Partick Thistle vs QP

5 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Had a look at the 2016-17 season just to remind / torture myself.

We took a one goal lead into the last ten minutes on 12 occasions. We won 4, drew 6 and lost 2 (both to Rangers at Firhill :green) so that's 18 points gone

We took a one goal deficit into the last ten minutes on 7 occasions. We won 0, drew 1 (away to Killie) and lost 6, one point gained so net 17 lost in last ten that season.

You're not going to win every tight game but that's horrible.

Oh, I remember doing one too.

For season 2017/18 - my impression of your own good self:

On 19/02/2018 at 22:13, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Doubtless someone will end up pointing out that I've made some daft basic data entry error along the line but, assuming I've managed not to do any double counting or silly mistakes with the formulas, I put together a wee spreadsheet that makes grim reading. A couple of snips of my feeble attempt at being @Fuctifano below, for anyone interested, hope they're legible :

image.thumb.png.5ba7a5356ee12099cbd58f50e506da98.png

(all goal times taken that were used are from the PTFC website so there may be some errors along the way, but I'd assume its more accurate than the Beeb; stats from the above graphic apply to league fixtures only)

The above doesn't include cup games but maybe worth mentioning that we did score late through Elliot against Stranraer and from Doolan against Rangers to take the cup game to ET (but, quelle shock horror, the arse collapsed in the latter despite Doolan's 90th min goal and we lost 3-1)

We've lost 12 points in total from goals on 76+ minutes (Ross County away to draw 1-1 with an 85th min Schalk goal; Motherwell away to draw 1-1 from Ciftci on about 85 mins; Aberdeen at home to go from 3-3 to lose 4-3 through a late Rooney goal; Dorrans goal in the 2-2 against Rangers was on 76 mins according to the OS so that's squeezed in; Hearts phantom Callachan goal in the 1-1 at Firhill on roughly 80 mins; Murray's double for Dundee in the 2-1 on Saturday just there on 85 and 90)

By contrast, by my count we've only salvaged 3 points from goals on 76+ minutes; the late winner against Dundee got us an extra 2 points and the late equaliser at Tynecastle.  Edited to add: I had to check for the sake of my own sanity for the Dundee game because I was sure both goals were in the last 10 mins, but the OS has Edwards goal down as being on the 74th minute. Both these late goals were rendered as being pretty much contra entries by the reverse fixtures tbh. An honourable mention due to Connor Sammon for his late goal against County in the 2-0 win at Firhill, saved a twitchy last few minutes at least.

Netting off our points gained from goals we've scored in 76+ mins against points we've lost from goals conceded on 76+ mins indicates that we've lost 9 points overall.

-

We've lost 20 points from winning positions (! : we led Hibs 1-0 via Erskine first day of the season and lost 3-1, we led Aberdeen 2-1 in the 4-3 loss, we led County 1-0 and drew 1-1, led Rangers 2-1 and drew 2-2 albeit with Erskine's red card mitigating things, 1-0 up to 1-1 against Hearts with the phantom Callaghan goal, 1-0 up on Celtic from the Sammon penalty to lose 2-1, 1-0 to 1-1 against Motherwell through Ciftci, and finally 1-0 to 1-2 against Dundee on Saturday).

By contrast, by my count we've only salvaged 5 points this season from losing positions; we salvaged a draw from Hearts away which sort of balanced out with the home draw against them, came back from 1-0 down to ultimately draw 2-2 against Rangers, and beat Dundee 2-1 at home from 1-0 down, thanks largely to luck and a Cerny pen save... which as per the Hearts game pretty much balanced out in the end.

Netting off the clubs points gained from losing positions vs. the clubs points lost from winning positions, we've chucked away 15 points this season.

I also had a look at our margins of victory and defeat for all wins and losses:

image.png.078b1797b29440526e9ee55fd46137e4.png

(cup and league margins of victory and defeat. Also technically lost on penalties in a draw with Livingston, but that isn't included in the above stats, however the cup loss AET to Rangers is) edit: just noticed there that there's some rounding discrepancies. Serves me right for using an Excel knockoff tbh

Would seem pretty clear that teams are better at killing games off against us when they're at home than we are against them; 6 out of 9 defeats away are by 2 or more goals (Hibs, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, Rangers, Dundee, Celtic) whereas we've only won home games by 2 clear goals or more twice this season (Ross County and the cup game against St Mirren, who are in the league below) and my arse is still twitching from the 3-2 Motherwell game.

