Monday Night Football Thread - 2023/24

lichtie23

22 minutes ago, DannyBlue said:

Just watched the Giants. Utterly hopeless. The blocking was absolutely awful as were other things tackling etc but that stood out.

It’s probably the worst Iv seen us in 2-3 years. Completely inept in all facets of the game 

Doink…hummmmmmmmm, that’s gonna make it interesting. Why on earth not trusting the rushing game, IDK.

And now a review of an incorrect spot…that’s gonna be a first down into Raiders territory…let the second guessing begin.

Raiders win, Jimmy G stretches his record against the Packers to 4-1, which is hilarious. 

Got a feeling the Raiders defense will keep them in enough games that they will end up with 6 or 7 wins, not enough for the playoffs and too many for a good draft pick.

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

Doink…hummmmmmmmm, that’s gonna make it interesting. Why on earth not trusting the rushing game, IDK.

Because he’s Josh McDaniels and he’s an idiot.

I’m surprised we won, but the Packers were really bad. Love doesn’t look like the guy tbh - which is probably just as well because the Packers have been spoiled at QB for 30 years so they were due a letdown at the position.

After this win, and the fact we have a very generous schedule coming up for the next couple of months, I’m worried we’re playing ourselves out of the high draft picks and potentially *shudder* going to keep McDaniels for another year.

Guest DannyBlue

That Peters horse collar tackle basically saved a touchdown and the Packers were too inept to be able to score from 1st and goal and had to settle for 3 instead of 7. Kinda for me encapsulated how both of these teams are going nowhere slowly this season. Love looks like he is developing into one of those guys who can be a half-decent backup for a handful of games during a season but no more.

Really scruffy offensive performance from LAC considering they are coming off the Bye. Dallas D is playing angry, but there's something a bit off with Herbert. Broken finger is on the non-throwing hand, but he's over-thrown at least 3 or 4 passes he usually makes in his sleep. Missing Keenan Allen twice when there was nothing but daylight between KA and the EZ is really strange.

Chargers D looks a lot more cohesive without JC Jackson blowing his assignment constantly, but this was kinda a swing game for the Chargers. Win, and even a loss in KC next week leaves them in a retrievable position. They're likely looking at 2-4, I don't see 10-7 making the playoffs, and I can't see where they can pick up nine wins to make it from 2-4.

Still not seeing anything that makes me think Staley should survive the season. Constant underperformance relative to talent and investment, and continually getting into one-score games no matter the quality of the opponent. They can't play complete 60 minutes games without some aspect of the team imploding from one week to the next. Tonight it was garbage OL play and a total inability to run the ball despite being apparently 100% healthy in that department.

I have only watched the YouTube highlights of this game and they kind of skipped over it.

The muffed punt near the end. Dallas call for a fair catch, the charger pushes the Dallas player into the catcher, i get that being allowed but he pushed him in using his face mask. why is that not a penalty?

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Going by the highlights that looked a very below average performance from Herbert. Missing guys wide open. 

There were three or four throws that were off the mark, but in fairness to him he also made his usual couple of zingers. It's just odd to see him missing repeatedly in the same game. The GL play to Ekeler in the flat is a throw he normally just plants and unloads straight away, so it was weird that he delayed it to the point where it went from being a walk-in TD to Ek having to reach behind himself and try to beat a guy. There was a weird throw on the GL in the Raiders game a couple of weeks back. It was a TD to Parham that Herbert threw just about as hard as I'm ever seen him throw a pass, but the weird thing about it was Parham was wide-open right in front of Herbert about half a second before he started the wind-up, and he could have easily under-armed it to him. The hesitation meant that he had to throw a laser when it should have been a far easier throw. 

I'm not sure what is going on, because I genuinely don't think it has anything to do with the broken finger, so it's as if there's something about Moore's offense that is causing Herbert to hesitate and second guess certain throws, or he's off physically/mentally for some reason that isn't being disclosed. There was a play late in the 3rd where he was arguing with Ekeler about the alignment pre-snap. Just weird all around.

A few people are giving it the usual "Herbert choking in a 2 min situation again" stuff, and while it's true that they've had three opportunities so far this season to engineer a game winning drive and failed every single time, on every occasion the OL has melted and let him get thumped at the top of his drop. The INT looked really bad, but he was about to get clobbered, threw it with pressure in his face, and if you see the film from behind the EZ it's clear he still got enough on it that QJ should have made it a catch. Instead, QJ let Gilmore shove him out of the way when QJ closer to Herbert and was working back toward him at the point the throw was made. Just a terrible effort from a player who is looking every bit the idiotic, blown pick I expected.

10 minutes ago, steelmen said:

I have only watched the YouTube highlights of this game and they kind of skipped over it.

The muffed punt near the end. Dallas call for a fair catch, the charger pushes the Dallas player into the catcher, i get that being allowed but he pushed him in using his face mask. why is that not a penalty?

Zebs probably just didn't see anything. If you watch it in real time it just looks like a typical block with the hands placed on the sternum area. It's not on a ball-carrier, and it's an ST return so there's no pair of officials close to the ball like there is on most plays from scrimmage, and there's no SJ looking right down the l.o.s. either. Sort of thing that's easily missed, and it frequently isn't called on non-ball carriers anyway. OL get hit in the facemask all the time and nothing is done, because you are not attempting to impede or tackle a ball carrier by doing it, so the Umps generally ignore it.

Oh, and to be honest, Derwin James being an absolute fucking idiot blew that game far more than anything Herbert did or didn't do. Getting utterly sick of the DJIII personal fouls extending drives in crunch situations, especially when his general level of play has been garbage since the start of last season. Still not many people willing to put their neck on the line an point out that he's been blowing back-end assignments constantly when he's used as a deep S, including giving up two TD's all by himself in that ridiculous playoff farce in Jacksonville. 

It's ironic that he's still hailed as an example and a leader that the other players should be looking to by both Staley and the media, because aside from the complete disasters like JC Jackson and Kenneth Murray, James has been just about the next worst performer over the piece. No coincidence that the D usually plays better when Staley simplifies it if James is out.

Edited by Boo Khaki