Dundee United v Greenock Morten Saturday 16 September 2023 at 3.00 pm

6 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Aye, that's a fair summary apart from the "in your face" bit. They aren't in your face, they're behind you kicking you after the ball's away or rolling around on the ground pretending to have been hit. I don't blame Morton, tbf. c***s are c***s. That's just their nature. Ref should be smarter though. That's the disappointing bit. 

Kicking after the balls away?

6 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Kicking after the balls away?

A couple of times in the 1st half where your No.6 (Waters) has come up and kicked Cudjoe long after the ball is away.  Not a mistimed challenge, just took a swipe at him 1-2s later.

It looked almost like a planned tactic.  ‘See what you can get away with, see if you can wind them up’.  From this point of view, as a United fan, it felt like we had weak officials today who did nothing to snuff it out early.

48 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

Cry as many salty tears as you like, make as many disparaging comments as you like.

The ref robbed you, Morton are thugs and hammer throwers, we're too physical, we're cheats, we're too in your face, Dougie's running a wrestling match instead of a fitba team, blah blah blah.

It's water off a duck's back to us. We're used to it.

I assume you’re “used to it” because other fans call you out on it because it’s true.

”We’re used to being called cheating c***s because we’re cheating c***s” is maybe not the high moral ground you think it is.

That said it’s the officials who should take the criticism for letting you away with it.

For what it’s worth, I thought Morton had a decent amount of football in them today.  Far from the worst we’ve come up against so far this season.  Even at 11v11 we were definitely in a game.

What frustrated me from a United perspective is that there also seems to be a nasty side to Morton - antagonistic late kicks, and A LOT of contact on our centre forward and during set pieces.  When we don’t get decisions from officials, we struggle to find a way to give back in the same way.  It’s this lack of ability to adjust and match other teams that frustrates, and we just end up feeling persecuted about bad officiating.

I know Utd fans are frustrated about not doing enough 2nd half, but once it goes to 10 v 11, then a lot of normal planning goes out the window, and holding on for a draw probably becomes the more realistic prospect.

57 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Aye, that's a fair summary apart from the "in your face" bit. They aren't in your face, they're behind you kicking you after the ball's away or rolling around on the ground pretending to have been hit. I don't blame Morton, tbf. c***s are c***s. That's just their nature. Ref should be smarter though. That's the disappointing bit. 

Birthday caird pish. Girfry 

1 hour ago, foxinperu said:

A couple of times in the 1st half where your No.6 (Waters) has come up and kicked Cudjoe long after the ball is away.  Not a mistimed challenge, just took a swipe at him 1-2s later.

It looked almost like a planned tactic.  ‘See what you can get away with, see if you can wind them up’.  From this point of view, as a United fan, it felt like we had weak officials today who did nothing to snuff it out early.

I imagine it probably was their tactic. We have a budget significantly bigger than Morton's, and although I'm not suggesting Morton are a bunch of cloggers, they have to find a way to make it more of an even keel.

No issues with that from me. But a stronger ref would have stepped in and shown a yellow or two.

As I've said elsewhere, he lost control at one stage - who was he might I ask (when Utd sold match programmes I would know who the ref was every game)

59 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I assume you’re “used to it” because other fans call you out on it because it’s true.

”We’re used to being called cheating c***s because we’re cheating c***s” is maybe not the high moral ground you think it is.

That said it’s the officials who should take the criticism for letting you away with it.

Aye? It's only September FFS. Still way too early for snowflakes, even in the far-North Dundee. You were held to a draw at home. Take it on the chin, and move on. Best wishes from Greenock.

On 09/09/2023 at 21:35, virginton said:

No, you should definitely not expect that at all. We may have been involved in some open games so far, but a lot of that was based on circumstances like chasing the game when behind. At Tannadice the gameplan will absolutely be hard-working defensive shitfesting. 

No idea why - fully one week later - this has come as a shock to Dundee United fans then.

An unexpected and much needed point to stop the rot, and we will in all probability strengthen week by week from this point in the season, just as we did 12 months ago after a ropey start. 

1 hour ago, foxinperu said:

For what it’s worth, I thought Morton had a decent amount of football in them today.  Far from the worst we’ve come up against so far this season.  Even at 11v11 we were definitely in a game.

What frustrated me from a United perspective is that there also seems to be a nasty side to Morton - antagonistic late kicks, and A LOT of contact on our centre forward and during set pieces.  When we don’t get decisions from officials, we struggle to find a way to give back in the same way.  It’s this lack of ability to adjust and match other teams that frustrates, and we just end up feeling persecuted about bad officiating.

I know Utd fans are frustrated about not doing enough 2nd half, but once it goes to 10 v 11, then a lot of normal planning goes out the window, and holding on for a draw probably becomes the more realistic prospect.

All of the above comes across as fair comment from a knowledgable supporter of the game, so fair play to you. But we're not 'nasty' - we just play to the strengths instilled into us by a manager who's working with a tiny budget, but who has somehow managed to motivate all of his previously-underperforming players to give of their very, very best. The physicality we demonstrate isn't clodhopping, hammer-throwing thuggery - it's a strength which we've discovered as a means of intimidating our opponents and achieving an advantage - and that's how games are won or lost. Yep - it's often not pretty, but the officials are there to officiate and it's 100% their call when a player oversteps the mark. FWIW - it wasn't a Morton player red-carded today - it was a dayglo. Welcome to the Championship. We're brutes. Not ballerinas.

Best wishes from Greenock.

39 minutes ago, Steven W said:

he lost control at one stage - who was he might I ask

He could be any number of slovens that inhabit the SFA diary, but we've had him already this season at Grangemouth v Falkirk. 

The officials probably aren't the reason United will have hard days this season. It's more down to Goodwin persisting with a particular system to accommodate higher earners.

20 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

He could be any number of slovens that inhabit the SFA diary, but we've had him already this season at Grangemouth v Falkirk. 

The officials probably aren't the reason United will have hard days this season. It's more down to Goodwin persisting with a particular system to accommodate higher earners.

Watt and Middleton certainly not earning their keep. 

Yep, hate Imrie. Hate Morten. Liked their style last season under Imrie. Exactly like he was as a player - in your face, arrogant with no reason to be, dirty b*****ds but also a bit of flair on show at times.

Fucking murder to play against last season.

11 minutes ago, Liam899 said:

Morton are very very physical, I actually enjoyed watching them last season. They also play as well. Imrie certainly gets his players giving everything. Glad French played, he’ll get better after being out for so long. 

I really don't understand what other fans actually mean by 'physical'. The Morton midfield is populated by hard-running midgets: if you're being roughed up by Cameron Blues in a physical contest then you're as well chucking professional football. Indeed Morton's midfield quite often gets physically bullied by the parade of 6 foot plus hammer-throwing ringers that the rest of the league can draft into their team without any such comment. Meanwhile Robbie Muirhead up front has been tried and consistently failed as a physical, Jan Koller-style target man. 

What is true about Imrie's team is that they press and get in the opposition's face as much as possible. Hard running, the fitness to do that and then the opportunity to compete for challenges is not actually 'physical' play by the meaning of the term chucked at this team on a weekly basis.

Edited by vikingTON