Partick Thistle vs QP

QP were pretty much as I thought pre season, play really nice football but will get themselves into trouble by overplaying it (eg 3rd goal) too often to do real damage and probably not enough of a plan B. Really liked big Tizzard at the back though. 

Lawless and Milne were excellent for us and Mcinroy took his goals well. Wasn't totally convinced with Stanway tbh although the yellow card probably neutered him a bit second half. Interesting we used Ngwenya as a winger, didn't really see enough of him on the ball to see how useful he would be going forward but his defensive side was handy given the game state. 

Neilson even if at fault for the goal made a big difference and Sneddon didn't do much wrong outside the mad rush of blood chasing the ball. 

Great to get the first win on the board and hopefully all the fucking doom mongers can have a week off. 

Thistle deserved that but I’m not leaving the match feeling too disheartened. Unfortunately despite some promising showings in the cup game, Bruce got absolutely roasted by McMillan and lawless and ultimately that cost us the game. Not a clue why Robson is sitting as a sub. Time and time again, lawless would cut inside and play an excellent reverse pass into McMillan who had all the space in the world. I was just relieved to go into half time 2-1 

Second half was much more like ourselves and we had thistle on the ropes considerably for 10-15 mins but our final pass or shot was lacking. Thomson particularly should have buried his chance which he hit over the bar. Shot ourselves in the foot with the 3rd goal and ultimately the game was gone at that point 

Thought Tizzard, Fox and Spong all had decent games although I’d question Tizzard’s concentration levels for Graham’s goal. That’s the difference for these guys playing in a proper 1st team environment now compared u23 football down south. Tizzard has all the attributes to be a top player but he has couple moments of stupidity now and again. I’m sure it’ll be coached out of him, he’s here for 3 years 

It’s a team that’s only going to get better but we need to accept that having several inexperienced players comes with moments like today, errors will be fairly apparent across the season. 

This was the type of performance that we must expect from time to time. Our finishing is not clinical enough and we need another powerful striker for support. I was surprised to see Bruce favoured over Robson. We never got the understanding that Tommy has with Dom like the first game against Arbroath. As the season goes on we should improve but it will be a rollercoaster.

A good game with two teams trying to play attractive football on the deck. But well played Thistle. They dominated the first half after our wee opening spell. We huffed and puffed in the second half but I don't remember us warming Sneddon's hands. 

Silly mistake for the third goal, which will happen playing kids but enough on show there today to give us optimism for the season ahead.

Very much enjoyed that.

McInroy took both of his goals really well, second a bit of a gift from a throw in. Know it was only a cameo but Robinson gave me encouraging vibes, looked a bit like a right footed, less skilful but much quicker version of Stevie Lawless.

Fox was good for QP imo but didn't quite have the options on the ball, constantly trying to make things happen for QP though and generally stood up well to Graham, Tizzard as well.

Not surprised the QP left back got subbed, Lawless and McMillan down the right were overloading him to great effect in the first half & it was noticeable just how often QP lost the ball from the keeper playing it to his side and it drifting out for a throw in to us, must have happened about 5 times. Robson was noticeably better at giving the keeper a distribution option when he came on.

Think QP still looked good even without Eze and Boateng tbf, thought they'd have been big misses from your side.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

56 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Very much enjoyed that.

McInroy took both of his goals really well, second a bit of a gift from a throw in. Know it was only a cameo but Robinson gave me encouraging vibes, looked a bit like a right footed, less skilful but much quicker version of Stevie Lawless.

Fox was good for QP imo but didn't quite have the options on the ball, constantly trying to make things happen for QP though and generally stood up well to Graham, Tizzard as well.

Not surprised the QP left back got subbed, Lawless and McMillan down the right were overloading him to great effect in the first half & it was noticeable just how often QP lost the ball from the keeper playing it to his side and it drifting out for a throw in to us, must have happened about 5 times. Robson was noticeably better at giving the keeper a distribution option when he came on.

Think QP still looked good even without Eze and Boateng tbf, thought they'd have been big misses from your side.

Good summary.

Boateng yes, Eze no.

Mentioned this at half time but I wasn't aware til now if Scotland had adopted the new / World Cup injury time protocols. Last week when we weren't playing on Saturday I was in the house watching soccer Saturday and almost all the Scottish lower league games finished before the first English game and none of the games we'd played so far this season had gone on for ages, so I'd assumed this change hadn't happened in Scotland like it has in England. 

Today we had three and a half minutes added to the end of the first half and seven on the second. There were no injury stoppages in first half, so the ref was clearly using the new rule. 

I don't have a massive issue with this new rule but it's really shit that it isn't communicated to the crowd below Premiership level, i know it never has been but the difference between expecting 3 or 4 minutes or having 7 or 13 minutes is quite significant. 

