Inverness' Next Permanent Manager - 2023 Edition - Dodds is Punted YASSS

Who will be Inverness' Next Permanent Manager?  

290 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We're losing money hand over fist yet SG expects us to believe that compensation won't be a barrier to getting the right manager in? Forgive me if I don't believe a word that gobshite says.

Edited by RiG

2 hours ago, virginton said:

They undoubtedly would but why would Imrie want to do the exact same turnaround job, from the exact same point in the pyramid he started at 21 months ago? The limitations of budget are also fundamentally the same now, as all those chickens come home to roost. 

You also have a pretty shite squad, possibly second worst in the division above Airdrie, with delusions of a promotion challenge and top flight football still bouncing around three ends of a ground. It's a poisoned chalice of a gig for any manager IMHO. 

Yeah, this is it.

As a fan it's always going to rankle to see a manager go to another club in the same division, but in purely footballing terms it'd be pretty difficult to argue against Imrie seeing at least half the clubs in this league as a more attractive job. Morton are living within their means and the majority of clubs in the division aren't, so he'd get a bigger (considerably in most cases) budget out of every club other than Airdrie and it would therefore be understandable for him to think he'd have a higher chance of success with other clubs in this division. If he can deliver 57 points with us, what can he do with sides with treble the budget?

If for example Murray had gone to Hibs then Imrie had taken the Raith job, the immediate reaction as a Morton fan would have been to decry this as a sideways move based on recent league positions, similar stature of clubs etc, but in purely financial terms removing your emotions you can see why Imrie would make that move. Their backers have just arrived, are investing off the park as well as on and there's no reason to believe they won't be around for years to come. There's a credible argument that he should already be looking at a better move than that, but you can still see why he would see that sideways move as a better platform for success in his career.

If he goes to Inverness then sure, as with another six full-time clubs in the division he gets a bigger budget to work with in January and probably next summer as well, but none of those other aspects in backing from private investment, size of support or both which can be applied to Raith, Queen's Park, Ayr, Dunfermline, Partick & Dundee United apply to that job and there are a lot of credible indications that club could go to shit in the very near future. They are circling the drain in a way no one else in this league is.

This doesn't necessarily mean he won't simply make a kneejerk decision of bigger budget = better job, but it would make him extremely stupid to do it.

Edited by Dunning1874

On 20/09/2023 at 08:12, TheScarf said:

We got there on a technicality after being knocked out in the 5th round by a far superior team. 

The boy playing made zero difference to the outcome of the result. 

If that's how you see it, can't argue with your opinion the player made no difference. But my point remains, caley got to a final. That's still a helluva achievement for a small club.

On 20/09/2023 at 09:05, SandyCromarty said:

You answered the problem with him right there in that results were rotten.

One Swallow doth not a summer make.

We were out of the cup as Scarf mentioned yet thanks to QP's feck up we got back in, we scraped Killie and next game was Livingston which we dominated and then Falkirk in the semi.

So to get to the final we played three games.

So from your perspective getting to one cup final overshadows two seasons of Doddsball shite, if you had to sit through what we had to endure you would understand.

Over the two forums we have had just two ICT 'fans' who defended him, all the rest were scathing of his tactics and wanted rid.

I didn't say anything about over shadows, and I'm not arguing that the club were wrong to punt him, far from it. I'm just of the opinion that to say there was such an underachievement is to ignore the two successful stories. The team and manager and coaches did well to overcome Arbroath and get to a play off final which proved a step too far. We know all about that. And got to a cup final. That's a hell of an achievement in any ones book.

To clarify, I'm not disagreeing he needed to be punted, just suggesting his/their tenure isn't as bad as some of you are making out, in terms of achievement, not week to week performance.

You do realise you'll likely pump the Arabs on Saturday then go on a ten game winless run?

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah, this is it.

As a fan it's always going to rankle to see a manager go to another club in the same division, but in purely footballing terms it'd be pretty difficult to argue against Imrie seeing at least half the clubs in this league as a more attractive job. Morton are living within their means and the majority of clubs in the division aren't, so he'd get a bigger (considerably in most cases) budget out of every club other than Airdrie and it would therefore be understandable for him to think he'd have a higher chance of success with other clubs in this division. If he can deliver 57 points with us, what can he do with sides with treble the budget?

If for example Murray had gone to Hibs then Imrie had taken the Raith job, the immediate reaction as a Morton fan would have been to decry this as a sideways move based on recent league positions, similar stature of clubs etc, but in purely financial terms removing your emotions you can see why Imrie would make that move. Their backers have just arrived, are investing off the park as well as on and there's no reason to believe they won't be around for years to come. There's a credible argument that he should already be looking at a better move than that, but you can still see why he would see that sideways move as a better platform for success in his career.

