Morton Vs Airdrie

No complaints about the result.  Apart from the first 20 mins Airdrie were the better team. An old cliche but the first goal was always going to be so important and the away side got it.  Really impressed with how comfortable Airdrie were on the ball. A young hungry team happy to take risks and play out when  they can. The total opposite from us.

12 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Yup that’s Morton.

Long ball merchants

Yes, entirely accurate.

12 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Yup that’s Morton.

hammer thrower

No, a total figment of your imagination.

A team being one of these does not automatically mean they are the other. If we were actually capable of hammer throwing we wouldn't have found ourselves being effortlessly swatted aside so often.

57 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I think you can tell how much Morton fans like Imrie by the reactions to this defeat.

I’m sure that a more polarising figure would be getting skewered.

Aye, this is spot on. A manager without credit in the bank would be getting absolute pelters for having 5 defeats in the first 7 games. Even Gus MacPherson didn't start a season this badly, albeit he was only one point better off.

His performance in the previous 18 months does give him a massive amount of credit which means people are willing to give him time to turn it round without calling for his head, but if the turnaround doesn't come over the course of this month then survival is already going to look an extremely tall order.

There's always been a bit of a feeling of stubbornness in Imrie in attachment to some players or dislike of others, and understandably not many people gave a shit when we were doing well, but now it's coming to the fore with the guy who scored yesterday being one of our youth products who he punted at the first possible opportunity, which really doesn't help matters. Even if it's still questionable whether McGregor is definitely going to turn out to be good enough for the Championship in the long run, what he certainly already is at 19 is a much better player than Steven Boyd or Jack Bearne, but like another former Hamilton teammate of Imrie's in Ali Crawford last season, Boyd is in the undroppable category despite being utter mince.

The next three games are Queen's Park, Inverness and Ayr. That's as favourable a set of fixtures as we can possibly get just now and if we come out of them still bottom then you really can't see where a turnaround comes from.

Edited by Dunning1874

42 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

There's always been a bit of a feeling of stubbornness in Imrie in attachment to some players or dislike of others, and understandably not many people gave a shit when we were doing well

what he certainly already is at 19 is a much better player than Steven Boyd or Jack Bearne, but like another former Hamilton teammate of Imrie's in Ali Crawford last season, Boyd is in the undroppable category despite being utter 

Agree Dougie is single minded and stubborn this will haunt him if he sticks with picks that don't work. Broadfoot and lesser extent Boyd. Was glad French recovered and played yesterday but no right back and into October? He will need to pull an ace out of the pack.

Maybe an over the top evaluation of Boyd's standard but definately should not be starting in front of McGrattan who also offers us an alternative from lumping the ball into the box.

Having attended 10 games this season I am getting worried that the players Morton are currently putting out on the park will get of of this and get us close to the pack by Christmas.  ICT and Ayr are not the two teams I would like to see us battling with come the end of the season.

Edited by Paisley Ton
Need

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

There's always been a bit of a feeling of stubbornness in Imrie in attachment to some players or dislike of others, and understandably not many people gave a shit when we were doing well, but now it's coming to the fore with the guy who scored yesterday being one of our youth products who he punted at the first possible opportunity, which really doesn't help matters. Even if it's still questionable whether McGregor is definitely going to turn out to be good enough for the Championship in the long run, what he certainly already is at 19 is a much better player than Steven Boyd or Jack Bearne

Heard from someone at Morton that he was getting a really hard time from others behind the scenes when he was there. Not sure how true that is or how bad it was but it would explain him leaving as from the outside looking in he would at least have been a useful member of the squad.

Edited by Diamonds02

On 30/09/2023 at 10:58, Passionate said:

Come on, that's the delights of football,   for years we have been slagging off our stadium as soulless etc,  longing for the days of the terracing etc,  we get an old skool day at Morton and we moan...about a bit of rain. 😉😉

On 30/09/2023 at 11:38, Dunning1874 said:

The vast majority of away supports are in the main stand, unless they're too big for the away section of it in which case the Wee Dublin End is opened, generally as well as the main stand rather than instead. There's also the occasional experiment with away fans in the Cowshed.

Not sure why it's any different today. If anything the most common complaint from away fans is that being in the main stand makes them not want to attend and they'd much rather be in the WDE!