Edited by Fuctifano

Great to get back in point winning business yesterday against a very competent looking QP where a big change in attitude made the difference in a still embryonic side.Once we get central midfield sorted out we’ll really start to kick on ,felt we let QP boss midfield for large parts of game where Fox had acres of space to stroll forward and spray the ball around at ease .

McInroy is going to be important for us this season ,however,felt everyone looked at the races yesterday with no major bomb scares.

QP obviously have a very young side but will for sure be up there when the reckoning is done .

Far too many unforced errors, not something we've been guilty of so far. And every feckin corner kick went straight to the keeper, which is a recurring theme.

I felt for Cammy Bruce as Lawless absolutely roasted him. Taking him off at half time was probably the lesser of two evils, better than leaving him on.

We're going to have days like this.

11 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Eze arguably saved his best (only?) performance for QP against Thistle last year.  Lovely guy but the nickname of the Random Header Generator wasn't far from the truth.

Most of us thought we'd struggle without Boateng, however (& say it quietly), there's a growing sense that we have found an upgrade in Spong - does everything that Mal did, with arguably a bit more dynamism.

Was mentioned previously by @Bring Your Own Socks but the game v Arbroath at Lesser was the Tommy and Dommy show on the left.  The 'project' calls for developing youth, so it seems that Veldman will have to find a balance between this and pragmatism.  Litmus test on this will be the starting line up against a resurgent Rovers next week away.

Whilst it wasn’t a complete performance yesterday and I still think there’s some cause for concern in the midfield but it was much improved from Airdrie with no one really having a bad game. Thought McInroy was excellent and will definitely be crucial for us this year, Lawless having started the season quite slowly IMO was sensational. Felt Bannigan played well in the middle and the partnership of Muirhead/Neilson was certainly better. Neilson seems far more calmer to being the ball out of defence than Williams and nowhere near as panicky. Scott Robinson also looked decent when he came off the bench, hopefully can stay fit. Didn’t think Queen’s Park were too bad in spells, looked threatening at times but lacked something in the final 3rd, and basically gifted us the 3rd goal (although we did the same for their goal). 

Enjoyed that yesterday. Took along my saints supporting mate with me as he was at a loose end and he didn’t fancy watching them get pumped at Parkhead… don’t reckon he’ll be doing that again. 

On the game, Aero an absolute standout for me. Kept it very simple and defended brilliantly. McInroy’s first was a good finish, especially since he fluffed a chance very similar to that just before it. Also thought Graham took his goal really well, good touch and finish. Couldn’t really see what happened for the third from behind the goal. Did we just press their defence well? 

Really pleased for Stanway. Had a good game I thought, again kept it simple. Loves a booking though. 

Only criticism from my point of view was we continually didn’t press in the midfield. Allowed them to keep coming at us without putting any pressure on the ball. Invited them to have a go and we started causing our own problems. More than happy with the result though. If you had offered me a 3-1 win before I’d have bitten your hand off for it.

It's mad to think that a team that has undergone a lot of change in key positions is still finding its feet under a relatively novice, coaching team....

A well considered starting eleven by the manager. Had a couple of big decisions to make, and I feel he got them spot on.

Yesterday was a decent performance, with all the starters getting passmarks. Also good to see more considered substitutions by Doolan

Next week is a different game altogether. Hopefully we can get a similar result.

If we take the chance at 2-1, who knows? We didn’t deserve anything from the game, though. McPherson and Bruce both got a bit of a chasing. Felt we were a wee bit too passive as well. We’ll hopefully take the lessons from it.

1 hour ago, an86 said:

If we take the chance at 2-1, who knows? We didn’t deserve anything from the game, though. McPherson and Bruce both got a bit of a chasing. Felt we were a wee bit too passive as well. We’ll hopefully take the lessons from it.

An even enough game with Thistle deserving the win. No catastrophe, but I'd be starting with Robson and Longridge next week. I still think we need one or two more recruits if we are to manage squad rotation throughout the season and give enough minutes to the developing players without burn-out.

34 minutes ago, Velvet Donkey said:

An even enough game with Thistle deserving the win. No catastrophe, but I'd be starting with Robson and Longridge next week. I still think we need one or two more recruits if we are to manage squad rotation throughout the season and give enough minutes to the developing players without burn-out.

I’d start Robson but I’d definitely keep McPherson in for now. He had a tough game yesterday and yes he made a backside of the 3rd goal but there’s a right good player there and did a great job up at Arbroath last week and still offered options going forward. Bruce in comparison just looked so lost in almost everything which is understandable as he is literally only 17 just now

Edited by qpfc