Shoplifting anarchy

ICTChris

2 hours ago, Shotgun said:

Here in the US, Walmart have been closing a number of branches as the theft rate is so high, the shops are no longer profitable. They're also cutting staff to the point where all it would take to walk out with whatever you want is the brass neck to do it. I'm sure there's no connection between the two.

On a similar topic, I was in a local Home Depot (like B&Q) at the weekend, and someone was buying one of those big beer coolers at the self-checkout. The young lass manning the registers strolled over, all casual like and lifted the lid for a peek-in. There was what looked like several hundred dollars-worth of stuff inside. The guy muttered something about having "left his credit card in the car" and legged it. 

In some states shoplifting good under a certain total value (I think it might $1000) is classed as a misdemenour, which attracts lesser sentences than felonies and are more likely to be dismissed.

3 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Arm the staff with iron bars and immunity from prosecution. That would work.

Armed or otherwise, there's not a single employee of The Co-Operative that I could not batter.

I remember being in a garage about 2/3am one morning in Edinburgh and every person in there seemed to be half cut and stuffing their pockets. Even made eye contact with a few of them and they all just laughed it off or smiled. It was actually pretty exciting and I, quite willingly, found myself being carried in the slipstream and got enough chocolate to ensure I'd have a runny tummy in the morning.

7 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

FS. @TxRover alias found. 

Off the top of my head it was Prop 47 in California.

Proposition 47, also known by its ballot title Criminal Sentences. Misdemeanor Penalties. Initiative Statute, was a referendum passed by voters in the state of California on November 4, 2014. The measure was also referred to by its supporters as the Safe Neighborhoods and Schools Act.[2] It recategorized some nonviolent offenses as misdemeanors, rather than felonies, as they had previously been categorized.

The crimes affected were:

Shoplifting, where the value of property stolen does not exceed $950

Grand theft, where the value of the stolen property does not exceed $950

Receiving stolen property, where the value of the property does not exceed $950

Forgery, where the value of forged check, bond or bill does not exceed $950

Fraud, where the value of the fraudulent check, draft or order does not exceed $950

Writing a bad check, where the value of the check does not exceed $950

Personal use of most illegal drugs (Below a certain threshold of weight)[3]

The director of the Stanford Justice Advocacy Project and co-author of Proposition 47, Michael Romano, said in November 2015 that, with respect to Proposition 47, "In the long term, this reallocation of resources should significantly improve public safety". Romano authored a study supporting his conclusion.

Effects

Support

Opposition

Impact on crime rates

See also

23 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I had previously thought one big job was the way forward for my criminal career. I might need to rethink and go for little and often.

If you get caught, just play the auld and doddery/forgetful card. You pass for that at anything over 35 in Airdrie.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

In some states shoplifting good under a certain total value (I think it might $1000) is classed as a misdemenour, which attracts lesser sentences than felonies and are more likely to be dismissed.

In Texas, $2,500.01 to $30,000 for State Jail Felony shoplifting.

Edited by TxRover

52 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

Folks are just walking into some stores and taking some stuff without even pretending they are shopping now. You used to have to sneak stuff out when nobody was looking but now they don't care and staff are told not to do anything.

With cameras there's no point. Just say "f**k it" and go for it.

Most shop staff can't be arsed dealing with it anyway, not worth the hassle.

5 hours ago, Smurph said:

Was offered some Galloway Cheddar outside The Woodside Inn after the football recently, bumped from the Lidl within eyesight of the pub.

I declined but a boy inside was getting his money ready before the pub owner told the dairy punter to f**k off. A shame. I’d have found a boy munching on a full block of cheese entertaining.

I thought it was a lost trade but clearly not.

Wasn’t me!

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

f**k all to steal though. I'll break out the bus pass and cast my net wider.

Dunno about that. I was, fairly recently, offered a couple of yankee candles for a fiver each by a junkie at the wonderfully piss scented stairs of the carpark on Flowerhill St.

I have great memory from my first date with my girlfriend, arranged to meet at Motherwell train station and within a few minutes of meeting we were offered the purchase of a large bag of stolen chicken. I declined as I believe stolen poultry is a second date kind of thing 

1 minute ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I have great memory from my first date with my girlfriend, arranged to meet at Motherwell train station and within a few minutes of meeting we were offered the purchase of a large bag of stolen chicken. I declined as I believe stolen poultry is a second date kind of thing 

If you took it on the train, would it have been Poultry in motion?

31 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Dunno about that. I was, fairly recently, offered a couple of yankee candles for a fiver each by a junkie at the wonderfully piss scented stairs of the carpark on Flowerhill St.

I think I might aim slightly higher.

My local shoplifter retired this year, it's going to vastly increase the cost of Christmas. He was good for fairly high end food and drinks and very reliable. We'll miss him, but wish him all the best.

Thank Heavens the firestick guy is soldiering on.

43 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

You must have been in awe. The step up in class when you cross to the right side of the Clyde is quite something.