St Mirren - v - Aberdeen 27 August

Aberdeen are a big club with a big support, a big stadium, a big budget, and a 3rd force in Scotland squad. If the famous can’t handle the big time - Europe and a trip to a wee diddy club with no stars above their crest, then tough titty.

😀

8 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

League fixtures are put together by the League funnily enough, not the association.

The league clubs in Europe are, funnily enough, the biggest and most powerful clubs in the League.

Its totally up to the clubs to decide on cancelling league fixtures to help themselves in Europe.

I suggest you point your annoyance in the direction of your own club in the first instance.

The clubs playing in Europe get a -deserved - financial reward for playing there, which allows them to increase the size of their squad. If they have to ring the changes for league games to be more competitive in Europe then so be it.

Postponing league games when they have European ties probably will help them in these ties, but it seems to me that it'll also help them in the league fixture. Why should the other teams agree to that?

5 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

The clubs playing in Europe get a -deserved - financial reward for playing there, which allows them to increase the size of their squad. If they have to ring the changes for league games to be more competitive in Europe then so be it.

Postponing league games when they have European ties probably will help them in these ties, but it seems to me that it'll also help them in the league fixture. Why should the other teams agree to that?

If the OF, Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs wanted to cancel these games to help themselves in Europe then it would happen.

They are gaslighting us and trying to make out that it’s some entity other than themselves that decide the fixtures.

7 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Nothing to do with “as a country”

The clubs themselves - including Aberdeen - have decided not to go down that route.

Stop the gaslighting 

Actually if the clubs of this country decided to do that, then it would be “as a country”. 

Pedant. 

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Actually if the clubs of this country decided to do that, then it would be “as a country”. 

Pedant. 

Nothing to do with pedantry. You’re attempting to gaslight by using terms such as “as a country” and “association” to make out that some entity other than the clubs involved decide the league fixtures.

Sevco, Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs could all do with this weekend’s games being cancelled to help them into the group stages. It could be Celtic next season, I’m hoping it could be St Mirren next season.

The clubs themselves have it within their own gift.

Stop trying to make out that there is anyone to blame for your club’s situation here other than your own club. 

1 minute ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Nothing to do with pedantry. You’re attempting to gaslight by using terms such as “as a country” and “association” to make out that some entity other than the clubs involved decide the league fixtures.

Sevco, Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs could all do with this weekend’s games being cancelled to help them into the group stages. It could be Celtic next season, I’m hoping it could be St Mirren next season.

Stop trying to make out that there is anyone to blame for your club’s situation here other than your own club. 

What on earth are you ranting about? I responded to a post asking for association help to say that would be a bad thing. 

Go find an argument in a different empty room you strange lad. 

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

What on earth are you ranting about? I responded to a post asking for association help to say that would be a bad thing. 

Go find an argument in a different empty room you strange lad. 

My apologies to you, I took your original post as sarcasm.

If your post was genuine then it’s hardly an “empty room” though otherwise you wouldn’t have made it you strange lad 😘

1 minute ago, Captain_Sensible said:

My apologies to you, I took your original post as sarcasm.

If your post was genuine then it’s hardly an “empty room” though otherwise you wouldn’t have made it you strange lad 😘

You can read my thoughts on this issue on the sportsound thread in response to Allan Preston moaning about hearts playing on Sunday. 

I meant it. 

13 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Strong 'learned the word gaslight this morning, but hasn't quite worked out what it actually means yet' vibes here.

If we're going to draw a connection between Aberdeen's European tie and their potential performance on Sunday, then I'd suggest us Buddies would want them to remain very much in the tie tomorrow night. 

They already have the comfort blanket of the Conference group stages, so if they take a pumping tomorrow night, they might just think "f**k the second leg" and play their strongest team on Sunday.

3 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

If we're going to draw a connection between Aberdeen's European tie and their potential performance on Sunday, then I'd suggest us Buddies would want them to remain very much in the tie tomorrow night. 

They already have the comfort blanket of the Conference group stages, so if they take a pumping tomorrow night, they might just think "f**k the second leg" and play their strongest team on Sunday.

I’m in. Get McGrath on penalties.

Surely at some point you're going to have midweeks and short recovery periods? 

Aberdeen will be the strongest team, at least on paper, that we've faced this year and their squad seems pretty decent. Really sets the mark for how well or otherwise we might do this year. 

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You can always tell when st Mirren have won a game or two in these threads. 

Correct. We get to bask in the glory, and be a bit gallus for a while. Enjoyable it is too. Don’t spoil it.🤪

Tough game on Sunday as Aberdeen always is and always should be really. 

That being said, our home record and Aberdeen coming off the back of a midweek European trip should be the equaliser here. We had a similar situation a few seasons back when a couple of games into the season, Aberdeen sent a pretty burst looking team to Paisley on the Sunday following a European game and we came away with a relatively comfortable 1-0 win. It's not outwith the realms of us seeing a similar situation this Sunday.

Still don't think I'd have us as slight favourites like the bookies do though. Aberdeen have a significantly stronger squad on paper and far more resources at their disposal that nearly 2/1 for them is a huge price.

3 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

League fixtures are put together by the League funnily enough, not the association.

The league clubs in Europe are, funnily enough, the biggest and most powerful clubs in the League.

Its totally up to the clubs to decide on cancelling league fixtures to help themselves in Europe.

I suggest you point your annoyance in the direction of your own club in the first instance.

Calm down, he's in the vast minority here.