Banning Children

12 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

A row back from them was another family of six with dad in front with about a 4 year old and a 2 year old and mum one row back with i'd say a 5 year old and the 2 year old's twin. The twin with the mum was getting fidgety as flight was taxiing and she loudly proclaimed that if he 'didn't rap his fuckin shite, I swear to god ill rattle your arse', to a two year old baby FFS. The 4 year old, excited said 'when do we go on the plane' and she tutted and went 'we're on the plane the now ya mongo'

The problem in nearly 100% of cases isn't children, it's parents.

Christ, what chance have these poor bairns got in life with scum like that as parents.

My friend was working in the Scot-Mid on Easter Road years ago when a couple with a small toddler came in.  The toddler was crying a bit and the father (presumably) turned to the mother and said "Shut that c**t up!", referring to the upset child.  The kid will probably be in their 20s now, hope they are OK.

This might sound really old-fashioned but I'm 50-cough and wouldn't dream of swearing in front of my mum. My neighbours however - jeez-o.  The old woman across from us regularly has her family round and the language would make a docker blush. To hear a bairn of about 5 or 6 calling his gran a "greedy c**t" for not giving him more sweets was one highlight. 

However, I met two of the teenage grandsons down the street and they were exceptionally polite and well-spoken so it might just be reacting to the environment. 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

My friend was working in the Scot-Mid on Easter Road years ago when a couple with a small toddler came in.  The toddler was crying a bit and the father (presumably) turned to the mother and said "Shut that c**t up!", referring to the upset child.  The kid will probably be in their 20s now, hope they are OK.

Uncalled for and unacceptable. "Shut that child up" is sufficient.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

It’s a vicious circle though isn’t it?  There’s every chance that the father in turn had a father who was similar and there’s also a chance that the then kid is now talking about his kid in the same way.

This article popped up on my phone, kind of related - https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/aug/28/unspoken-grief-childless-men

If you look at the shady corners of social media it's full of strange men talking about women not having any eggs but that overlooks that some men really desire to have children but never do.  The article also states that there's an idea that men can just easily father kids at any age which isn't entirely true. 

Regarding the shady corners of the internet, a video of a young (late 20s) single woman describing her life on TikTok has gone viral on Twitter, with the predictable crew of strange men criticising her viciously.  I saw someone comment on it that the people piling on (or attempting to) are just bullies who want to feel superior and that they've won life by having a certain lifestyle.  

24 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

This article popped up on my phone, kind of related - https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/aug/28/unspoken-grief-childless-men

If you look at the shady corners of social media it's full of strange men talking about women not having any eggs but that overlooks that some men really desire to have children but never do.  The article also states that there's an idea that men can just easily father kids at any age which isn't entirely true. 

I'm sure that's true, but I'm not sure how much sympathy you're supposed to have for, "I was a shagabout who didn't want kids until my forties, and now I'm in agony". Everyone ends up with regrets in life, and he likely still enjoys a lifestyle that would have been curtailed if he'd had a family to raise. He could also have got involved in fostering kids who need help if he'd genuinely developed the need to be a father, and not just an urge to leave a legacy or to demand company in his old age.

If his main reason for wishing he'd had children is so he'd have his own needs met later in life, he made the right decision when he was younger. The last thing the world needs is more shite parents.

I've always found the "who will look after you in your dotage?" thing a bit stoneage. Who wants to inflict that on their own kids? 

Mrs is going through it right now with a pair of elderly, disabled parents who are at the point where they are a risk to themselves, no longer capable of living independently, and need to go into residential care ASAP. It's absolute hell. She has health issues of her own, works a 40 hour week with a significant commute, and is driven mental by the constant demands of Care workers and Social Work. She does what she can, but it's an enormous stress and she feels horrendously guilty for not being able to give them the care they need.

Care provision should be adequate, but it isn't, and it's invariably children and other relatives expected to pick up the shortfall. This is a societal/governmental failure, and not some sort of argument for having children in the first place.

State of the comments. Apparently his behaviour is definitely nothing to do with the parents, probably the school's fault, and also black people because none of them have fathers. People are lunatics, but it's AI we're all worried about the now.

47 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I've always found the "who will look after you in your dotage?" thing a bit stoneage. Who wants to inflict that on their own kids? 

Mrs is going through it right now with a pair of elderly, disabled parents who are at the point where they are a risk to themselves, no longer capable of living independently, and need to go into residential care ASAP. It's absolute hell. She has health issues of her own, works a 40 hour week with a significant commute, and is driven mental by the constant demands of Care workers and Social Work. She does what she can, but it's an enormous stress and she feels horrendously guilty for not being able to give them the care they need.

Care provision should be adequate, but it isn't, and it's invariably children and other relatives expected to pick up the shortfall. This is a societal/governmental failure, and not some sort of argument for having children in the first place.

The only answer to people looking after their own parents when they get old at the moment seems to be getting people to leave their own families abroad and taking over our responsibilities. The same as we do with doctors and nurses trained in 3rd world countries. There might be a solution in paying care workers far more than they get now but it would take reorganising the whole economy in terms of how we reward work and distribute money. 

30 minutes ago, BTFD said:

State of the comments. Apparently his behaviour is definitely nothing to do with the parents, probably the school's fault, and also black people because none of them have fathers. People are lunatics, but it's AI we're all worried about the now.

2016 - https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/microsoft-shuts-down-ai-chatbot-after-it-turned-into-racist-nazi/

2022; plus ca change - https://mashable.com/article/meta-facebook-ai-chatbot-racism-donald-trump

22 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Regarding the shady corners of the internet, a video of a young (late 20s) single woman describing her life on TikTok has gone viral on Twitter, with the predictable crew of strange men criticising her viciously.  I saw someone comment on it that the people piling on (or attempting to) are just bullies who want to feel superior and that they've won life by having a certain lifestyle.  

You realise you've just outed yourself as a voyeur of the shady bits of the internet, right?

On 06/09/2023 at 10:28, ICTChris said:

Francis Begbie Esq.