Reverse happy hours

ICTChris

33 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

I never understood the point to the rule, fair enough if they did a 24hr rule to stop happy hours etc and people binging booze in a short period of time in public places

But 72hrs was a shambles back then and still is

It will have been aimed, primarily, at curbing the likes of 99p Tuesday in Student Union bars.

Again, though, like MUP i'm not convinced it made any difference to alcohol consumption.

52 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It will have been aimed, primarily, at curbing the likes of 99p Tuesday in Student Union bars.

Again, though, like MUP i'm not convinced it made any difference to alcohol consumption.

It didn't really do that at Strathclyde. They had it as 99p, the £1 on the Tuesday, then just shut that bar on Wednesday and Thursday, and opened one of the other ones.

8 hours ago, ICTChris said:

A large pub chain has said it will begin charging more for drinks during peak periods.  Stonegate Group, which owns Slug and Lettuce and Yate's pubs, has made the move due to cost increases.  During busy periods pints will cost 20p more than quieter times.  The changes will be reflected by notices in the pubs.  Previously the group increased prices by 50p during England matches at the World Cup.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66785823

What do booze soaked P&Bers think of these proposals?

Would P&Bers be happy to pay extra for a pint when it's heaving?

Will P&Bers now start (continue in some cases) drinking at 6am to save 20p on their pint of Fosters?

Simple solution folks,don't go to their shitey pubs

6 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

I never understood the point to the rule, fair enough if they did a 24hr rule to stop happy hours etc and people binging booze in a short period of time in public places

But 72hrs was a shambles back then and still is

places like student unions etc used to have their infamous any drink for £1 day ( when pints were around 2.50) which you could make an awful c**t of yourself at without much difficulty

5 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

places like student unions etc used to have their infamous any drink for £1 day ( when pints were around 2.50) which you could make an awful c**t of yourself at without much difficulty

At least it was a full day though, so the binge drinking wasnt confined to everyone doing it the same time causing riots when it finished

Its the same theory as longer licencing hours, the more hours the less of a wave of people that hit the streets all pished and all at the same time

The 72hr rule was a terribly thought out one than stank of "lets be different" especially as some rules were scotland wide but othet rules were licencing council rules (where you could display booze was a belter, every council had different rules for shops lol) 

13 hours ago, throbber said:

Slug and lettuce, Filling station, TGI Fridays and Frank and Bennys can all f**k off.

"Right Class.  Today we will discuss the Oxford comma, whether it should be used or not and what are the benefits.  Here we have an example I found on P&B just yesterday ..."

7 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Since when was it the government's business to price out the behaviour of adults on the grounds of moral disapproval alone? 

When I was a student one of the bars just outside the campus refurbished their back bar and to celebrate they covered the bar in shots of vodka.  When it opened they let the first people in drink as many of them as they want, free of charge.

The Inbetweeners | GIFGlobe

of course, I am very old so this was pre-Happy Hour ban.

51 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

When I was a student one of the bars just outside the campus refurbished their back bar and to celebrate they covered the bar in shots of vodka.  When it opened they let the first people in drink as many of them as they want, free of charge.

The Inbetweeners | GIFGlobe

of course, I am very old so this was pre-Happy Hour ban.

It's these type of laws I don't understand. The best pizza shop in Dumbarton doesn't have a drink licence but they do a "NY Slice Day" every now and then whereby they sell big slices of pizza which comes with a  free beer. The shop is absolutely stowed out every time. Seems mad to have such strict drink licensing but also let companies give it away for free.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's these type of laws I don't understand. The best pizza shop in Dumbarton doesn't have a drink licence but they do a "NY Slice Day" every now and then whereby they sell big slices of pizza which comes with a  free beer. The shop is absolutely stowed out every time. Seems mad to have such strict drink licensing but also let companies give it away for free.

There’s a few barbers around me that give you a beer while you are waiting for your haircut.

One of my first experiences of drinking in London about 1989/90. Was working in Lancashire where was about 99p a pint. Out on a work trip. and went to a bar and was charged £2.30 for my pint, nearly choked on that mark up was advised it only Saturday afternoon, if we were back later that evening it would be £2.80 a pint.

Didn't go back.

When I were a lad at Paisley College, Pat's Bar (or I think previously known as The Cellar Bar) round the back of the campus did a lunchtime deal of £1.35 for a pint of Tennents and a pie beans n chips when (I think) a pint alone was ~95p. I think my gluttony determination to get value for money and have 2 x pints plus pie beans and chips most lunchtimes may have been the genesis for the current state of my physique.

The place was heaving most days. Putting the prices up would have solved many an issue. FML.