Banning Children

2 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I find they need a bit of brown sauce.

a 6 year old cannibals son told me it was tomato sauce for children,brown for adults 

mind you he was 8 before he was 7

Old fashioned, no food pubs - no kids at all, maybe a literal newborn taken round the local a few times while not crying 

Craft brewery tap room type places that serve sourdough pizzas - babies and maybe well behaved toddlers, tend to be more spacious, comfortably furnished etc. 

Barns that mainly sell slop to be washed down with the worst pint of Stella you've ever seen - fill your boots, bonus if they have one of those weird soft plays in the corner. 

The people upset about the lad with the sign in the OG tweet are obviously almost entirely looking for attention but there is something about some people on the kid free debate that's a bit strange. It doesn't necessarily apply to this case, and I'd say most are live and let live, but there's definitely a lot of people who say "I/we don't want to have kids but that's just my/our decision, no problem with them" but actually look at people having children with a sort of horrified fascination. And that seems a little bit worrying to me, although maybe like all types of weirdos they've always existed but the internet makes them more known to us 

17 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Saw this tweet generating heated discourse on Twitter, reminded me that there's a thread on this subject on here

Is there an official term for a young person that goes through a dog phase? There seems to be a trend when the person has competed uni/travel/partying where they then focus all their attention on getting an expensive accessory dog breed that they parade about for a while before they have children or get consumed by their careers and then the dog goes to being a massive inconvenience that they get someone else to look after in their later years.

I see this all the time and the chap in the picture looks like the perfect illustration of it. 

Even though I'm not to fussed with Brewdog, I stopped in by their place in Ellon recently to try the scran one evening.  Whilst I was expecting the same old hoppy beers and hipster staff, I was not expecting it to be like Messy Joe's (from the IT Crowd, minus the clown).  Kids screaming all over the shop, parents just chatting away to each other.  Nightmare fuel.

As the owner of a dog and employee of a nearly 3 year old child, I’ve found it amusing catching up on this thread but also interesting. 

Personal view is that I’ve always felt enforcing ‘inclusivity’ to every public situation to be a bit over the top. Clearly there’s a balance but different people like to experience things in different ways and if somewhere has the space and inclination to accommodate that then why not?

A bit like an ‘ultras’ section at football, a designated area for likely younger guys to go, sing, wave flags and within reason act a bit more cuntish than the rest of the ground. I don’t have a problem with that and I can watch the game elsewhere in a way that suits me. 

We have this already with ‘quiet coaches’ on trains, why not have family ones? Or dare I say it adult only ones? Doesn’t bother me in the slightest as long as you’re not telling me I can’t get on the train with my daughter at all. 

Even within my own life I have things I’d rather do without my daughter, with the dog, with or without both etc. really not a big deal. 

Albeit my local has a family section which doesn’t allow dogs and a bar area that allows dogs but not kids. So I can never actually go with both. That’s a little annoying. 

I worked in childcare and when we took the children on trips via the train, it was always funny to see the reaction of the carriage when we all piled on. You could see all the mobile phones coming out and seeing Messenger and WhatsApp chats appearing to voice their disdain. 

Explaining that the council provided free passes for such trips during the summer holiday period, thus saving anywhere up to £600 on a private coach, seemed a bit futile for them to understand. Especially as they could get a private taxi to wherever they are going, but the saving money part only applies to them. 

There are plenty of family-friendly chain pubs that lazy/ inconsiderate parents can abandon their kids in. 

If a pub wants to enforce an adult-only rule, these "people" can go elsewhere.

A huge family party naively wandered into the lounge of a Middlesbrough working man's club I was drinking in a few weeks ago, the natives were not happy. (And rightly so)

Edited by Steve_Wilkos

Why would anyone want to take their children to a pub? Why would anyone want to spend time in a pub with children? If the family is out for a meal, then Fairy Nuff (assuming the children are well behaved*) but if it's just drinking...I don't get it.

* This also applies to dogs, with the meal/drinking bit reversed.

48 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Why would anyone want to take their children to a pub? Why would anyone want to spend time in a pub with children? If the family is out for a meal, then Fairy Nuff (assuming the children are well behaved*) but if it's just drinking...I don't get it.

Probably the same reason there are folk in Colorado who take literal babies to the midnight showing of Murder Death Slaughter 4* - if given the option of taking their kids to an age-inappropriate event or staying at home and being a parent, some people will always choose to run away from responsibility.

* for those who don't know, this is a literal thing you can do in America, and every horror film I ever went to would have someone being forced to leave within the first ten minutes because their young child unsurprisingly wigged the f**k out. FREEDOM!

3 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Going for a long dog walk and then stopping for a pint at the end of it is a tremendous way to spend an afternoon. 

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Going for a long dog walk and then stopping for a pint at the end of it is a tremendous way to spend an afternoon. 

There's also the added benefit of dogs being babe magnets. 

"Awww, cute! What's his name?!"

[nice one Bertie boy, nice one]