Saw a few of our fans complaining about the WDE on Twitter. Aye it should have a roof or some sort of cover over it. But give me the WDE and Cappielow over sitting in that main stand at New Broomfield any day. At least the place has a bit of character, history and uniqueness to it and feels like a proper football ground. Much better sight lines in there than the main stand at Cappielow which is also a plus. 

Great result yesterday and really important to get that first away win. Thought Morton probably had the better of the first half hour or so. They were physical and winning a lot of the first and second balls in midfield, and I thought you were able to get in behind us fairly effectively. However, other than hitting the post, I don’t remember Morton having any clear cut chances in either half. Once we scored, despite Morton again having a reasonable amount of pressure, it never really felt like they were going to get back into it. Agree with the other posts on here that we dug out the win well but I thought we actually were good going forward too and looked dangerous whenever we managed to get into Morton’s half. We need to start killing teams off though. Thought Todorov should or could have maybe had a go himself at the one he set up for Gal. Although it was a lovely pass and run from the two of them and the offside call looked pretty marginal. Likewise Frizzell should had a shot on goal rather than take a touch/beat a man one too many. You’re practically clean through on goal, what more could you want?! I thought he was the best player on the park yesterday but that’s probably his most frustrating habit. Especially as he’s actually got a good shot on him. 

Delighted for McGregor to get the winner. Think him and his family enjoyed that one 😉 

Don’t think Morton were terrible necessarily, but they really lack a bit of creativity and ingenuity going forward. Clearly ran out of ideas very quickly and shelled long balls and floaty crosses in the general direction of our goal which Rae dealt with easily. 

An 8-point gap is a nice spot to be in at this stage. Ayr, Queen’s Park and Inverness coming up so a real chance to be in a solid position come the end of the first quarter. 

4 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I think you can tell how much Morton fans like Imrie by the reactions to this defeat.

I’m sure that a more polarising figure would be getting skewered.

This is true although the tide is starting to turn in certain quarters. Last few games there's been some negativity directed towards him and allegedly someone had a go after the game in hospitality too. Can understand people's frustrations but some of the shouts have been terrible. Guys that have no clue about football

2 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

Heard from someone at Morton that he was getting a really hard time from others behind the scenes when he was there. Not sure how true that is or how bad it was but it would explain him leaving as from the outside looking in he would at least have been a useful member of the squad.

Don’t know the story but from her celebrations yesterday and some of her previous comments on Twitter and AirdrieFanTV his maw clearly has no time for Dougie Imrie. 

5 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

No complaints about the result.  Apart from the first 20 mins Airdrie were the better team. An old cliche but the first goal was always going to be so important and the away side got it.  Really impressed with how comfortable Airdrie were on the ball. A young hungry team happy to take risks and play out when  they can. The total opposite from us.

Had to laugh at the ‘boring’ shouts coming from the Cowshed. Because watching your team launch long balls in the general direction of those big lumps George Oakley and Robbie Muirhead must be much more appealing to watch! 

24 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Don’t know the story but from her celebrations yesterday and some of her previous comments on Twitter and AirdrieFanTV his maw clearly has no time for Dougie Imrie. 

Had to laugh at the ‘boring’ shouts coming from the Cowshed. Because watching your team launch long balls in the general direction of those big lumps George Oakley and Robbie Muirhead must be much more appealing to watch! 

I completely forgot about the 'boring shouts'. The first thing that came into my head was 'since when did Nelson Muntz become a Morton Fan' 😂

Edited by David Fernández

52 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Saw a few of our fans complaining about the WDE on Twitter. Aye it should have a roof or some sort of cover over it. But give me the WDE and Cappielow over sitting in that main stand at New Broomfield any day. At least the place has a bit of character, history and uniqueness to it and feels like a proper football ground. Much better sight lines in there than the main stand at Cappielow which is also a plus. 

Great result yesterday and really important to get that first away win. Thought Morton probably had the better of the first half hour or so. They were physical and winning a lot of the first and second balls in midfield, and I thought you were able to get in behind us fairly effectively. However, other than hitting the post, I don’t remember Morton having any clear cut chances in either half. Once we scored, despite Morton again having a reasonable amount of pressure, it never really felt like they were going to get back into it. Agree with the other posts on here that we dug out the win well but I thought we actually were good going forward too and looked dangerous whenever we managed to get into Morton’s half. We need to start killing teams off though. Thought Todorov should or could have maybe had a go himself at the one he set up for Gal. Although it was a lovely pass and run from the two of them and the offside call looked pretty marginal. Likewise Frizzell should had a shot on goal rather than take a touch/beat a man one too many. You’re practically clean through on goal, what more could you want?! I thought he was the best player on the park yesterday but that’s probably his most frustrating habit. Especially as he’s actually got a good shot on him. 

