Partick Thistle v Arbroath

On 19/09/2023 at 11:03, velo army said:

In a world where managers get the sack after a bad couple of months it's great to see Arbroath sticking with Campbell despite having a comparatively poor season last time out. It's obviously reaping rewards.

Changed my mind on this. Dreadful move.

Too many players absolutely miles off it from the get go. Graham’s two sitters right at the end summed up his and our game. Arbroath throughly deserved their victory, felt it was reminiscent of most of our games v them prior to last season.

23 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Feel very vindicated in having my optimism over the squad before a ball was kicked, obviously the first 3 games never went our way but from QP at home onward we’ve been good. 

Just everything you’d want from a team you support, very very impressed that Jess Norey came in at right back today and done a job. Fair play to the guy, moved up from London and not kicked a ball until today and I think everyone expected Darren Lyon to come in but for him to come in and have a solid game speaks volumes, fair play young man I know you’re 22 today so hope you enjoy Devitos the night. 

Superb stuff 

Birthday boy too hopefully finds a young lady to give him his birthday present after his dance in devitos. 

McKenna was everywhere for Arbroath today. The amount of space he created by dragging our players out of position was phenomenal.

Fitzpatrick is so frustrating, he can almost always beat his man but most of the time he chooses not to bother his arse. 

I did fear that we were in for a bit of a hiding today with our piss weak midfield, especially if Arbroath's recent form was anything resembling their 2021/22 season.

They were fantastic today and that standard of performance will terrorise any team in the division whose midfield needs 3-4 touches between receiving the ball and moving it on (which is everyone). I see no reason why they can't challenge for the title if they can hit that kind of benchmark consistently.

McMillan wouldn't have made too much difference to the outcome today, and to be fair to McKenzie he is standing in for the best right back in the league. But he is a massive downgrade and we can't play him there again - he can't defend, doesn't look comfortable going forward, and seems to want rid of the ball as soon as possible. I'm not convinced he's anywhere near ready for first team football at this level.

Edited by AMMjag

15 hours ago, AMMjag said:

I did fear that we were in for a bit of a hiding today with our piss weak midfield, especially if Arbroath's recent form was anything resembling their 2021/22 season.

They were fantastic today and that standard of performance will terrorise any team in the division whose midfield needs 3-4 touches between receiving the ball and moving it on (which is everyone). I see no reason why they can't challenge for the title if they can hit that kind of benchmark consistently.

McMillan wouldn't have made too much difference to the outcome today, and to be fair to McKenzie he is standing in for the best right back in the league. But he is a massive downgrade and we can't play him there again - he can't defend, doesn't look comfortable going forward, and seems to want rid of the ball as soon as possible. I'm not convinced he's anywhere near ready for first team football at this level.

Aye, think Williams is a better shout at right back if McMillan is out.

mmmmmmmmmmm first goal looks to me like Sneddon could have gone and either punched or caught it, scored from inside the 6 yard box. second does take a big deflection but it's what can happen if you dont get close enough to the 2nd ball after a clearing header. Bit of a soft free kick leading up to it but Zander doesn't have to put both hands on the forward, definitely bought the foul though.

Fairly similar in nature to the goals we conceded against QotS.

All Arbroath all the way through from the highlights, was away by the time of the 3rd goal, defending looked a bit half hearted and one of those "we've been shite all day and know the game is already done" goals - not meaning to take away from Arbroath I hasten to add, thoroughly deserved to win by at least three for the way they played, put the effort in tirelessly.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

3 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Aye, think Williams is a better shout at right back if McMillan is out.

In fairness we didn’t have the option of putting Williams at RB yesterday (although I think it’d still have been MacKenzie starting in any case).