Morton Vs Airdrie

11 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

We now need seven points from the next three games just to be in a relegation battle as opposed to being cut adrift.

As soon as we went behind we were beaten there. Speculative crosses from deep were all we had to offer.

You’ve got a guaranteed 3 points coming next weekend 

1 minute ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Talk sense.

No Morton supporter would turn down 4 points from the next 3... after 1 from the last 6, that's the definition of 'steadying the ship'.

And 5 or 6 points would be a fantastic return in current circumstances (literally).

Yes, I would absolutely bite your hand off for that... my point being that even if we manage it, we would still be firmly in relegation form.

Another huge result for Airdrie. I was very concerned when I saw Broadfoot wasn’t starting but fair play, we didn’t need him after all. It wasn’t the best game and we didn’t create too much but three points and a clean sheet is great. Ballantyne and Hancock were excellent again. 

Morton were exactly what I expected. Very physical, direct and played at a very high tempo. For all their fans were calling Airdrie “boring”, if they had been more patient and hadn’t rushed into everything they might not have wasted a few attacks in the first half. I think they’ll come good still, I’ve seen worse teams this season, but they need a few wins soon.

Pathetic. 

Started well, had a few chances, would've likely been 1-0 up if Steven Boyd was a real footballer. 

One moment later and Airdrie are ahead.

We done nothing after that.

Blues isn't a right back. McGrattan isn't a right back. A right back was sitting on the bench.

Power is shite. Wilson is shite. 

No creativity or pace in attack.

Airdrie came with a game plan and it worked. 

We started brightly and Robbie had a shot off the post. That was about it as far as the game was concerned. From then on we still retained the bulk of possession, but it was huffing and puffing stuff with little or no end result.

Boyd really should have came off after the 1st half, but Dougie didn't think so and persevered with him. With the game crying out for McGratten he finally subbed Boyd but with audible gasps of amazement and bewilderment decided to put McGratten on at RB! Why I'll never know? 

In the end up we got nothing from the game at all. Dougie took some OTT Boo's at the end out of sheer frustration.   

Massive win for Airdrie today!! Game wasn't exactly a classic but it's great to know that we can be able to grind out results.

I think Morton lacked creativity going forward, I never really felt threatened by them during the game and apart from the effort off the post in the first half, they didn't really look like scoring.

Was worth getting absolutely drenched in the WDE to see a Lewis McGregor Masterclass!! 

That feels like a big result for us today. I was concerned about the physicality getting the better of us today but we were excellent at dealing with that and everything else Morton came at us with albeit most of their play was very poor and predictable. While we weren't great today I thought anytime we went forward we looked dangerous and were probably guilty of over playing sometimes but who cares in the end we came away with the 3 points. 

A wee added point on our play, for a team so comfortable on the ball we are sometimes very careless in simple possession, cut that out and who knows what our ceiling is. 

Mon the Diamonds♦️

On the game I was not surprised to see Morton mainly be direct while we occasionally overplayed in the late period when our counter attacks offered good chances.

The spell in the first half before we scored, was dominated by Morton and the post saved us again, like last week. I've not seen Morton obviously but they don't look relegation material in effort terms but I was surprised to see Muirhead wasting his time wide right, and Boyd's career has hardly advanced. 

As others have said Morton appeared to simply sling the ball eventually into the box but our back four and goalie were rarely in trouble.

Frizzell was the best player on the park despite such a poorly awarded yellow card. Good to see McGregor scoring.

On the subject of the rain etc I was allowed in the stand and it remains a puzzle as to why Morton were unwilling to allow these senior citizens ( and others) a choice to purchase a seated area, even if they're only suitable for short legged chaps.

Good 3 points hard place to go,  unusual game,  Airdrie didn't have to be great,  but we seem a lot.more durable than at times last season with largely the same personnel.  We still overplay it a little too much,  goalscoring opportunities are few and far between, and that Achilles heel could well haunt us as the season goes on..

Morton have some good players ,  they seemed to me a little short of sharpness all over the park, where as we were very sharp,  Cappielow is a hard place to go and get a result...

Not really sure what happened to McGregor at Morton last year,  still just a young lad, and is improving and seems in a decent place now,  l Took his goal well, which is one of his weaknesses..

As strip's go that Away kit must be up there with the best...

3 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Morton seemed very one dimensional, diagonal long balls all game with no end product. 

We have played better and lost so that's pleasing. 

Yup that’s Morton.

Long ball hammer thrower merchants. Every team that plays them tell them this, it’s only their fans that don’t see it. 

With Abroath being competent, ICT with a much better squad along with Ayr I don’t see who finishes below them. Seaside beckons which is exactly where their brand of football deserves to be.

