Dundee V Hearts

13 hours ago, JamieThomas said:

I'm told Gordon Smith was that good that nobody who saw him play cared about his club

My old man's cousin always described himself as a Gordon Smith fan. His dad (my dad's uncle) liked football, but didn't really follow a team, so there was no pressure to follow anyone in particular, and they moved around a fair bit, so there was no "local team" as such. They started going to see Hibs when they lived in Leith, and Jimmy became so enamoured with Smith that when they moved again, wherever they went, he and his dad always tried to "get to see Gordon Smith". They were never going to the football, or to the Hibs game, they were going to see Smith.

When Smith moved to Hearts, Jimmy was in his 20s, and just stopped going to Easter Road, and headed for Tynecastle instead. When Smith went to Dundee, same deal. When he retired, Jimmy stopped going to the football, and never regretted it.

Jimmy probably seems a complete weirdo when you see this written down, but he was the nicest, most down to earth guy you would ever meet. He still kept up with Scotland games on the radio, and latterly watched on the telly, but he never attended another match in person after Smith retired.

33 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Pretty sure he called Dundee fans the 'worst in the world' whilst he was playing for us. Probably because we booed him onto the pitch.

Was such a weird move all round. Sending a club legend on a short term deal to a team who'd spent the previous 10 years revelling in Hearts blowing the league.

Wasn't likely to be well received by anyone.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

My old man's cousin always described himself as a Gordon Smith fan. His dad (my dad's uncle) liked football, but didn't really follow a team, so there was no pressure to follow anyone in particular, and they moved around a fair bit, so there was no "local team" as such. They started going to see Hibs when they lived in Leith, and Jimmy became so enamoured with Smith that when they moved again, wherever they went, he and his dad always tried to "get to see Gordon Smith". They were never going to the football, or to the Hibs game, they were going to see Smith.

When Smith moved to Hearts, Jimmy was in his 20s, and just stopped going to Easter Road, and headed for Tynecastle instead. When Smith went to Dundee, same deal. When he retired, Jimmy stopped going to the football, and never regretted it.

Jimmy probably seems a complete weirdo when you see this written down, but he was the nicest, most down to earth guy you would ever meet. He still kept up with Scotland games on the radio, and latterly watched on the telly, but he never attended another match in person after Smith retired.

Was there not someone on here that did similar but with Colin Nish?

Which is considerably stranger considering Nish wasnt very good.

4 hours ago, Alberto Spencer said:

Willie Jamieson was a part-timer with Dundee and working as a barman in Derby's Pub in Gorgie (now The Laich) which was run by Jackie Macnamara (Snr) & Ralphie Callachan when I played against the pub for another pub on Saughton 's plastic pitch. I'd always thought Willie was gash but he dominated the game scoring a hat trick (the other two ex pros were quite good too). I had more respect for him after that.

Even more respect when he scored that 30 yarder in the last minute against Celtic for Hearts in a 1-1 draw. It certainly seemed to upset Gerry McNee the TV commentator! Willie missed the vital penalty in that weird League Cup 4-4 game at Dens when Henry Smith took (and missed) a penalty referenced in a post above.  

Willie never let us down. Solid pro. 

7 hours ago, Alberto Spencer said:

Willie Jamieson was a part-timer with Dundee and working as a barman in Derby's Pub in Gorgie (now The Laich) which was run by Jackie Macnamara (Snr) & Ralphie Callachan when I played against the pub for another pub on Saughton 's plastic pitch. I'd always thought Willie was gash but he dominated the game scoring a hat trick (the other two ex pros were quite good too). I had more respect for him after that.

Even more respect when he scored that 30 yarder in the last minute against Celtic for Hearts in a 1-1 draw. It certainly seemed to upset Gerry McNee the TV commentator! Willie missed the vital penalty in that weird League Cup 4-4 game at Dens when Henry Smith took (and missed) a penalty referenced in a post above.  

Hopefully the Hearts fill the away end but doubt they are capable - despite the fact we routinely fill the away end at Tynecastle.

Wheres the raging old fella from two seasons ago? Can't remember his name on here but he went on about 'medicine day' all week in regards to the email fiasco. In the end Cummings scored a late equaliser and the only medicine required was the re-bandaging of the skittery tarpaulin that separated the fans as the Derry trampled over it in joy.

With Hearts in Europe on the Thursday hopefully we can sneak the win, although give me a point right now and i take it.

One things for sure that Tiffoney should replace Cameron after that last twenty in Paisley and if Pineda is worth anything to us he should replace Robinson. I rate Cameron highly but he's performed for 15 minutes over the last two games and looked lost at times. Robinsons display in Paisley was worrying although he didn't look fully fit to me.

Would be good to see French come on for the last twenty with his pace on the right with a look at starting him against Perth which is already an opportunity to grind them into their relegation coffin.

Thank you.

Edited by Dundee-FC92

On 13/08/2023 at 16:33, Shadow Play said:

That someone may as well be me.

Thank you.

