Arbroath vs Raith Rovers, Sat 21 Oct…now P-P

Raith coming into the match in second, playing well but with squad depth issues...

Arbroath coming into the match off a return to winning against Queen of the South after ICT ended a nice winning run...

I'm very concerned about our defence against a Lichties side that seems to have found its shooting boots after a slow start. If we can start scoring those chances we've been missing, it could be a high scoring affair.

Edited by TxRover

24 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I started a thread without seeing this and not sure how to delete it 

Game will be off surely - never ever seen wind forecasted for over 50mph when checking before a game before 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gfn1v0610#?date=2023-10-21

Hope it does get cancelled,  it'll give our wounded a chance to recover

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Game will be off surely - never ever seen wind forecasted for over 50mph when checking before a game before 

It's still almost a week away, might not be as bad as forecast just now.

I’ve been to Gayfield probably more than ten times now and it has never, ever been a nice day. Was going to book trains today but will just hold off and see what it’s like on Saturday. Would rather it was off than having to watch us play in 50mph winds. 

16 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I’ve been to Gayfield probably more than ten times now and it has never, ever been a nice day. Was going to book trains today but will just hold off and see what it’s like on Saturday. Would rather it was off than having to watch us play in 50mph winds. 

Yellow weather warning over most of the east coast and inland as far as Stirling

We've seen loads of games where people have been suggesting call offs long in advance, only for it to be lovely and calm on the day.  I'm sure it will be fine.

Or alternatively, if its windy, Raith give me the fear, so playing them in a stiff breeze should make it into more of a lottery.  Mind that Partick Thistle game a few years back where Scott Fox shanked something like 13 identical goal kicks out of play?  One of the most entertaining halves of football I can mind in ages!

15 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

We've seen loads of games where people have been suggesting call offs long in advance, only for it to be lovely and calm on the day.  I'm sure it will be fine.

Or alternatively, if its windy, Raith give me the fear, so playing them in a stiff breeze should make it into more of a lottery.  Mind that Partick Thistle game a few years back where Scott Fox shanked something like 13 identical goal kicks out of play?  One of the most entertaining halves of football I can mind in ages!

2-0 up at half time? Remember worrying it wouldn’t be enough to get a result but it was purely based off of how hard Partick made it look the first 45 minutes 

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

2-0 up at half time? Remember worrying it wouldn’t be enough to get a result but it was purely based off of how hard Partick made it look the first 45 minutes 

That's the one.  I believe McKenna scored directly from a corner.  Watching Scott Fox line up another absolutely massive kick to exactly the same place with exactly the same result as the previous 10 identical kicks, resulting in a throw in which turned into an immediate chance on goal, was one of the great football moments.  

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Just  watched the forecast for the week ahead on Countryfile. Friday is where it goes up to and it's horrendous. Assuming Saturday won't be much of an improvement looking at the synoptic chart. 

I'm another one that has been up about 5/6 times and every game has been a bit of a farce with the wind - this time it looks like it will be the pinnacle!

Current Met office weather has it about 25 but 'gusts' of 45. I imagine right down by the water this will be fully felt.

Is that enough to get a game called off in advance? Or is it basically that it the pitch is playable (rain-wise) the game will go ahead regardless of the wind?

We seem to be having a sticky time with injuries and a few of our 'stronger' players who would be needed for a battle/these conditions (Hamilton, Easton, Watson) are all likely missing. So a postponement would probably be welcomed. And with the weather the game is more a lottery, so again from a Rovers point of view I think a postponement would be beneficial. BUT I am desperate for my football fix (didn't make it Saturday as no interest in diddy cup until the final) and have been really looking forward to the day out. So telling myself its win-win if off or on...

1 hour ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

I'm another one that has been up about 5/6 times and every game has been a bit of a farce with the wind - this time it looks like it will be the pinnacle!

Current Met office weather has it about 25 but 'gusts' of 45. I imagine right down by the water this will be fully felt.

Is that enough to get a game called off in advance? Or is it basically that it the pitch is playable (rain-wise) the game will go ahead regardless of the wind?

We seem to be having a sticky time with injuries and a few of our 'stronger' players who would be needed for a battle/these conditions (Hamilton, Easton, Watson) are all likely missing. So a postponement would probably be welcomed. And with the weather the game is more a lottery, so again from a Rovers point of view I think a postponement would be beneficial. BUT I am desperate for my football fix (didn't make it Saturday as no interest in diddy cup until the final) and have been really looking forward to the day out. So telling myself its win-win if off or on...

I can’t see the game being postponed due to rain anyway that rarely happens. Games have been called off in advance if the wind is very bad though.

I’ve never seen forecasts of gusts over 50 but I notice that’s come down now. Where it is sitting is around about or near too the levels games have gone ahead but it is at the very upper limit.

I dunno if they just have that forecast because of how bad the rain is and the yellow weather warning or what. I remember there was a similar forecast just before lockdowns and we beat QoTS 2-0 at Gayfield on a wet but calm day. 

It might be a lot of shite but all the bad bad windy days I remember are the days it’s clear skies and sunny. Hopefully the worst of this weather comes on Thursday and Friday.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Met office and BBC both now saying gusts of around 30mph on Saturday afternoon so it’ll be on if that’s the case. Yes that’s still windy but not enough to make it a farce.

The forecast has also changed considerably for the better since yesterday so hopefully that’s the trend and Saturday turns out to be ok.

24 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Met office and BBC both now saying gusts of around 30mph on Saturday afternoon so it’ll be on if that’s the case. Yes that’s still windy but not enough to make it a farce.

The forecast has also changed considerably for the better since yesterday so hopefully that’s the trend and Saturday turns out to be ok.

Yeah way it is trending seems game on and also not even too bad a day - 

Same team as last week for me - even Balde over Dow. That’s not me saying Balde is good out there but I just feel Dow needs to do a bit more. Need more goals and assists if playing in that position for me. 

18 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Yeah way it is trending seems game on and also not even too bad a day - 

Same team as last week for me - even Balde over Dow. That’s not me saying Balde is good out there but I just feel Dow needs to do a bit more. Need more goals and assists if playing in that position for me. 

Balde did absolutely nothing against QOS

22 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Balde did absolutely nothing against QOS

Kind of feel like that’s the way I’ve felt about Dow for most of his time here. Last season he looked quite good when he came in but I think that’s because we’d been so bad and he is a solid reliable player who will always be at least average.

Don’t feel like he gives you enough going forward considering he plays right wing, always very conservative and when he gets in good areas he delivers on the main poor balls into the box or duffs shots miles over the bar.

Can’t help but feel he is a player who should be playing centrally as think he always looks good there and when he comes inside. Clever player who can play wee passes in and around the box but never beating his man in a one on one out wide. 

Ayr at home the one meaningful contribution he’s made offensively with that brilliant ball for Gold. 

Would even give Stowe a run.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Kind of feel like that’s the way I’ve felt about Dow for most of his time here. Last season he looked quite good when he came in but I think that’s because we’d been so bad and he is a solid reliable player who will always be at least average.

Don’t feel like he gives you enough going forward considering he plays right wing, always very conservative and when he gets in good areas he delivers on the main poor balls into the box or duffs shots miles over the bar. 

Ayr at home the one meaningful contribution he’s made offensively with that brilliant ball for Gold. 

Would even give Stowe a run.

I like Dow as he’s pretty solid and is , as you say, always at least average, but I know what you mean. I thought he changed the game in our favour when he came on v QP at home but he needs to put in performances like that every time he plays. Same with Balde, really like him but there’s just something missing.

Now - if you could somehow morph Dow and Balde together and combine their best attributes then that would be some player.