Week 4 (London Baby!)

lichtie23

54 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

The Chiefs only won because the refs let them. Two absolutely dispicably bad calls to help them cash in on the Taylor Swift money.

I mean, honestly, how the f**k can anyone watch this non call on the Chiefs and think it's anything other than corrupt. 

12 hours ago, PB1994 said:

This mug has Devonte Adams to get a TD on a bet so I’m having a bit of a heads gone at that Raiders drive.

Adams caught the ball inside the end zone but the refs ruled it short. Instead of challenging it, McDaniels ran another play.

We scored on that drive anyway but your bet should have landed if it wasn’t for shite refs (surprise!) and an idiot HC.

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

I mean, honestly, how the f**k can anyone watch this non call on the Chiefs and think it's anything other than corrupt. 

And that's without mentioning the PI against Sauce, when the flag was conveniently thrown after we'd picked it off...

Guest DannyBlue
19 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

In the first year the excuse for shit-awful performance was that he was having to run a D with Gus Bradley's personnel, but right away my bullshit detector was going great-guns because any supposed "Defensive Guru" should be able to adjust his scheme to account for that, and also use existing players to their strengths. Instead, what I saw was tantamount to thumping square players into round holes, and a suspicion that even accounting for the mismatched personnel, the scheme itself was suspect and less than robust. 

The sort of thing I'm talking about was that a lot was made straight away about how Staley just doesn't value ILB's. First of all, his scheme only ever has two, and frequently only one LB on the field at any time to begin with, so the logic is that pass-rush and good coverage is crucial to his scheme, given that it's about taking away chunk gains through the air. The problem was though, every single week his D goes out there, and the LB's get completely abused in both the run and pass games. They were making drag tackles against totally unimpeded rushers 7 yards down the field, because they aren't big or tough enough to take on blockers and get off blocks, so they don't crash the line, and they play more like box Safeties v the run, but conversely, they aren't particularly athletic, and because the scheme puts both Safeties deep, they have to be responsible for the entire shallow and intermediate depths of the middle of the field in coverage, so there's loads of empty space for passing offences to exploit. From where I'm standing, it's obvious to me that a big part of the reason why Staley's D's utterly stink is because it's so easy to abuse the LB's, yet according to the man himself LB's are not an important component of his scheme. I'm not an NFL coach, but I can see complete fucking idiocy and rank incompetence when it stands out like a sore thumb. Your D is easy to abuse because your ILB's are both substandard, AND you are a fucking idiot who leaves them on an island with enormous responsibilities that even he very best LB's in the league would struggle with. Tell me again how LB's are not important in your scheme?

So in one off-season the Chargers went entirely D-heavy, brought in a f**k ton of players Staley wanted as pieces for his scheme, and lo and behold, it was even fucking worse than in the first year! All the same problems, the worst run D the NFL has seen since the early 60's (I'm not exaggerating, literally the worst run D in YPA since 1963), and a propensity to give up huge plays through the air over and over, and yet again near bottom of the NFL in PPG conceded. 

They didn't have the money to go crazy on D this off-season, but they spent a 2nd and a 3rd rounder on players for the front 7, got JC Jackson, Joey Bosa, and Austin Johnson back from injury, so there is really no excuse for the D being worse than useless given that it's the 3rd year of the scheme, right?

Nope. They are still utterly hopeless v's the run, but they are now giving up plays of 30 yards+ through the air at a rate that no previous NFL D ever has, and to top that off, they now also have a habit of extending drives via penalty. Through three weeks the D is giving up 29PPG, continuing the trend of getting worse year on year.

So I'd love to just ask Staley what exactly it is that his D is supposed to be doing, because whatever it is, no matter how you measure it, it is getting worse the longer he's is around, and the more investment is put into it. Stop chunk plays through the air? Well no, because since 2021 the Chargers have given up more plays of 30 yards+ through the air than any other team in the league.

The point of a D is to prevent your opponent scoring. The fact that Staley's D's have been right at the bottom of the pile in terms of PPG surrendered in all three years he's been HC is the biggest indicator there is that he is a total and utter fraud. To be frank, it doesn't matter how the f**k you go about stopping your opponent, if your D is only giving up 17PPG it's an effective D and you should win most of your games. When your D is giving up 29ppg on a long-term basis, it's a shitty, ineffectual D, so all the talk about "concepts" and "points of emphasis" are utterly ridiculous. Your D clearly doesn't work, that's the only relevant point.

Oh, and BTW, the Chargers have 49% of their total Cap spent on D. The next nearest team is 43%, and most franchises are below 40%. So not only one of the long-standing poorest Defences in terms of performance, but also the most expensive. It is totally inexcusable.

Just getting around to read this now. Was avoiding the thread until I saw the Jets-Chiefs highlights. Really good breakdown of whats happened.

1 hour ago, jakedee said:

Bit late to comment, but.... 1st visit, some stadium

20231001_144802.jpg

Have done the stadium tour at JerryWorld, and also thought it was some stadium - but I thought that scoreboard was fcuking ridiculous looking. I actually laughed out loud when I saw it!

2 hours ago, Swarley said:

Looks a pretty good view of the game from up there?

What you missed on the field being quite far away was more than made up for on the screen. Every seat has a clear view of all the field.

The screen is amazing.

Just reading back the last few posts and realised my ‘fcuking ridiculous’ comment looks like I am slagging JerryWorld’s big board. I really meant that on the tour, when they first took us into the main arena part, I wasn’t prepared for how big the board actually is, and literally laughed out loud thinking ‘that’s fcuking ridiculous!’… if that makes sense. It was an initial first reaction. Stadium is amazing, scoreboard is quite amazing actually. I did the tour of the old Cowboys Stadium too… back in the day. Got nothing against the Cowboys, or their scoreboard. Honest Guv’.

Mind you, we waited for a cab for so long outside the Cowboys team store after the tour, that forever lodged in my head is hearing on loop being played from within the shop… ‘Hi, I’m Jason Witten. Welcome to the home of the Dallas Cowboys!’… followed by blurb about the store and merchandise.

I bought a T Shirt. 😎