Raith vs Queen’s Park, 2 Sept 2023

Raith coming off a first win at EEP in some time and looking reasonable sorted, versus a Spiders side that had a perfect start derailed at Partick. Should be a juicy display of football at Stark’s Park. Raith have a possible question at CB, with Murray having to go off at the end of the Pars match and only Masson on the bench and Corr unlikely to be healthy by then.

9 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Predicting a QP trajectory of a Russian Moon shot for this season.

It's possible, but I think we've seen enough already this season to feel relatively optimistic. Even yesterday we played some decent football, but my expectation is that we'll be a bit hot and cold. Having a proper goalscorer is quite often the difference maker at this level though and we've got one of them in Ruari Paton.

Edited by Zanetti

Bayern Munich, eh?

Right, now that's out the way, should be a very interesting match. Queens have started very well aside from yesterday's hiccup against Partick. Paton looks like he's fitting right into the team. I saw yesterday from Kenny Crawford that Dom Thomas is the only player lover 24 which is ridiculous.

Absolutely no idea how this will pan out. You'd have to hope we have Euan Murray back or that we're looking at reinforcements at centre half. 

September is going to be an interesting month with Dunfermline and Ayr at home and Utd and Rovers away.

Two very different games at Starks last year, the 5-2 was a good win but a slightly flattering score line, the loss was pretty one sided.  

Expect Robson to start at LB.  We will start converting the possession and chances into goals and give someone an absolute shoeing but I have a funny feeling it might not be until a fit Grant Savoury comes back in and I doubt it'll be next weekend either. 

It'll be a pleasant surprise if we win.

1 hour ago, Spider1975 said:

September is going to be an interesting month with Dunfermline and Ayr at home and Utd and Rovers away.

Two very different games at Starks last year, the 5-2 was a good win but a slightly flattering score line, the loss was pretty one sided.  

Expect Robson to start at LB.  We will start converting the possession and chances into goals and give someone an absolute shoeing but I have a funny feeling it might not be until a fit Grant Savoury comes back in and I doubt it'll be next weekend either. 

It'll be a pleasant surprise if we win.

The 5-2 was a really weird game, absolutely no doubt your lads deserved to win but the score didn’t reflect the game that day, everything you did came off and everything we did just fell apart. Interesting to see how Saturday goes as I’ve no idea how good QPFC are despite being top. You looked really good last year but obviously the wheels came off at the end. This league is really hard to call so far with everyone capable of beating everyone. How many fans do you think will come through for this one? Hopefully we can keep the run going but while we’re undefeated we’re certainly not strolling games. 

The team are young but have gelled really quickly.  They keep a high tempo and retain possession well whilst creating a lot of chances - all they're not doing is converting enough of them.  On the whole and despite many fans fears (& with the exception of Grant Savoury who's out with an ACL injury), the team is an upgrade on last year.  Spong > Boateng (IMHO) and Paton seems to have filled that Simon Murray-shaped void up front.

I have a feeling QP might get turned over, but it should be a good game.

As for travelling support I have no idea.  Appreciate it's a bit of a running joke, but the club are trying really hard to promote the team in the local community with lots of interaction with schools etc and have recently launched a scheme for current ST holders to purchase an additional U15 ST for a tenner.  Hopefully all this will bare some fruit, but it's obviously a long term project.  What was a little galling recently was seeing 20-odd people standing on the grass embankment outside Lesser watching the 'sold-out' home match v Arbroath a few weeks back!  

I'm hoping that with an away day at Bala the week after, (which only the hardcore will make) and a few home games coming up, there might be a decent level of travelling support.

9 hours ago, Chrisrush1471 said:

If Murray isn't fit, is the obvious replacement not Liam Dick?  With Scott McGill staying at left back 

Yep, that strikes me as a question, and Masson is the only defender on the bench…just saying we’re not all rainbows and unicorns yet.

1 hour ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Been reading a lot about the QP keeper being scouted by some decent sides. I assume any sale will include a deal to keep him at QP for the season?

Most QP fans were surprised to see him start against ICT.  The ones that weren't, were surprised when he kept that start for the next games.  He's genuinely good with his feet and has got ability, maturity and confidence far beyond his years.  He's definitely got something about him. 

A lot of rumour re sale but nothing of substance so fas as we're aware.  As for loan-back, who knows.  Just not Arsenal - Arteta bloody ruined KT, not having him do it to someone else!

On 27/08/2023 at 17:34, Spider1975 said:

Spong > Boateng (IMHO)

Caught in possession and then immediately loses out in the 50/50 leading to Thistle's second on Saturday. I've been pretty impressed with Spong, and obviously individual mistakes will happen, but I've not seen enough yet to suggest he's an upgrade on Boateng.