Morton Vs Airdrie

An interesting game ahead, Morton will be desperate to improve on what has been a poor start compared to what was expected. Airdrie have been tremendous at home but have not travelled well and need to start picking up points on the road.

An Airdrie win opens up an 8 point gap between the teams after 7 played. A sentence that I suspect would have got you laughed at by both sets of fans on 4th August.

Also, we have the fun of the spreadbet on how many pages it takes this thread to turn into a complete binfire. I'm going for the first page!

5 hours ago, Colkitto said:

We've been ravaged by injuries and it seems we get 2 back another 2 get injured. 

Who knows what team we'll put out on Saturday?   

Think we’ll actually have a fully fit squad for this one and a little bit of a selection headache for McCabe which will be a welcome problem.   Plenty of players on the bench if things need changed up.   Our clean sheet at the weekend was a bonus but fancy this one to have a few goals in it.   An 8 point gap would be most welcome and definitely gives us a psychological edge.  Just hoping the linesman stays fully fit 😉

No idea what to expect here. The team clearly needs change but I've no idea who can come in this week and strengthen that starting 11. From last weeks squad, we're another 2 bodies down with the only 3 unused subs being 16 year old boys and a goalkeeper. Our one right back and 2 makeshift right backs now out injured and I believe Broadfoot may be suspended after 5 yellow cards in the league so there's every chance we'll have to start Gerry McDade centre half (hardly a downgrade). Need to hope for some miraculous recoveries through the week.

4-0 Morton.

Broadfoot needs one more yellow card to get suspended - chances are that will come on Saturday. Can only echo what other Ton supporters have said about our horrific injury situation, if we're unlucky with midweek recoveries, it will be a bare-bones starting XI. Regarding the likelihood of a bin-fire thread, take a look at the latter stages of the Pars v Morton thread - you'll realise what a largely civilised and roaster-free bunch we are. Despite Airdrie already doing better than many predicted, I think we'll narrowly scrape it 1-0. I hope I'm right, or we're getting into deep shite.

Best wishes from Greenock.

14 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

Regarding the likelihood of a bin-fire thread, take a look at the latter stages of the Pars v Morton thread - you'll realise what a largely civilised and roaster-free bunch we are. 

To be fair it was mainly tongue in cheek as a dig at the couple of fairly "ooft" Morton supporters who made a beeline for our thread as soon as it was up and running with some dreadful, dreadful out of date patter (you'll be exactly aware of who it is from your own dealings with them). Most Morton fans, like most lower league fans are a sound bunch of folk.

We were well beaten in the playoffs during the Covid season and there's been improvement in our squad over the last period and not just dependency on a few players.

Last time I was at Cappielow it was being squeezed into the old stand and I wonder if the wee Dublin end is the open bit behind the goal?

If Morton have a limited squad then we might overcome our recent away defeats but it's a funny old game!

Lewis McGregor was released by Morton so I'd suspect he would want to put on a good show. 

One of my friends was a keen Morton fan and that amazing turn around so many years ago, always remained a happy talking point for me, in the end, less so for him. 

Hope the weather is decent if we're outdoor! 

20 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I wonder if the wee Dublin end is the open bit behind the goal?

Hope the weather is decent if we're outdoor! 

Aye, that's the WDE. And no - it's Greenock, so chances are it will be pishing down. For any Airdrie fans travelling - the best way to get your tickets is via the Fanbase app which we went live with at the beginning of the season. 4 clicks and your ticket's bought - it's very good. The traditional Cappielow pre-match watering hole for both home and away supporters is The Norseman, located close to the ground. We look forward to welcoming yous.

So yous can enjoy watching us beat you.

Edited by Chippyminton

Should be an interesting game, im convinced anyone in this league is capable of beating anyone else as out last two resutls have shown, so could go either way, would be happy with a draw. As I said on the Airdrie thread, its great to be in the championship again playing teams like Morton etc

Our away performances have got steadily worse this season. Dunfermline away was a decent performance and we could have taken something, Dundee Utd away we were okay but didn't look like ever taking anything, and Arbroath away the scoreline says it all. Really important we start to turn that around. I'm confident we'll pick up points at home this season as we've already shown, but there's still a question mark over whether we can go away to venues like Cappielow and get a result playing how we play. What sounds like a weakened Morton team probably presents our best opportunity yet, but it will be a very tough game. I think Muirhead will be a real threat as we aren't the strongest in the air. Will be an interesting game.

17 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Our away performances have got steadily worse this season. Dunfermline away was a decent performance and we could have taken something, Dundee Utd away we were okay but didn't look like ever taking anything, and Arbroath away the scoreline says it all. Really important we start to turn that around. I'm confident we'll pick up points at home this season as we've already shown, but there's still a question mark over whether we can go away to venues like Cappielow and get a result playing how we play. What sounds like a weakened Morton team probably presents our best opportunity yet, but it will be a very tough game. I think Muirhead will be a real threat as we aren't the strongest in the air. Will be an interesting game.

I wouldn’t worry muirhead doesn’t know how to jump 

22 hours ago, Chippyminton said:

Aye, that's the WDE. And no - it's Greenock, so chances are it will be pishing down. For any Airdrie fans travelling - the best way to get your tickets is via the Fanbase app which we went live with at the beginning of the season. 4 clicks and your ticket's bought - it's very good. The traditional Cappielow pre-match watering hole for both home and away supporters is The Norseman, located close to the ground. We look forward to welcoming yous.

So yous can enjoy watching us beat you.

Where is the best place to park, I used to park before the park hand side, think it has been regenerated since then it's been a few years..

Is there a car park behind the home end on the hill, looks quite small ,( Google maps)

28 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Where is the best place to park, I used to park before the park hand side, think it has been regenerated since then it's been a few years..

Is there a car park behind the home end on the hill, looks quite small ,( Google maps)

I almost always come into Cartsdyke on the train so I can have a few pints, so I can't be 100% sure. Many folk used to park at Morrisons supermarket. I did hear something about a newly-introduced ANPR with a 2-hour limit though? Maybe someone else can chip in and clarify. If you can't get a space at any of the carparks you'll find on Google Maps, on the odd occasions I have driven there, the streets around the ground have usually turned up a spot. Some of these are metered, some of them aren't. Luck of the draw as always.

Edited by Chippyminton

Parking has been disrupted due to water/sewer infrastructure roadworks before Cappielow.

So either stop at Inchgreen dock and 15 min walk.

Or turn left at Gibshill Road before Arnold Clark's.

Lastly turn left as you go by Arnold Clark, but I would say first two until works are complete by Nov/Dec or you will be stuck getting back through the roadworks.

PS don't take my space! 

19 hours ago, Passionate said:

there is loads of on street parking in the housing estate behind Cappielow.  I usually get there for about 2.30 and always get a spot on Carwood St, Auchendarroch St or the upper part of Sinclair St around the shops - all a less than 5 min walk from the ground

Said on our thread this a good opportunity to finally get some away points on the board. An 8 point gap, even at this stage of the season, would be sweet. That being said, I’m not particularly confident. This is exactly the sort of game I can see us struggling in. Assuming ATS and McStravick are back this will be the first game we’ll have a full squad to choose from which should hopefully be a boost. I can only assume that the midfield and upfront will go unchanged. What McCabe does with the defence will be interesting though. Not convinced by Watson as a long-term option at centre-half. But he had a good game (and a cleansheet) last week and he’s possibly our best option RE standing up to Muirhead and Oakley physically. Think this will be decided by a goal. 

Could have done without seeing Robbie Muirhead’s screamer again on Twitter.