Banning Children

Empty It

9 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Why would anyone want to take their children to a pub? Why would anyone want to spend time in a pub with children? If the family is out for a meal, then Fairy Nuff (assuming the children are well behaved*) but if it's just drinking...I don't get it.

* This also applies to dogs, with the meal/drinking bit reversed.

Someone has to buy the drinks!

On 03/09/2023 at 10:37, Granny Danger said:

If I had the sort of money where I could fly in a private jet I would do it in a heartbeat.  It must be one of the best perks of being super rich.

I think if I had the money and young kids, I'd fly private whilst sticking the kids on a regular Ryanair* flight.  

Not just for the peace, but also so the nanny can get some duty free in, and if we're paying her to look after the kids already then they may as well go with her**.  Also, understanding how voters from the lower echelons of society act, and the practicalities of changing terminals are valuable life skills.

*otherwise you get an overall loss when extra seat prices exceed the duty free savings.  They also get to see more countryside with their destination airport being 50 miles from where I'd be.

** in case you're probably wondering, kids under 17yo get no duty-free allowance, and even if they did it's non-transferable.

Edited by Hedgecutter

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I think if I had the money and young kids, I'd fly private whilst sticking the kids on a regular Ryanair* flight.  

In Home Alone, the adults all fly business class while the kids are back in, to use the American term, "coach".  They justify this to themselves by saying that flying is an adventure for them anyway and it's not really remarked upon.  Clearly, this is by far the least concerning incident of child neglect in that series of films but worth noting anyway.

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

In Home Alone, the adults all fly business class while the kids are back in, to use the American term, "coach".  They justify this to themselves by saying that flying is an adventure for them anyway and it's not really remarked upon.  Clearly, this is by far the least concerning incident of child neglect in that series of films but worth noting anyway.

Its fine, i mean theyre all just in a big tube of each others farts. Nobody's going anywhere. 

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Its fine, i mean theyre all just in a big tube of each others farts. Nobody's going anywhere

Exactly.  Plus, if kids truly cared about their safety then they'd pay some attention to the safety brief.  Even that always says "put your own lifejacket on first before helping others", so even the airline is effectively saying get them tae f***.

8 hours ago, ICTChris said:

8 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Its fine, i mean theyre all just in a big tube of each others farts. Nobody's going anywhere. 

7 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Exactly.  Plus, if kids truly cared about their safety then they'd pay some attention to the safety brief.  Even that always says "put your own lifejacket on first before helping others", so even the airline is effectively saying get them tae f***.

Has no-one else seen Flightplan?

On 06/09/2023 at 11:42, Newbornbairn said:

This might sound really old-fashioned but I'm 50-cough and wouldn't dream of swearing in front of my mum. My neighbours however - jeez-o.  The old woman across from us regularly has her family round and the language would make a docker blush. To hear a bairn of about 5 or 6 calling his gran a "greedy c**t" for not giving him more sweets was one highlight. 

However, I met two of the teenage grandsons down the street and they were exceptionally polite and well-spoken so it might just be reacting to the environment. 

Just saw this.

Exact same here. I'm almost 40 and I'd sooner die than swear in front of my mum. 🤣

Find it really, really weird when folk swear around their kids or tolerate their kids swearing at them. Always thought it's just one of these boundaries.

1 hour ago, Hiram Holliday said:

Children don’t get arrested for being assholes on a flight. Adults do.

Goldie Lookin Chain's follow up single. 

10 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Just saw this.

Exact same here. I'm almost 40 and I'd sooner die than swear in front of my mum. 🤣

Find it really, really weird when folk swear around their kids or tolerate their kids swearing at them. Always thought it's just one of these boundaries.

I was the same until a couple of years ago. Never swore around my parents (still don't swear much around my dad save the occasional word) and it was a shock to hear either of them swearing when me and my brothers were kids. Even when we became adults my parents rarely swore around us. Old man drops a few more these days but not loads and only a couple of them.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I was the same until a couple of years ago. Never swore around my parents (still don't swear much around my dad save the occasional word) and it was a shock to hear either of them swearing when me and my brothers were kids. Even when we became adults my parents rarely swore around us. Old man drops a few more these days but not loads and only a couple of them.

Me and the missus were visiting my mum a while back and the missus dropped in a "Oh, f**k off", when she ran into trouble trying to use an app to book tickets for something. IN MY MUM'S KITCHEN! 🤣

I don't think I've ever shot her such a look! Disgraceful behaviour.

My auld mum only used sweary words when quoting someone else, mostly our neighbour, Joan. Even then mum would put her hand up to her mouth and whisper said sweary words. 
Joan was a right character, her sentences were twice as long as necessary because she would swear. 

Edited by Wacky

I didn't even realise that the English default is for children to be allowed in Pubs. I don't think it's devolved for us (in Wales). I'd always assumed it was the same as in Scotland where there's no kids by default and you had to jumo through hoops to get a children's licence.

I've been telling my kids they're not allowed in pubs. Apparently i' ve been lying inadvertently. I will now continue to lie deliberately. 

On 19/04/2024 at 08:53, Wacky said:

My auld mum only used sweary words when quoting someone else, mostly our neighbour, Joan. Even then mum would put her hand up to her mouth and whisper said sweary words. 

My Gran would say "effing and blinding".

1 hour ago, RawB93 said:

My Gran would say "effing and blinding".

My mate's mum, who is the second most devout catholic I've ever met (after my old fella) came home utterly scandalised after visiting some people of the parish. 

"Och their language was terrible. Everything was F this and F that...cvnt this and cvnt that". Apparently to her the c bomb didn't seem to register as that bad a sweary word for her to censor it. One of those moments where me and my mate were clinging to each other we were laughing so hard.

4 minutes ago, velo army said:

Apparently to her the c bomb didn't seem to register as that bad a sweary word for her to censor it.

:lol: 

Conversely, my Gran would censor by way of spelling out the word P-E-S-T when referring to me misbehaving, despite it not being a swear word.