Russell Brand - In Plain Sight

ICTChris

1 hour ago, Moomintroll said:

There is zero point engaging with him in good faith, he is an embittered, misogynistic arsewipe who will call you champ then post a picture of Ainsley Harriot & claim he was right all along.

There's certainly zero point in you engaging, as it only ends in yet another tear-stained resignation from an online forum. 

I thought the C4 documentary was a bit lopsided.  

The major revelations were at the start - the pretty solid sounding rape allegations from America, and the situation regarding the 16 year old girl in London.  There were other serious allegations of sexual assault later too.

I thought though, that too much time was spent on his already well documented promiscuity.  I get why it's part of the story, because it says unedifying things about him, some of those round him, and the wider industry.  However, I think there's a danger of conflating promiscuity with sexual offending.  This allows him to construct a defence of sorts, and deflects from the gruesome stuff.

1 hour ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

So depressing. I wonder who these people could be?

Anyway, on a completely unrelated note:

Screenshot_20230917-201731.thumb.png.3fc8a7269f6ed9d98044dc55a008311f.png

O'Doherty taking massive amounts of shit in the replies for not naming names, so therefore he's as bad as the abusers, apparently.

I guess the lesson is, keep your mouth shut if you want to keep your career/avoid legal action?

10 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

So depressing. I wonder who these people could be?

Anyway, on a completely unrelated note:

Screenshot_20230917-201731.thumb.png.3fc8a7269f6ed9d98044dc55a008311f.png

Looks like a theme developing and it appears that it's "comedians" that i've never got that are to blame. Worrying times for Russel Kane, Rufus Hound and Victoria Wood. 

I think the promiscuity and his act are linked to what he’s accused of. Behaving in highly sexualised ways in inappropriate places is a way for abusers to groom those around them, as well as their victims. “Oh that’s just Russell” etc. Stuff like having sex with junior staff members, exposing himself to employees, getting runners to get the phone numbers of audience members, is all part of this process. It’s something you see in abuse cases all the time, the abuser tipping boundaries and normalising behaviour.

A friend of mine worked with a man who was struck off from employment due to sexual misconduct. The police investigated but he wasn’t charged. My friend said that the behaviour shown by Brand in the documentary reminded them of their ex colleague - he would make sexual jokes in situations that made his colleagues feel a bit off, his mannerisms around women could be a bit effeminate in a way that could be disarming. 

10 hours ago, BTFD said:

O'Doherty taking massive amounts of shit in the replies for not naming names, so therefore he's as bad as the abusers, apparently.

I guess the lesson is, keep your mouth shut if you want to keep your career/avoid legal action?

If keeping your career/avoiding legal action is the priority, then you shouldn't be making oblique references to 'known in the industry' cases in the first place. Unless you think that encouraging thousands of losers on social media to play find the nonce is a sensible approach.

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Looks like a theme developing and it appears that it's "comedians" that I've never got that are to blame. Worrying times for Russel Kane, Rufus Hound and Victoria Wood. 

Russel Brand and Rufus Hound are both vegan, as are Ricky Gervais and Sara Pascoe and Romesh Ranganathan

I've checked and Kane is apparently in the clear

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

15 hours ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

I would also point out to several posters who have referenced Jimmy Savile that my spelling of his surname is correct. If you need a simple mnemonic just remember that the correct spelling incorporates the word "vile". 

Agreed here. The c**t deserves no respect but it's a PTTGOMN when people spell his name with the double-l. As Thane points out you don't even need to rearrange the order of the letters: Jimmy's a Vile Man.

Oddly enough I also get (pettily) annoyed when people, usually Americans, spell Hitler's first name with a -ph.

Brand's da sounds the vandetta klaxon:

"The comedian’s father intervention comes as MPs said on Monday a criminal investigation should take place over allegations first reported by The Times, The Sunday Times and Channel 4 on Saturday.

According to The Times, more women have now made contact over Brand’s behaviour since the claims emerged.

On the 80-year-old’s Facebook page, Mr Brand wrote: “Is this seriously the most important thing happening in the World? Immigrants? Cost of Living? 10s of thousands killed in Ukraine? Who is Prioritising at BBC News? Who is really driving this vandetta?

In a separate post he added: “With many Struggling to pay bills. The unproven accusations of 15 Years ago take lead on BBC News?” The Telegraph has approached Mr Brand for further comment."

It would be a massive oversimplification of the auld dick's argument to frame it as "food is expensive, so rape is okay", but I'm going to do it anyway.