Financial arrangements in relationships.

Ex-wife and I had a joint account. Technically, she was added to mine. Was a pain in the arse to go through the rigmarole of taking her back off it when we split.

My wife and I never bothered with a joint account. I pay the mortgage and the house-related bills, she buys the food and clothing etc. in this digital era, it’s easy enough for one of us to send the other cash if we need to.

18 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Ex-wife and I had a joint account. Technically, she was added to mine. Was a pain in the arse to go through the rigmarole of taking her back off it when we split.

My wife and I never bothered with a joint account. I pay the mortgage and the house-related bills, she buys the food and clothing etc. in this digital era, it’s easy enough for me to take cash out of her account when I want it one of us to send the other cash if we need to.

There

Edited by Jacksgranda
Grandma

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2023 at 20:24, parsforlife said:

A joint account for the essentials makes sense but I think each having there own money to spend how they like also helps, Β you absolutely don’t want a β€˜how come you spend Β£3 in the shop last week’ scenarioΒ 

Joint current account and savings account.Β  She has her own account which she transfers into each month.

I've also got credit cards, a Very account and a PayPal credit account but she knows exactly what's on them - they tend to be used for larger purchases - taking advantage of BNPL deals and low interest balance transfers.

At the start of each month I'll do a budget but we go over it together to make sure I've not missed anything.

If either of us are going to make a large purchase we discuss it first - more about how we're paying for it rather than what it is for.

It seems to work - we should be completely debt free by June (we've paid our mortgage off in 16 years) so she can retire early then.

Β 

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

4 minutes ago, guinness said:

I would say separate all the way because she would have a hairy fit, on how much I contributed to Bet365's growing income πŸ€­πŸ˜„πŸ˜‚

Probably the best argument yet for having joint accounts!Β 

Just now, hk blues said:

Probably the best argument yet for having joint accounts!Β 

Not in my view 🀫 When I won, I would tell my ex & she would want a cut. So I said fair enough when I lose you can give me a bung. She soon shut upπŸ˜„ But after that I never told her Sfa. Basically it's feck all to do with her unless we end up in the grubber which hasn't happened so far😳😁