Harvey Barnes

1 minute ago, Broken Algorithms said:

The Times are reporting that he's considering making the switch to make himself available for Scotland for Euro 2024. He's not featured for England since 2020 when he featured in a game against Wales. 

We don’t play with wingers but I’d take him in a heartbeat.  

A real top player, Barnes.

Even though they went down, Leicester had a really good attack, better than any of the other teams around them last season, just couldn't defend for their lives. Maddison and Barnes were essential to that.

Being part of a side like Newcastle is quite a sign of quality and if elects to join us, that's an excellent "signing" for us.

The "is Newcastle Scottish?" thread suddenly seems very different

I think he would be the first player ever since WWII to play for Scotland after having been capped at senior level by another country. A few have done it the other way, most recently Cummings.

Joe Kennaway (Canada) and Barney Battles (USA) both got a single cap in the 1930s.

Edited by craigkillie

My instinct, mental as it seems, is to tell him to get tae, mainly as someone would have to miss out to make room for him. The difference with Adams (the other granny rule player) is we didn't have a decent striker he was replacing. Who would we bring him in for? McGinn, Christie or any other player who has worked hard to help get Scotland in the position they're in right now? 

It's a not yet from me (which is wild, I know).

22 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Had completely missed that Barnes had joined Newcastle. Fee paid for him is mind boggling. Still would be a grat signing for Scotland.

Thirteen goals in a relegated side, so I would say his fee was pretty reasonable in the grand scheme of things down there!

If we played with wingers I’d imagine he’d possibly start but I don’t see a position for him in our current system. Unless he’s fancying playing wing back or as one of the two advanced midfielders. 

Every possibility we move to a system with wingers with the emergence of Ben Doak but that could be a while off given Doak is still 17(?) and there’s no guarantee he’ll continue to get better. 

25 minutes ago, velo army said:

My instinct, mental as it seems, is to tell him to get tae, mainly as someone would have to miss out to make room for him. The difference with Adams (the other granny rule player) is we didn't have a decent striker he was replacing. Who would we bring him in for? McGinn, Christie or any other player who has worked hard to help get Scotland in the position they're in right now? 

He may be a winger but Barnes, I think, would be able to play the same role as Christie quite comfortably, most likely at a higher quality.

He could offer an emergency attacking option if needed, too.

Says a lot that we can have players of Barnes' caliber being linked with Scotland and dismiss him for not fitting the system. We are huge.

48 minutes ago, velo army said:

I think this is definitely a, concern, and Clarke will definitely be factoring this into his approach. Not so bothered about one fringe player missing out necessarily but the possible impact on the wider group. That said he could clearly be an impact player right away for us in the Euros so I feel like there has to be a way to make it work. Would do no harm with convincing Anderson too I suspect. 

14 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

He may be a winger but Barnes, I think, would be able to play the same role as Christie quite comfortably, most likely at a higher quality.

He could offer an emergency attacking option if needed, too.

Says a lot that we can have players of Barnes' caliber being linked with Scotland and dismiss him for not fitting the system. We are huge.

That's my issue. I'd rather have Christie, a scottish player for whom playing for Scotland is a career highlight and who has been pivotal in getting Scotland to where we are right now, than Barnes, an English player with a tenuous connection to Scotland who is only wanting to play for us to get to play at a tournament. He hasn't done any of the hard work to get us there, so it would leave a sour taste in my mouth if we did bring him in and Christie, for example, was pushed out the team.