Rangers v Celtic - The Old Allocation Derby

I only saw the foul a couple of times on my phone but it doesn't look like much of a foul to me tbh, and certainly not the obvious foul some folk are making it out to be. Had that led to a corner or a missed chance rather than a goal it wouldn't have been mentioned or looked at other than to say that the defender needs to be stronger. In the VAR world we're in now though, every incident in the lead up to a goal gets looked at and so seeing it in slow motion it may well be a very soft foul. So it doesn't look like a foul for me, but I can see why a VAR would look at it and give it, if that makes sense. I'd be raging if it went against my team tbh.

Frustrated Rangers will contact the SFA to demand answers over Kemar Roofe's disallowed goal against Celtic.

It's understood the club will reach out to Head of Referee Operations Crawford Allan to look for answers over his team of officials' decision-making process during the incident.
The 28th minute flashpoint came after Cyriel Dessers robbed Gustaf Lagerbielke of the ball and teed up Roofe to fire past Joe Hart. Referee Don Robertson allowed the goal to stand but he was quickly called to the VAR screen with the team at Clydesdale House, headed up by Alan Muir, suggesting a foul had been committed on the Swede. Robertson watched the replay, agreed with his colleague that the footage showed an infringement and the goal was overturned. Celtic went on to win the game 1-0 after a goal from Kyogo just moments before half time.

Sources at Rangers say officials at the club are bemused by the decision pointing out that any decision to intervene by VAR has to be on account of a clear and obvious error by the referee.
And while some pundits have agreed with the outcome, many have not, including former grade one referees in Scotland and a Sky Sports Referee Watch panel where all three experts said the wrong decision was reached. That included influential and experienced former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher. This has led Rangers to wonder how the criteria for a clear and obvious error could have been achieved and reach out for answers.
Gallagher said: "I think the referee got it absolutely right on the pitch. I don't think it's a foul.
"Dessers gets in front of the defender and he's committed no foul at that point. All I can think is that when he looks at the screen, he thinks he pushes him. If VAR hadn't intervened nobody would have been [questioning it]."
The win for Celtic puts them four points clear of their old rivals with only four fixtures played in the Scottish Premiership season.

Having seen the comments from another, ahem, "top ref" from England in the very recent past, nobody should ever treat anything that mob say with respect ever again.

In the meantime, the decision from the Falkirk delegate (me) is that it looked fine in real time but replays showed it was clearly a foul.

No goal, and stop crying, Rangers. No further correspondence will be entered into. 

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I only saw the foul a couple of times on my phone but it doesn't look like much of a foul to me tbh, and certainly not the obvious foul some folk are making it out to be. Had that led to a corner or a missed chance rather than a goal it wouldn't have been mentioned or looked at other than to say that the defender needs to be stronger. In the VAR world we're in now though, every incident in the lead up to a goal gets looked at and so seeing it in slow motion it may well be a very soft foul. So it doesn't look like a foul for me, but I can see why a VAR would look at it and give it, if that makes sense. I'd be raging if it went against my team tbh.

Try and remain standing when your leg is taken away from you and your balance is disrupted at speed. It was a foul, folk just need to accept it.

Edited by LuboMoravcik

2 hours ago, bennett said:

Another top ref has his say but wee Jinky knows better.

I think the opinion of Dermot Gallagher on any VAR related decision is now someone tainted. The opinion of someone happy to bend the laws to help his mates probably isn’t the best example. 

I do love the patronising wee Jinky comment though, it only underpins how livid you are.

Edited by Jinky67

2 hours ago, AJF said:

This is quite a selective way to try and point out why you disagree with it being a soft foul.

There were also plenty of fans of other clubs who believe it wasn’t a foul. 

What exactly is a soft foul anyway? I’m pretty sure fouls aren’t graded it’s either a foul or it isn’t and in this case the laws suggest it is.

Wont be long before you ask for clarification from the SFA anyway so let’s see if they can answer 

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

What exactly is a soft foul anyway? I’m pretty sure fouls aren’t graded it’s either a foul or it isn’t and in this case the laws suggest it is.

Wont be long before you ask for clarification from the SFA anyway so let’s see if they can answer 

2 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Frustrated Rangers will contact the SFA to demand answers over Kemar Roofe's disallowed goal against Celtic.

It's understood the club will reach out to Head of Referee Operations Crawford Allan to look for answers over his team of officials' decision-making process during the incident.
The 28th minute flashpoint came after Cyriel Dessers robbed Gustaf Lagerbielke of the ball and teed up Roofe to fire past Joe Hart. Referee Don Robertson allowed the goal to stand but he was quickly called to the VAR screen with the team at Clydesdale House, headed up by Alan Muir, suggesting a foul had been committed on the Swede. Robertson watched the replay, agreed with his colleague that the footage showed an infringement and the goal was overturned. Celtic went on to win the game 1-0 after a goal from Kyogo just moments before half time.

Sources at Rangers say officials at the club are bemused by the decision pointing out that any decision to intervene by VAR has to be on account of a clear and obvious error by the referee.
And while some pundits have agreed with the outcome, many have not, including former grade one referees in Scotland and a Sky Sports Referee Watch panel where all three experts said the wrong decision was reached. That included influential and experienced former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher. This has led Rangers to wonder how the criteria for a clear and obvious error could have been achieved and reach out for answers.
Gallagher said: "I think the referee got it absolutely right on the pitch. I don't think it's a foul.
"Dessers gets in front of the defender and he's committed no foul at that point. All I can think is that when he looks at the screen, he thinks he pushes him. If VAR hadn't intervened nobody would have been [questioning it]."
The win for Celtic puts them four points clear of their old rivals with only four fixtures played in the Scottish Premiership season.

:lol: 

23 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

I’d imagine soft foul is one that, as you suggest, is considered supported by the laws yet appears to be subjective. I’d say this probably falls under that category given the variance in opinion on it.

On 08/04/2023 at 23:52, Jinky67 said:

No he is repeatedly mentioning the disallowed goal and wasting his energy trying to convince us it was a wrong call, it was soft but it wasn’t wrong as a push on the back inside the box is a foul.

50 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

You should be able to tell us that one.

4 minutes ago, bennett said:

You should be able to tell us that one.

I am also sure that Jinky has used Gallagher's testimony before to support his position on a certain decision. I don't have the energy to check when but his opinion is now to be disregarded, it seems.