that’ll sell out in no time. 

Good start for us at Inverness. The most pleasing aspect is that I think we actually have more quality to show than we did. Attitude was spot on and it was a good team performance. Thought Arbroath were poor, but United were very good at Gayfield.

Don’t think Arbroath will be as open as Inverness, so it’s likely to be a very different challenge. Hopeful that we can get a result, but any drop off in this league and you’re likely to be nursing a bloody nose.

Line up will depend on signings, but I don’t think I’d be making any changes to the starting XI. Paton linked up well and Hepburn looked like he was getting into his stride. Longridge has done everything asked of him in unfamiliar territory as well. 

6 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Less than 20 left when I bought 2 just after 1pm, so I'm surprised that there are any left at all!

Disappointed in such a small allocation - are Queens likely to sell out theirs?

The Queen of the South game last week was sold out and that was basically a friendly so that seems likely. I can only see 2 tickets left in the home end.

1 minute ago, Zanetti said:

The Queen of the South game last week was sold out and that was basically a friendly so that seems likely. I can only see 2 tickets left in the home end.

Fair enough. Good to see Queen's attracting bigger crowds.

200-odd total crowd in Hampden in the bottom division (with only around 50 from Arbroath) was always surreal.

4 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Fair enough. Good to see Queen's attracting bigger crowds.

Certainly more ST's sold this year, but also need to factor in the Lesser, sorry City, 'Stadium' capacity reducing the allocation....more so than Ochilview did last season. 

Edited by Spider1975

Looking forward to this double-header but I'm not overly confident. Towards the end of the game on Saturday Highland Thistle exposed some weaknesses in our defence and may well have got lucky with an equaliser. There's no doubt we were, by far, the better team but by not really capitalising on our possession it could have ended differently. 

On the other hand, I recognise this is a new team with a new first team coach so the approach will be different. We're still playing the possession game, looking for opportunities and building from the back - it's interesting that our first goal came from pressing the Inverness defence which is what I expected that they would do to us.

Arbroath are capable of grinding a result as they showed against Dundee last season - this ain't going to be easy.

We just look way too easy to play against - nobody puts a fucking tackle in it is winding me up something rotten. Never seen teams run right through the middle of us so easily before in a long long time. We have a lot of good football players for me but what I would give to see us just look robust and like an actual team unit - even if we were to come away on the wrong end of the result it would be something positive to take moving forward 

Sort the left back position out and play with a defensive midfielder and we can start collecting points - whoever plays upfront will need better service too.

Balde is a really good player, but if he is in any doubt who to distribute the ball to please just punt it up the park - I'd rather that than passing to the opposition ! 

Suspect there will be changes in midfield from last week's debacle. 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

I thought there was plans for terracing behind the goal’s? 

Was able to get 2 tickets so at least il not miss it. Genuinely don’t know what to expect on Saturday. 

I thought there was plans for a stadium but, hey ho.

It’s hard to see how we win any games in the Championship with the current squad. We’ve signed some cracking attackers but totally failed to address the left back and defensive midfield positions. Playing Scott Stewart at lb also robs us of a good right winger. I’m off to Hampden on Saturday with my heart in my mouth. Please prove me wrong Lichties.

I'm going to inject some positivity, because it feels like we are the most emotional fanbase on here.  A week ago, we were looking good for the season, with excellent signings, but now we are doomed for relegation after taking a shoeing from a phenomenal Dundee United team.  Lets maintain some perspective!  The important thing for me was that at half time, our heads did not drop, and we fought on.

I think we will not be fool enough to play 4-4-2 again. Queens Park aren't the same team as Dundee United, and I think will play in a more patient midfield dominated passing style.  We need our 3 in midfield to ensure we aren't overrun.

Firstly, I'd drop Hylton.  No reflection on him, but if you're going to play a gung ho left winger, you need a supporting defender, and we don't have one.  We actually have a right back, so I'd play Stowe as a marauding right winger, as it is a better balance, with possibly Dow on the left in a deeper role.  I would also take Stewart out of that left back role, he got totally destroyed last week, and I felt bad for him, as it wasn't his fault.  Given our lack of defenders, surely its got to be Gold who goes in there?

Our midfield 3 needs the right balance.  This concerns me, as so far, we've had a different midfield partnership every game.  Is there some thought there, or is it just a tombola?  Gold won me over big time last season, but I think he should play left back.  Annoyingly, that defensive role should probably go to Jacobs.  He's slow, but he can protect the back line and .  The more central midfield slot can then go to one of our dungeon of midfielders.   Allan/Slater/Balde etc.  Then in that attacking midfielder role, do you play McKenna or Turan?  The reality is of course that our midfield partnership will likely be whoever comes out of the pre -match tombola.  Up front, I'd stick with Bird for now.

I think we can get a result here, I don't think Dundee United is going to be reflective of our season!