Morton Vs Airdrie

Thinking about this one over the last couple of days, I’m finding it hard to really predict a score line/winner.   We’ve got no injury headaches while Morton struggle, particularly in defense.   It’s not been one of my favourite grounds to go to results wise but I’ve got a feeling we can leave with something.   A bolder man might go for a win and 3 points but I’m thinking this will be our first draw of the campaign and going home with a point.   Maybe this keeps both sets of fans happy?   Morton keep in touch and don’t fall too far behind while gaining a point when they are suffering with their squad.  We end our away hoo-doo and pick up a valuable point.  

we’re playing Morton at just the right time maybe…. And Rhys may want to push hard and go for all 3.   As long as we don’t leave empty handed I’ll be satisfied.   

the Diamond tinted specs say a 2-1 away win.  My head tells me 1-1 

Genuinely can't predict an outcome for this. Obviously I'd love a win but just get the wee niggly feeling this will be a real battle and I hope the team is picked/set up or is able to change if required. Not confident of a win but also not unhopeful of coming away with SOMETHING. we'll see and the wee lassie is looking forward to ticking cappielow off her list.

On 26/09/2023 at 09:37, cb_diamond said:

Also, we have the fun of the spreadbet on how many pages it takes this thread to turn into a complete binfire. I'm going for the first page!

Morning CB. The sun comes up on Page 2. All is bathed in sweetness and light !! 

💙 ❤️

This is a must win, but I don't see where a win's coming from as long as Broadfoot is in the team. Presumably Harkness will be straight in for French and that's going to be the only change from last week, barring any unexpected recoveries from Quitongo or Oakley.

I'd have expected us to finish above Airdrie, although probably get a doing in at least one game of the 4. Last weekend's results for both sides and particularly our injuries are a cause for concern.  Airdrie have every right to fancy their chances of winning tomorrow, and open a healthy points margin. 

For us it's a must-win game before three similarly decent fixtures (Inverness home, Queens Park and Ayr away) in October to take points from. We're in this situation mostly because we took 0 points from our last two home games instead of 4 - that rot has to stop. 

Injuries and the Broadfoot scapegoating are not an excuse for the volume of goals we are shipping. The best way of protecting defensive weaknesses is to actually defend from the front and press effectively. That doesn't take key players to do competently - any jobbers who understand their role and work as a unit can make as just as tough to play against as we were when Dougie first took over. 

31 minutes ago, virginton said:

I'd have expected us to finish above Airdrie, although probably get a doing in at least one game of the 4. Last weekend's results for both sides and particularly our injuries are a cause for concern.  Airdrie have every right to fancy their chances of winning tomorrow, and open a healthy points margin. 

For us it's a must-win game before three similarly decent fixtures (Inverness home, Queens Park and Ayr away) in October to take points from. We're in this situation mostly because we took 0 points from our last two home games instead of 4 - that rot has to stop. 

Injuries and the Broadfoot scapegoating are not an excuse for the volume of goals we are shipping. The best way of protecting defensive weaknesses is to actually defend from the front and press effectively. That doesn't take key players to do competently - any jobbers who understand their role and work as a unit can make as just as tough to play against as we were when Dougie first took over. 

Completely agree, VT. At the moment, we're a shadow of our former selves and just don't look like a Dougie Imrie team  - we're no longer well-drilled. well-organised, hardworking or committed. I also agree re Broadfoot - aye, he's hopeless, but there are 10 other players on the park, some of whom are currently just not turning up to do their jobs. Given the next three fixtures you mention, I'm hoping that a win tomorrow will be the confidence-booster which will springboard us onto better things.  Very happy to see such a quick response in filling the hole at the back by the loan of Jack Harkness following the injury to Tyler French last weekend. Hope he slots in and does well.

32 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

umbrella middle finger GIF

IMG_2276.jpeg

Yeah, I concur here, was planning to head down today, checked the weather forecast, decided against it.

Genuine question for the Morton fans, the away fans being in the WDE must cost you considerable money between autumn and spring with the regular crappy weather putting droves of folks off. Has there ever been talk of changing/covering it? I know the cost would be a huge barrier but the cost of lost income from stay aways in the last few decades must be much, much more?

Screenshot_20230930-105010.png

1 minute ago, cb_diamond said:

Yeah, I concur here, was planning to head down today, checked the weather forecast, decided against it.

Genuine question for the Morton fans, the away fans being in the WDE must cost you considerable money between autumn and spring with the regular crappy weather putting droves of folks off. Has there ever been talk of changing/covering it? I know the cost would be a huge barrier but the cost of lost income from stay aways in the last few decades must be much, much more?

Come on, that's the delights of football,   for years we have been slagging off our stadium as soulless etc,  longing for the days of the terracing etc,  we get an old skool day at Morton and we moan...about a bit of rain. 😉😉

Just now, Passionate said:

Come on, that's the delights of football,   for years we have been slagging off our stadium as soulless etc,  longing for the days of the terracing etc,  we get an old skool day at Morton and we moan...about a bit of rain. 😉😉

Haha teenage me loved an away day on uncovered terracing, 2 decades later me need his basic old man comforts of...checks notes... a roof

45 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

The vast majority of away supports are in the main stand, unless they're too big for the away section of it in which case the Wee Dublin End is opened, generally as well as the main stand rather than instead. There's also the occasional experiment with away fans in the Cowshed.

Not sure why it's any different today. If anything the most common complaint from away fans is that being in the main stand makes them not want to attend and they'd much rather be in the WDE!

Edited by Dunning1874

56 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Not sure why it's any different today. If anything the most common complaint from away fans is that being in the main stand makes them not want to attend and they'd much rather be in the WDE!

I would concur as someone who is over 5ft 2"!

2 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

When St Mirren left Love Street we bought one of the stands' roof from them, but it just rotted in storage and was never installed- evidently.

We did experiment with housing away supporters in the WDE side of the Cowshed, but we seemed to bin it. The temporary fencing was reinstalled at the start of this season, but nobody is ever in it.

Away supporters can always go into the Main Stand, though, if your knees can handle a seat in them for 90 minutes.

Not really bothered about having a roof to be honest, just dress accordingly. Looking forward to returning to Cappielow today and hopeful of a win but our lack of physicality at times really gives me the fear. We tend to really struggle against teams that can mix it physically but hopefully there's more of the same type of performance from last week. I'd go for an unchanged 11 as we looked fairly fluid and comfortable last week.  Heart says 2-1 Airdrie, head says 1-1.