TL;DR : This season by the numbers - it ain't pretty.

haha i kept reading from where i posted that, week after those stats must've been the Hamilton game we lost 2-1?

can laugh now, was pretty seething at the time tbh

On 24/02/2018 at 16:59, Thistle_do_nicely said:

We're now up to 23 points flung away this season from league matches where we've been leading by a goal or more, and 14 points lost from goals on 76+ minutes. It's something you can get away with to an extent if you're also able to battle back when you're losing, but from every single match where we've been a goal or more down away from home in the league this season, we've came back to take a grand total of 1 point. Spineless. Would be nice to support a team like Kilmarnock that aren't complete bottle merchants tbh.

Why does this keep happening? Why hasn't it been fixed? Why are other teams able to come from behind to take points against us but we crumble so often? What's the fucking point?

image.png.c080fb6d4ff021c00311fc990e8ceea3.png

23 hours ago, Smurph said:

vietnam GIF

Peculiar sense of humour that involves images of a naked child running with her skin flapping from her body after a US napalm strike and a Vietnamese man being executed by gunshot to the head by another Vietnamese man. I’ll give you the benefit of doubt seeing as you’re a Jags fan but that’s very poor taste. Two of the most notorious atrocities in modern history. Not in anyway funny.

Just took a stroll with the dug past the beating heart of the eclectic West End (ok,North for the pedants) and have to say the pitch is looking perfect and ready for the Glasgow Derby .Really need 3 today to have any chance of victory so reality says 2-2 at best for us but really need a better performance than those against Hearts and Airdire….the elusive Mr Robinson to make an appearance today ?

Really looking forward to this game. Some great tussles last year. PT are a fantastic club.  They really looked after my grandson when he was temporarily in a wheelchair. However I do hope we continue our winning start to the season but that you start on a good run AFTER today.

Yes indeed,the real Glasgow Derby...free of the mindless invective and poison of  the Uglies,played in the true spirit of ,I dare say,Corinthia .

Anyhoos..how many of you real ale swilling,open toed sandled wearing,model train enthusing Beardies are coming today ?

Will be paying attention to this.

I cannot help but think QP may be in a false position, having played Arbroath twice. This will be a tough test, but if the Spiders can win here then it really will portend a great season ahead for them. 

However, I think Thistle will edge this: 2-1 to the home side. 

1 hour ago, an86 said:

Either team could win this 5-1. Destined to be another extremely silly season, I think. 

Yup, too many unknowns to call this one. However I am looking forward to having a half decent view of what's happening on the far side of the pitch for once.

18 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Peculiar sense of humour that involves images of a naked child running with her skin flapping from her body after a US napalm strike and a Vietnamese man being executed by gunshot to the head by another Vietnamese man. I’ll give you the benefit of doubt seeing as you’re a Jags fan but that’s very poor taste. Two of the most notorious atrocities in modern history. Not in anyway funny.

Your posts are like napalm to the eyes...

Normally you'd say just keep it tight for a couple of minutes after the second goal but you feel with this team that they're capable of conceding at any point. 

Quite similar to the playoff game not just in terms of the pattern of scoring but there's more goals in this for both sides. They're pressing really high but if we get past that then there's acres of space in midfield. Also feels like both teams will give up a chance from a centre half getting caught in possession

I didn't think Scotland had adopted the "World Cup" injury time rules but we must have done as there was no reason for three and a half minutes injury time there otherwise, neither trainer on and no obvious time-wasting so must have been pauses for the goal celebrations.

The QP sub getting booked for handball was one of the weirder sights of the season, it looked as if it was going to hit the corner flga and stay in so I wonder if that's why he encroached onto the pitch to handle it.

The QP goalie was very close to the edge of the area, I know you can have your feet outside and catch it inside but I'm not convinced it was behind him when he first handled it.

Edited by Fuctifano

4 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I have no idea what happened at Queen’s goal but I’m assuming it was shambolic. 

Milne was tracking Hepburn and sort of tackled the ball into Neilson who mis-controlled it out to the edge of the area and Paton side-footed it down the middle, don't know if Sneddon unsighted or took slight deflection but was nowhere near the corner.

122a779109901e0be7801acd8eb32e10.gif.e4ecef2bd11037c9890a2a044b3a0d42.gif

Good to put the plucky South-siders to the sword.

Needed that win and negated their fixture manipulation which could have seen them go 11 clear if they had won.

Entertaining game, but Jags deserved it on the day.

Enjoyable game, and deserved winners. Really good finish by McInroy for his second goal, and thought they kept their shape well when holding on to it - which we didn’t do at all against Raith. I liked Ngwenya when he came on, and I thought all of the midfield played well but especially Stanway just keeping it simple. And Muirhead was really good. 

Queen’s play some nice stuff but just weren’t clinical enough with their finishing or final ball too often. You can tell it’s quite an inexperienced group of players.

Also, Lewis Neilson: officially better than Wasiri Williams.