Partick Thistle vs QP

Buzzing for this one. We’ve started very positively in the league so far and we’ve shown to be a real force going forward, whilst having some more resilience about us (or just an actual structure defensively now). Arbroath and Inverness appear to be sides that might be down the bottom this season but you still need to beat what’s in front of you. 9/9 still exceeded what I thought we’d get from those games massively

Seems like a very slow start for thistle and not many if any of their new signings are standing out as of yet reading online. Not taking anything for granted as they have the likes of McMillan, Graham, Lawless and Mcinroy, who have shown to be excellent against us in recent times

Play with the same bravery and desire and there’s no reason why we can’t get 3 points. Seems potentially a great time to play thistle 

Edited by qpfc

3 hours ago, qpfc said:

Arbroath and Inverness appear to be sides that might be down the bottom this season but you still need to beat what’s in front of you. 9/9 still exceeded what I thought we’d get from those games massively

You must have had extremely low expectations if you didn’t expect to beat Arbroath twice having watched them on opening night.

6 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

You must have had extremely low expectations if you didn’t expect to beat Arbroath twice having watched them on opening night.

I think a lot of our fans did/do have relatively low expectations for this season to be fair, but Inverness away was the one I personally didn't necessarily expect us to win.

2 hours ago, Zanetti said:

I think a lot of our fans did/do have relatively low expectations for this season to be fair, but Inverness away was the one I personally didn't necessarily expect us to win.

Think most other sides will definitely see QP as one of their tougher games on paper.

Would be surprised if you weren’t Top 4 again.

9 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Think most other sides will definitely see QP as one of their tougher games on paper.

Would be surprised if you weren’t Top 4 again.

I think the manager being new to the country, a reasonable amount of player turnover, and having the youngest team in the division (probably by a decent margin) left quite a few people feeling uncertain but it seems to be coming together quite nicely so far.

2 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I was certainly very reserved regarding league expectations given our early cup performances and majority of the recruitment consisting of players nobody had heard of from academies and that we had a 16 year as our 1st Choice keeper. Naturally on paper, that looks fairly daunting going into the league campaign. Even on the predictions thread, loads have us between 7th and 8th, even a few at 9th. Think after the way we ended last season also, people may have thought our bubble might of burst 

Seeing us properly in the league now has reassured any early panic regarding potential dogfights for relegation across the season (early days still but there’s 2 or 3 teams immediately I know we’re better than). A push for promotion play offs or above will suffice for me

I’d be very surprised if Neilson doesn’t come in for this game. It was Muirhead who actually cost us a goal yesterday, but Williams was all over the shop and I’d expect him to drop out.

Other than that, not sure if we’ll make any changes. QP look to be one of the better sides in this league, but they’re clearly worse than Hearts so hopefully a better result for us. 

Not sure how this one will go tbh. After Doolan came in Partick did great towards the end of last season but couldn't quite get over the finish line. They've lost a couple of good players since then and results haven't been brilliant so far.

For me, QP are still a team in transition and I'm not sure how our young team will stand up to the rigours of the full Championship season. Top half is what I want.  In all honesty, I expect the Jags to be there too. Time will tell.

One all draw I think which would be good for Queen's but disappointing for Thistle.

Not looking forward to this. Team currently composed of a small handful of decent players (Fitzpatrick,Milne,McMillan and Lawless)surrounded by a sea of dithering meh .Doolan needs to get back to basics this week on the training ground if we're to scrape a point.

Edited by I Clavdivs

I never usually say I'd take a draw but, given the form of the two teams, I'd probably be happy with that on Saturday.

Two very different teams from play offs and two very different levels of confidence.

I'd be delighted with a point from this one. We have looked pretty good though, on the whole, since the league got going and I have thought that Thistle might struggle early on with good players leaving and new signings maybe needing time to bed in, so it's definitely winnable if - big if - we can convert our chances.

I'll take a good performance though, even if we lose.

As enjoyable as the first three games have been we’ve still much to prove. If our wins were against Dundee Utd, Ayr and Thistle I’d be feeling confident but we’ve beaten the bottom two teams and by slim margins. The productive play of Robson and Thomas at Lesser was disrupted at Arbroath and whilst Cammy Bruce is very able for his age he’s not yet subconsciously competent in his defensive work enough to push forward in attack. The left side was further troubled by putting Jarrett in who is very dangerous around the box but not the competitive player that Saturday’s fixture needed. That, and Veldman’s substitutions, suggest the coach is still learning about his players and likely will for a while yet. This tricky balance between squad development and winning games will be the coach’s biggest challenge this season.

My other concern at the moment is that it seems we have a proper striker, and that’s a great relief, but to be challenging every week we need to see much more goal threats from the midfield. And as Fox already made known the big defenders need to be chipping in with goals/assists from set plays. That’s two areas where we should be improving the goal count from fairly quickly.

I’d expect goals from both these teams but it will be very tight. 2-2 would be a good day out.

43 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

As enjoyable as the first three games have been we’ve still much to prove. If our wins were against Dundee Utd, Ayr and Thistle I’d be feeling confident but we’ve beaten the bottom two teams and by slim margins. The productive play of Robson and Thomas at Lesser was disrupted at Arbroath and whilst Cammy Bruce is very able for his age he’s not yet subconsciously competent in his defensive work enough to push forward in attack. The left side was further troubled by putting Jarrett in who is very dangerous around the box but not the competitive player that Saturday’s fixture needed. That, and Veldman’s substitutions, suggest the coach is still learning about his players and likely will for a while yet. This tricky balance between squad development and winning games will be the coach’s biggest challenge this season.

My other concern at the moment is that it seems we have a proper striker, and that’s a great relief, but to be challenging every week we need to see much more goal threats from the midfield. And as Fox already made known the big defenders need to be chipping in with goals/assists from set plays. That’s two areas where we should be improving the goal count from fairly quickly.

I’d expect goals from both these teams but it will be very tight. 2-2 would be a good day out.

You know that currently we are 3rd bottom?

2 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

You know that currently we are 3rd bottom?

Aye, after three games. Also saw enough of you last season and know enough about the Thistle squad to know they’re a decent side.