IMG_2676.jpeg

People seem to forget it’s twice Dundee caused hearts to lose the league, the year killie won it I think 65/66 or 64/65 on goal average by  something like 0.00002 of a goal , Charlie Cooke had the game of his life in 7-1 victory for the Dees at Tynecastle, even just 6.1 and hearts would’ve won the league 

IMG_1013.jpeg

Edited by Wee jeemie
Found the match report

5 hours ago, Wee jeemie said:

People seem to forget it’s twice Dundee caused hearts to lose the league, the year killie won it I think 65/66 or 64/65 on goal average by  something like 0.00002 of a goal , Charlie Cooke had the game of his life in 7-1 victory for the Dees at Tynecastle, even just 6.1 and hearts would’ve won the league 

IMG_1013.jpeg

Yeh, I think I’m correct in saying Hearts would have won the league that season if is was decided on goal difference like it is now.

I think what made that day at Dens stand out so much was the unbeaten run Hearts had gone on that season.  It just felt like it was their year.  Unfortunately for Hearts Albert Kidd never received the memo.

If truth be told if Hearts had been playing any other team that day I would have much preferred Hearts to win their last game of the season and therefore win the league.  In fact once I got home I regretted Hearts never won the league* but football is a funny thing.  When you’re cheering on your team you are in the there and now and not thinking about much more than hoping your team wins.

*For the purposes of P&B I obviously reserve the right to continue to use Albert Kidd for petty point scoring……..

4 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

If truth be told if Hearts had been playing any other team that day I would have much preferred Hearts to win their last game of the season and therefore win the league.  In fact once I got home I regretted Hearts never won the league* but football is a funny thing.  When you’re cheering on your team you are in the there and now and not thinking about much more than hoping your team wins.

*For the purposes of P&B I obviously reserve the right to continue to use Albert Kidd for petty point scoring……..

I've considered this a few times over the years. I reckon if Hearts were playing a Dundee at Tynecastle and Dundee needed a result to win the league ahead of the OF, I'd be delighted to see Hearts get beat.

Of course, I understand the piss-taking etc, but I don't see where the joy would be in saying 'Mind that time we helped the OF win the league? Fucking brilliant!'. Unless it was Hibs, of course.

I have no beef with Dundee over the result. Fair's fair. I find St Mirren fans' attitude to getting fisted at home to Celtic and helping them win the league to be utterly weird. But, that's their choice. I was one, so it's never really been personal to me.

26 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Yeh, I think I’m correct in saying Hearts would have won the league that season if is was decided on goal difference like it is now.

I think what made that day at Dens stand out so much was the unbeaten run Hearts had gone on that season.  It just felt like it was their year.  Unfortunately for Hearts Albert Kidd never received the memo.

I feel/felt exactly the same. There is something highly amusing though seeing the disappointment on the faces and the tears etc. Felt that way today after the ‘lionesses’ got pumped. 
I’m in hospo for this one, hoping for a win but expecting not to. Hearts playing in Europe obviously gives us an extra wee chance. 

58 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I've considered this a few times over the years. I reckon if Hearts were playing a Dundee at Tynecastle and Dundee needed a result to win the league ahead of the OF, I'd be delighted to see Hearts get beat.

Of course, I understand the piss-taking etc, but I don't see where the joy would be in saying 'Mind that time we helped the OF win the league? Fucking brilliant!'. Unless it was Hibs, of course.

I have no beef with Dundee over the result. Fair's fair. I find St Mirren fans' attitude to getting fisted at home to Celtic and helping them win the league to be utterly weird. But, that's their choice. I was one, so it's never really been personal to me.

To put it into further context we had a chance of going into Europe and for once not just on a Thomas Cook holiday.  Just before the first goal a rumour swept the Derry that Rangers were getting beaten at Ibrox.  I think the players sensed the rumour as well.  

No phones in those days of course to check the scores.  Just the usual older men with a radio held up to their ear.

Could not agree more with you regarding the last bit I highlighted.  A very strange attitude to take. And for the avoidance of any doubt Dundee United did not win the league at Dens.  They won the league over the course of the season - if I were to use what appears to be the logic of most United fans I know 🤣

7 hours ago, Buddie Holly said:

did dundee stop hearts from winning the league mid 80s?

or was it st mirren?

Both played a big part in it, along with Hearts and Celtic.  Of course, we should say a league is won and lost over a season but we all know how we think of such games i.e. Dundee relegated Utd on May 3 2016, Utd won the league at Dens in nineteen-oatcake. 

For me, Dundee didn't go out to win the league for Celtic, we went out to win a place in Europe for ourselves - the title battle was secondary.  Regardless of the European place there is something in us football fans that never want out teams to lose a game, even if a win results in an unfortunate side-effect for our team.  The only exception to this would be if it involves our local rival benefitting.  I guess this tells me I dislike Utd more than I dislike the OF - which is true. 

If it weren't for this forum, the events of 1986 would probably not be so much in the minds of Dees.