If he goes to Inverness then sure, as with another six full-time clubs in the division he gets a bigger budget to work with in January and probably next summer as well, but none of those other aspects in backing from private investment, size of support or both which can be applied to Raith, Queen's Park, Ayr, Dunfermline, Partick & Dundee United apply to that job and there are a lot of credible indications that club could go to shit in the very near future. They are circling the drain in a way no one else in this league is.

This doesn't necessarily mean he won't simply make a kneejerk decision of bigger budget = better job, but it would make him extremely stupid to do it.

Another, probably more important factor, as in any job is their pay package. Which as you mention with overall budgets, is likely to be more at most championship clubs.

1 hour ago, banditjag said:

If that's how you see it, can't argue with your opinion the player made no difference. But my point remains, caley got to a final. That's still a helluva achievement for a small club.

I think the replies to your initial post completely overlooked what you actually wrote.
You did not say that we should have kept Dodds, unless I misread it your post, what you said was that there were some high points in amongst what someone had referred to as "abject failure".  And you'd be very, very correct with that statement.  We might have got to the Cup Final on a technicality in an early round, however we played in the Scottish Cup Final!  AGAIN!!

There were 124 other teams who would have given almost everything to be in our shoes on that scorching day in June.
There is no way that the feeling in the run up to that final came close to the feeling in 2015, back then the feel good factor surrounding our club was fantastic.  The buzz this time was definitely not the same, however having grown up in Inverness and being in my 40's now, it was Highland League in Inverness when I was a kid - to see Inverness in the biggest game in Scottish football for a second time was just f**kin fantastic!

The main thing I took away from your post was "I wish I could see my club in The Cup Final!"
Of course Dodds had to go and his tenure was largely a steaming turd, but every now and then someone put some glitter on the turd!

(It's still a turd tho!)

19 minutes ago, Juanhourjoe said:

Another, probably more important factor, as in any job is their pay package. Which as you mention with overall budgets, is likely to be more at most championship clubs.

It's really not comparable to other jobs, as there's a significantly higher chance of getting an enormous increase in wages by making the correct choice of club for your career. An extra £100 a month now isn't going to cut it if you blow a chance to make your name and go south of the border, ending up as a standard, SPFL merry-go-round jobber like Jim McIntyre. 

Well unless you're a moron who makes terrible career choices of course.

Darren O'Dea's currently the 6/5 favourite at McBookie, runner up is 5/1. Either they've heard something or there's new money backing him, not sure why when the Celtic B team has gone from near the top of the Lowland League last season to 12th this season.

I've no idea what to think of the O'Dea prospect, it's very much come out of nowhere.  I thought it was bollocks when I first read it on here but it does seem that there is substance to it.

We've sort of done similar things in the past with unexpected appointments from outside the club as manager, such as when we appointed Robbo the first time, he was a coach at Livvy back then.  Similar when we gave Brewster his first role in management.  His first spell with us was very successful which resulted in his move to Dundee Utd.
I wouldn't include the appointment of Foran as he was appointed from within.

There's no guarantee with any appointment of course, but historically giving coaches or older players, who were not expected, the managers job has mostly worked out well for us.

At least it's not one of the same old faces I suppose.
And it's not Gary Locke!

O’Dea was linked with us 2 seasons ago but it was said that Celtic wanted a significant amount of compensation for him. Could have been bollocks of course, but if it’s true I’d be surprised if he went to Inverness.

McCall also seems highly unlikely, unless Inverness are keen to start training in Glasgow.

1 hour ago, banditjag said:

I didn't say anything about over shadows, and I'm not arguing that the club were wrong to punt him, far from it. I'm just of the opinion that to say there was such an underachievement is to ignore the two successful stories. The team and manager and coaches did well to overcome Arbroath and get to a play off final which proved a step too far. We know all about that. And got to a cup final. That's a hell of an achievement in any ones book.

To clarify, I'm not disagreeing he needed to be punted, just suggesting his/their tenure isn't as bad as some of you are making out, in terms of achievement, not week to week performance.

You do realise you'll likely pump the Arabs on Saturday then go on a ten game winless run?

Dodds is gone, the majority of fans wanted rid, they were there week in week out and saw the shambles you didn't.

Continual fall outs with players highlighted his lack of man management and game technical failures.

At the start of the season ST sales and home gate receipts were down in protest.

We are now at the start of a new Chapter.

12 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

O’Dea was linked with us 2 seasons ago but it was said that Celtic wanted a significant amount of compensation for him. Could have been bollocks of course, but if it’s true I’d be surprised if he went to Inverness.

I’m sure Celtic have previous for demanding exorbitant amounts in training compensation for young players, effectively blocking them from being able to sign for anyone else, despite them clearly having no future at Celtic.

If I’m remembering correctly, I’d be amazed if they didn’t hold out for every penny they can get.