vikingTON

20 minutes ago, 101 said:

Why have the prices gone up across the board then, surely the insurance rises should be on the electric vehicle owners.

Probably because everything else is going up. The trend for companies, regardless of genre, to be determined to charge consumers as much as they possibly can is going to be the ruination of all of us. Or at least those of us they deem worthy of being ruined.

Edited by jimbaxters

58 minutes ago, 101 said:

Why have the prices gone up across the board then, surely the insurance rises should be on the electric vehicle owners.

I recall having a lengthy chat with a very pleasant rep when I was renewing my insurance earlier this year and he explained that these hikes need to be spread across the business.

Talk of the devil, just received a renewal quote email for the missus' 1.2 lite Corsa. Last year £150, this time £450! 😱

1 hour ago, 101 said:

It kind of feels like a living example of that shitey team building exercise where both lines of people have to touch the underneath of a cane but try and lower it.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

9 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

I recall having a lengthy chat with a very pleasant rep when I was renewing my insurance earlier this year and he explained that these hikes need to be spread across the business.

Talk of the devil, just received a renewal quote email for the missus' 1.2 lite Corsa. Last year £150, this time £450! 😱

If this continues much longer it will price folk out of cars.

For the short term more and more folk will pay monthly rather than up front giving the insurance companies even more cash.

2 hours ago, 101 said:

The policy cost also reflects the cost of paying for the other party's repairs if you are at fault for the accident. If these are rising, everyone gets hit. 

Whether electric cars have gone up by more than non-electric cars, I have no idea. 

Of course, there is also opportunism. I remember having someone claim (with presumably a straight face) that the £150 increase in my policy was due to an increase in Insurance Premium Tax. The actual increase in the IPT added about £20 to the policy, so the rest was just bullshit. I changed insurer. 

Edited by Michael W

3 hours ago, 101 said:

But the non-electric car owners need insurance coverage in case they’re responsible for damaging any vehicle…and since newer vehicle are more expensive to repair. Additionally as new vehicle costs continue to rise and used car prices are at near record highs, and Bob’s your uncle.

4 hours ago, mathematics said:

Having just spunked £350 on car insurance I’m now wishing I didn’t have a car.

Just wondering what level of coverage that amount gets you? Asking because here in the Land of the Free, a reasonably high limit policy on a modest newer vehicle can easily run $1500-2000+ per year at the cheap end (that’s Collision, Comprehensive, some limited Medical, Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist and Liability Limits of $100k per person, $300k per incident, and $100k for property…and at current prices that’s no longer clearly enough, but minimum here is $30k/$60k/$25k).

2 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Just wondering what level of coverage that amount gets you? Asking because here in the Land of the Free, a reasonably high limit policy on a modest newer vehicle can easily run $1500-2000+ per year at the cheap end (that’s Collision, Comprehensive, some limited Medical, Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist and Liability Limits of $100k per person, $300k per incident, and $100k for property…and at current prices that’s no longer clearly enough, but minimum here is $30k/$60k/$25k).

Comprehensive 

IMG_9436.jpeg

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

Christ, the cost of coverage that comprehensive here would be insane. Thanks.

Presumably a big part of that is that if you smash head on into someone here your insurer isn't going to have to fork out for anyone's million dollar/pound medical bills as they would in the States.

10 hours ago, Ross. said:

Almost exclusively used public transport until around 3 and a half years ago, had to move to using the car thanks to Covid impacting on the service levels, as well as the birth of my son. Not long took a lease on a new(er) car but as soon as the lease is up I will buy myself a cheap runaround for emergencies and go back to using public transport as much as possible. Easy to do here, despite me living in a somewhat rural location. The difference in standard between what we have and what the UK has is ridiculous.

When I was in Switzerland, I thought the train service was excellent value for money. 

9 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

When I was in Switzerland, I thought the train service was excellent value for money. 

Travel pass for the year covers pretty much every train, bus and tram in the country, as well as many of the ferries on the lakes and some of the cable cars and trains up the mountains. Costs about the equivalent of 300 quid a month. Last time I lived in Glasgow, a zone card covering only Glasgow and the surrounds wasn’t far off the same price.

i managed to save about £40 per annum on my latest renewal after switching, albeit all paid up front for 12 months fully comp.

I like e-bikes tbf, would like to have one, just wouldn't be practical for getting to and from work unfortunately (half an hour drive vs. double that at least for trains, no direct line to any stations near my work)

Some of them can hit a good 40MPH which would be decent enough for a lot of journeys.

Always strikes me as a bit harsh that the focus is to put pressure on people owning cars rather than manufacturers/importers, tbh. It's them producing or bringing in these horrible, environment destroying monsters at the end of the day.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

On 22/09/2023 at 13:45, Jamie_B said:

Presumably a big part of that is that if you smash head on into someone here your insurer isn't going to have to fork out for anyone's million dollar/pound medical bills as they would in the States.

That’s a correct statement, plus the damages sought these days by ambulance chasing hacks are sky-rocketing. My 6 month premium is $2,205 for a ‘21 Honda Accord and a ‘10 Toyota Corolla…with clean driving histories. For me on the Honda alone it’s just $793…I now see why more kids aren’t driving. If used car prices weren’t insane, I’d drop the Collision/Comprehensive on the kid’s Corolla, but that would even save only $500.