Dunfermline vs Ayr - Sat 21st Oct

That was very pleasing. Unnecessarily nervy towards the end, should have been out of sight. Completely nullified Dunfermline for the most part and played some great stuff. 

That save from Albinson was tremendous. Another brilliant, deserved victory. I have been one of Bullen's biggest critics at times but credit to him and the team again, a very good set up and a largely very comfortable performance today.

3 points further from 9th.

Just now, Sarto Mutiny said:

I still find it odd that there isn't a place for Logan Chalmers at Dundee United, but hey, we won 5-0 today so it's hard to be too critical. Pleased to see he's doing well at Ayr though.

Is there any specific reason why he's never broke through there? Would walk into most teams in this league imo

A 1-0 defeat is better than we deserved. Ayr were dominant and never looked like dropping points. Logan Chalmers was outstanding and ran the show.

From our perspective, it was horrendous. We had a few chances to salvage a point, but Ayr had about 6/7 chances to extend their lead that were as good, or better.

Jakubiak has to score. Great save, but the keeper shouldn’t have been given a chance. We were all over the place and the manager’s subs were very weird. Hooking Chalmers, then bringing on Allan at half time to do what Chalmers usually does… also no idea why he waited until HT to change the shape/bring Breen off. He should have been off when we made the double sub. Mehmet’s shot stopping was decent. But he was glued to his line at set pieces, which was a cause for concern. First half, Ayr were putting every corner between him and the six yard line.

Ref was awful. But not going to focus on that, as he certainly isn’t the reason we lost. Ayr had a handball claim for a penalty at 0-0 and I thought it looked like it could have been a pen from where I was. Could be wrong though, as I didn’t have the best view of it.

17 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Absolute disgrace of a first half. Every one of them.

Rhys Breen comes back fat and completely unfit yet again. An overweight carthorse that should've been nowhere near that starting 11.

Surely on the wind up? I can think of a good few who were off it (could argue them all) but he’d be one of the last on the list. Quite a bizarre attack tbh. 

A game of two halves really.

In the first half we bossed it against a poor Pars side. If it hadn't been for some profligate finishing we'd have been 2 or 3 goals up. McKenzie the main culprit for missing some glorious chances. He still got into those positions.

The second half we were second to every ball and Dunfermline were all over us. Charlie made a phenomenal save to keep us in it. We never really got going. I thought the subs made us worse buy maybe necessary for tired legs.

Ahui did rather well at right back. Was pleased with him.

A wins a win and I'll take it but it wasn't half nervy in that second half. Squeaky bum time for the full second half.

Edited by Trogdor

5 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Surely on the wind up? I can think of a good few who were off it (could argue them all) but he’d be one of the last on the list. Quite a bizarre attack tbh. 

Me on the wind up?  You could see how bad he was?  Clearly clueless

We did have a couple of chances that we should be taking advantage of, but Ayr had about 4/5 guilt-edge chances that should be rattling the net. I think Deniz pulled off a couple of good stops.

Very concerning couple of performances from us. We look all over the place, tactically. Bizarre subs and stupid errors that you’d expect in League 1. The misplaced passes (that looked as though a walking corpse could easily make) and referee allowing Ayr to kick balls away summed it all up. 

That’s the worst I have seen us at EEP for quite a while. Unsure if it is hyperbolic or not to say it was worse than Yogi. Seems to be the worst I can remember since Grant, anyway. Back to the drawing board, and back to the basics for McPake methinks.   

Pros..no injuries I think, and we haven't played more games than the teams around us .

When Josh missed that chance a few mins in, it at least gave some promise of a good attacking performance. Sadly moments of indecision and lack of concentration in defence. Mainly with breen, Comrie and Mehmet, and I think it knocked the confidence which spread throughout the team

Could and should have been 3 or 4 nil to Ayr at half time. I said beyond the Josh Edwards chance, only think I clapped for all first half was McCann winning a corner.

Second half was better, we got a foothold in the game and had one massive chance with the rebound from shot of the post. It looked easier to score. Aye forced Mehmet into a few saves, if routine saves and looked sharper and more confident throughout, so for me if we had scored, it would have been undeserved.

So we'll done Ayr. We need to do better

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

A game of two halves really.

In the first half we bossed it against a poor Pars side. If it hadn't been for some profligate finishing we'd have been 2 or 3 goals up. McKenzie the main culprit for missing some glorious chances. He still got into those positions.

The second half we were second to every ball and Dunfermline were all over us. Charlie made a phenomenal save to keep us in it. We never really got going. I thought the subs made us worse buy maybe necessary for tired legs.

Ahui did rather well at right back. Was pleased with him.

A wins a win and I'll take it but it wasn't half nervy in that second half. Squeaky bum time for the full second half.

You have got to be taking the piss. You were in cruise control for large parts of the game, and should have absolutely hammered us, if it weren’t for poor finishing and some good saves. Jakubiak had a chance and so did Edwards, but that was it. We did next to nothing the rest of the game. 

That was the most inept performances I've seen in a very, very long time. Really, really bad. 

First half we were just running round like headless chickens. Fair play to McPake for making the early changes, but they were the wrong ones to make. I called it after 5 mins that he would need to bring Allan on to fix the shape.

Yet we still only lost 1-0 and had chances to equalise. Ayr fans will be pleased with their performance but I think it was more down to the abysmal opposition. A better team would have been 4 or 5 up at HT. 

Other than the goal I don't get the hype around Chalmers. 

The defensive shape was a joke. We've got Edwards as left wing back yet was hardly back the first half and Otoo was being forced to come wide to defend and leaving massive gaps in the centre.

The other side wasn't much better with us insisting on playing Ohalloran as a wingback ffs. They seemed to both have been told to push forward leaving us struggling at the back and Ayr should have score 3 or 4 the first half.

Taking Hamilton off was a joke. He could have gone to a back 4 and kept Hamilton in the middle as Captain. 

Ayr were hungrier, moved faster, passed the ball far better and created space better. We should have been hammered there. I'd be disappointed as an Ayr fan seeing them only score one against us today.

Peter Grant era bad today. shocking

24 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

For anyone who watched/was at the game how did Ahui do? Cause if McAllister’s injury means he’s out for any significant period gonna have to get use to Ahui playing 

He was largely okay. There was a few moments were he looked shaky at points, but he seemed to really grow into the game after a couple of decent tackles and link ups down the wing. 

Overall, pleasantly surprised. 

Edited by AuAl