Delighted for McGregor to get the winner. Think him and his family enjoyed that one 😉 

Don’t think Morton were terrible necessarily, but they really lack a bit of creativity and ingenuity going forward. Clearly ran out of ideas very quickly and shelled long balls and floaty crosses in the general direction of our goal which Rae dealt with easily. 

An 8-point gap is a nice spot to be in at this stage. Ayr, Queen’s Park and Inverness coming up so a real chance to be in a solid position come the end of the first quarter. 

Agreed on the football analysis but I would have liked a choice of where to view the game given inclement weather likelihood. And the sight lines are always better side on even if I had to sit, side on!

On a sunny day who knows!

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

I was in the shed and didn't hear that. I don't mind different styles as long as they're effective. Pleasing on the eye is a bonus at our level and I was impressed with how Airdrie tried to play football on the deck and retained possession.  Went 1-0 up, kept the ball, soaked up pressure when needed and hit quickly on the counter. Good away performance. 

Like last week was a good performance, this was equally as good a performance (result wise). They had to really concentrate for the full 90 and all it takes is a rogue flick on or a defensive mix up and it's a different match thread so credit for that, and also Mason Hancock, I thought he was great yesterday again although has a tendency to "overplay", running the ball out once or twice, but still a very impressive performance imo.

Nothing more to add, a co trolled workmanlike performance and digging a result out. Take it and move on.

3 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Compared to last year, when we were had the ball on the ground more, it is boring and painful to watch.

I would say that even last year our football was poor for a neutral to watch, but we put a show on in the two home games on BBC Scotland. (Hello, Inverness.)

6 hours ago, ClydeTon said:

Compared to last year, when we were had the ball on the ground more, it is boring and painful to watch.

I would say that even last year our football was poor for a neutral to watch, but we put a show on in the two home games on BBC Scotland. (Hello, Inverness.)

Thought you played with a good tempo in the first-half, and whichever way you do that is or at least can be good to watch. You were just hampered by running out of ideas pretty quickly and a lack of creativity and quality going forward/upfront. Agree with the above poster that it’s all immaterial really as long as you win. But like I say, the ‘boring’ comments made me laugh. This Airdrie team are many things but they’re not boring at either end of the park! 

20 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Not a measure of Dougies man management.

Football is a tough environment and being told you are not good enough or don't fit is reality.

This does not mean you are not a good footballer but you just are not cutting it.

Time to move on realise you need to do better, try harder and focus on what a professional is and you may flourish in a new environment. 

Sadly Maws and Dads see it through coloured specs. That's my boy, oh how good he is , nobody is giving him the ball when he makes a good run etc.

In the last few years I have had to put up with quite a few Maws and Dads sitting close. Ruined my enjoyment as they couldn't take any criticism. Apart from Graham and Tiff few have made it else where and ended up in the juniors.

So best luck to the boy had a decent first half (against our make do right back) but faded later on.

Obvious he enjoyed scoring against Morton so he and his Maw will be happy this week. Will look out for him, so time will tell if the move and reality check are the making of him.

3 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

Not a measure of Dougies man management.

Football is a tough environment and being told you are not good enough or don't fit is reality.

This does not mean you are not a good footballer but you just are not cutting it.

Time to move on realise you need to do better, try harder and focus on what a professional is and you may flourish in a new environment. 

Sadly Maws and Dads see it through coloured specs. That's my boy, oh how good he is , nobody is giving him the ball when he makes a good run etc.

In the last few years I have had to put up with quite a few Maws and Dads sitting close. Ruined my enjoyment as they couldn't take any criticism. Apart from Graham and Tiff few have made it else where and ended up in the juniors.

So best luck to the boy had a decent first half (against our make do right back) but faded later on.

Obvious he enjoyed scoring against Morton so he and his Maw will be happy this week. Will look out for him, so time will tell if the move and reality check are the making of him.

Agree with all that, but it doesn't change the fact that McGregor is a better player than Garrity. So, on some level, it's a measure of Dougie's judgement.