Edited by RAITHROVERS84

Fair play to all the Airdrie supporters who have graciously focused on their own team's positives, rather than simply gloating and taking the pish out of a clearly-struggling (and now bottom of the league) opponent. Well done on your win. For us - onwards (and hopefully) upwards.

EDIT = I can't help but notice that the only roasters on this entire thread are 'supporters' of other teams - those knobheads 'Dancing in the streets of Raith' who can't spell 'Arbroath' - or some monumentally brain-dead cretin from St. Mirren. My advice would be to f**k off back to your own vacuous, toxic threads, and allow fair-minded, civilised fitba supporters to write posts about the game we saw today.

Which you didn't.

Edited by Chippyminton

First half hour we were decent and probably the better team, aggressive in pressing and looking more like our usual selves. The first goal always looked likely to be crucial, and the two central midfielders get sucked up the park leaving a ridiculous gap in front of the defence that Airdrie exploited. From Airdrie's side it's a very good pass to break the press and then execution of a team move to score - at least some blame belongs to our defensive shape though.

The next 40 minutes was a classic case of a team huffing and puffing with little confidence. Other than Boyd none of the players were abysmal, but everyone was playing the safe pass and delegating responsibility to get a goal to Someone Else. We miss Quitongo to a ridiculous extent. 

Airdrie's disallowed goal for offside looked legitimate from my view (nowhere near in line) in the Cowshed - the linesmen made similar objectively dreadful calls though with less obvious impact throughout the game.

The last 20 minutes was completely risible as players just ran out of fitness and ideas, launching it the way they were facing. Davidson or another youngster needed to come on to add some energy at the very least to our attack. Special shout out to Waters who for some reason decided that full backs can't progess within 40 yards of Airdrie's goal and just shelled floated crosses into the keeper's arms upon reaching that magical force field. 

The Gillespie-Power combination is too negative and lacking energy for this sort of game. Boyd and Bearne have been disastrous 'additions'. The defence actually looks a bit better but we simply need to get a win from somewhere fast to turn this round.

If we get that win then I think we'll recover and be fine, but it's a low-confidence squad right now and the Championship is not the level to find an easy pick me up three points. I still think Airdrie will encounter a similar issue come November or January but they are building a healthy points cushion at the moment to deal with that.

44 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

Fair play to all the Airdrie supporters who have graciously focused on their own team's positives, rather than simply gloating and taking the pish out of a clearly-struggling (and now bottom of the league) opponent. Well done on your win. For us - onwards (and hopefully) upwards.

EDIT = I can't help but notice that the only roasters on this entire thread are 'supporters' of other teams - those knobheads 'Dancing in the streets of Raith', or even some monumentally brain-dead cretin from St. Mirren. F**k off back to your own vacuous, toxic threads, and allow fair-minded, civilised fitba supporters to write posts about the game we saw today. Which you didn't.

St Mirren fan who conveniently forgets that we beat their side last season when we were League 1.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

First half hour we were decent and probably the better team, aggressive in pressing and looking more like our usual selves. The first goal always looked likely to be crucial, and the two central midfielders get sucked up the park leaving a ridiculous gap in front of the defence that Airdrie exploited. From Airdrie's side it's a very good pass to break the press and then execution of a team move to score - at least some blame belongs to our defensive shape though.

The next 40 minutes was a classic case of a team huffing and puffing with little confidence. Other than Boyd none of the players were abysmal, but everyone was playing the safe pass and delegating responsibility to get a goal to Someone Else. We miss Quitongo to a ridiculous extent. 

Airdrie's disallowed goal for offside looked legitimate from my view (nowhere near in line) in the Cowshed - the linesmen made similar objectively dreadful calls though with less obvious impact throughout the game.

The last 20 minutes was completely risible as players just ran out of fitness and ideas, launching it the way they were facing. Davidson or another youngster needed to come on to add some energy at the very least to our attack. Special shout out to Waters who for some reason decided that full backs can't progess within 40 yards of Airdrie's goal and just shelled floated crosses into the keeper's arms upon reaching that magical force field. 

The Gillespie-Power combination is too negative and lacking energy for this sort of game. Boyd and Bearne have been disastrous 'additions'. The defence actually looks a bit better but we simply need to get a win from somewhere fast to turn this round.

If we get that win then I think we'll recover and be fine, but it's a low-confidence squad right now and the Championship is not the level to find an easy pick me up three points. I still think Airdrie will encounter a similar issue come November or January but they are building a healthy points cushion at the moment to deal with that.

A well balanced report on the game.

Just now, virginton said:

still think Airdrie will encounter a similar issue come November or January but they are building a healthy points cushion at the moment to deal with that.

You think we'll encounter the problem of being a really quite shite squad with a laughably inept manager in two specific months? Cool story.