Who’s on the plane?

Donathan

24 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

The squad is about as good as can be expected given the number of injuries, so no problem there. The announcement video, on the other hand, is one of the cringiest pieces of shit I've ever seen. Everyone involved should be embarrassed, and preferably, shot. The Ceefax page disappeared to the next scene before you could even read the full squad, ffs.

I still want Scotland to win the euros, but I'm marginally less enthused after witnessing that cringefest.

that fairly innoffensive yet what is a reasonably fresh take on a squad announcement made you cringe that bad? Christ, you must be double-upped with cringe a dozen times every day if that is the "cringiest piece of shit" you've ever seen. Are we talking about the same thing - the party clip with Grado and Frankie Boyle leading up the announcement via ceefax??  

I cant really think of any player that I am disappointed that he hasn't been called up, with the number at 28 there was always going to be a few question marks. Dont see the need for 4 Gks, Taylor, Jack or Forest.

We have a strong 15/16 players, the rest are all back ups and unlikely to play at all unless the 3rd game is a dead rubber.

1 minute ago, KingRocketman II said:

that fairly innoffensive yet what is a reasonably fresh take on a squad announcement made you cringe that bad? Christ, you must be double-upped with cringe a dozen times every day if that is the "cringiest piece of shit" you've ever seen. Are we talking about the same thing - the party clip with Grado and Frankie Boyle leading up the announcement via ceefax??  

It was great to see Pat Nevin on the decks, it was a fun video well put together.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

200.gif?cid=6c09b952oc0mp8rbgkiv9c37dk4c

Sorcery! Reveal your secrets!

TBF, that doesn't exactly help when the page has been received as a bunch of ASCII gobbledegook anyway.

I'm going to be honest and admit I can't remember how you did it! The only problem was when you unpaused it, it didnt necessarily go to the next page. So if you paused it on 1/6 then unpaused it, the next page could have been any of the other pages.

ETA Having googled it I'm not seeing any mention of it.  Either I dreamt it or I was on shrooms at the time.

I'm 99% certain it was a thing though.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

Posted (edited)

If Doak remains in the squad he'll be used as an impact sub .

On the topic of Gauld:

Gauld will only be eligible for Canada after the 2026 world cup. He'll be 30 by then. Which means he'll be 34 at the next one.

Edited by SlayerX

8 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I don't have an issue with a fit Ryan Jack being in the squad.  The issue is he's never fit, so I would think it will be him and A.N Other that gets binned.

I don't think Clarke picks him and then drops him if he IS fit. Unless he actually breaks down again he'll be in. His hurdle was getting to this stage.

7 minutes ago, Ampersand said:

Aye, my wording wasn't very clear. Match-sharpness/level in doubt for Hanley of course, as it is for the others you mention. I doubt Clarke would pick Doak at this point if he wasn't set on him making the final squad. Why bother with the media questions otherwise?

It just seems to me that CB is the position that looks most oversubscribed other than GK, and Hanley's the one there who hasn't had much game time. Cooper perhaps as well, but there's always talk of how influential he is.

I don't really see any issue with bringing Doak in at this point as potential cover for Armstrong and then saying he was along for the experience, his time will come, he's not quite there with his own recovery now we've had a look at him in a week. The issue then arises if that's also true of Armstrong of course.

Hanley's every bit as influential as Cooper. Suspect he may captain if on the pitch and Robertson isn't. I think he has before. Honestly think if he was considering dropping a CB it would be Souttar. However, I think he'll take them all.

Just now, SlayerX said:

On the topic of Gauld:

Gauld will only be edible for Canada after the 2026 world cup. He'll be 30 by then. Which means he'll be 34 at the next one.

What a strange country 😐

7 hours ago, SlayerX said:

It'll be the usual "British" television distant for Scotland.

Pretty much the entire day on Tuesday revolved around England's provisional squad.

Later today It'll be 15 mins of Steve Clarke giving the list, before cutting back to the Sky News studio to focus more on the England squad.

In other words "By the way, here's the Scotland squad... moving on".

50 million - 5 million....it's fair enough.

1 minute ago, kennie makevin said:

50 million - 5 million....it's fair enough.

"here Scotland, take your one tenth of coverage of anything that is important to you - proportionately you can't argue with that". 

3 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

On the topic of Gauld:

Gauld will only be eligible for Canada after the 2026 world cup. He'll be 30 by then. Which means he'll be 34 at the next one.

Oh really? That's a real pisser for him.

I did rather wonder why he hadn't made noises about switching by now.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Hanley's every bit as influential as Cooper. Suspect he may captain if on the pitch and Robertson isn't. I think he has before. Honestly think if he was considering dropping a CB it would be Souttar. However, I think he'll take them all.

Agree with your point on how influental Hanley is but McGregor then McTominay/Tierney would be next in line for captaincy behind Robertson I reckon

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

If Hickey was fit McCrorie wouldn't be there. That's obvious surely? Ralston's been in squads consistently, McCrorie hasn't. McCrorie's in that squad as a right back, not as a midfielder.

Dunno, Ralston has had a handful of starts since Christmas and 17x unused from the bench. Maybe his time in dark blue is waning a bit like SOD after the Euro's. McCrorie is at least putting numbers down.

It’s absolutely insane the amount of folk moaning about this squad. 

Ever since Clarke came in, the reason behind our success has been his ability to foster a club-like atmosphere around the team. He probably has a bank of about 30 players he knows can come in to the team and give him exactly what he expects of them. Knows that they can handle the pressure of the jersey, get on with the rest of the squad etc etc. That’s called trust. Trust is needed at a major tournament.

It would be fucking mental to reinvent the wheel and call up 4 or 5 boys, who he doesn’t trust, to the squad in the midst of an “injury crisis” (1 starter and 2 young lads normally on the bench, lol) just because they’ve had a decent season.

Ryan Jack is the prime example. I was his biggest cheerleader for Scotland whilst he was at his prime at Rangers. He’s obviously had his injury troubles over the past few years, but he clearly adds value to the team in terms of his dogged personality and the qualities Clarke believes he possesses. That is why he is in the squad, and will continue to be until he breaks down. 

36 minutes ago, Butters Scotch said:

We have seven CB's (including KT) though. So six to compete for two places essentially as KT will be gauranteed to start at LCB, is that really necessary? 

You would think out of the 26 to lose their spots, Kelly will be a cert. A Doak/Forrest would be most at risk but i'm hoping it will either Souttar or Cooper.

I know what you mean re the centre backs, but I’d be pleasantly surprised if KT can manage 3x 90 mins in the space of a week so not overly surprised we’ve gone heavy on the numbers there. Especially with Hanley, Cooper and Soutter all having missed chunks of games recently.

Kelly and one of Doak, Armstrong(fitness) or Forrest  to drop out. 

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

McGregor would be the next in line as captain I think.

1 minute ago, CM. said:

Agree with your point on how influental Hanley is but McGregor then McTominay/Tierney would be next in line for captaincy behind Robertson I reckon

You may be both correct about McGregor to be fair but history suggests McGinn would certainly be ahead of McTominay and possibly ahead of all of them.

I honestly thought Hanley had taken over as captain on the pitch at some point but I can't find any evidence of it so I may have made it up! It would have been a while ago, not recently. He certainly hasn't started as captain at any point. McGinn has though, 9 times. McGregor and McTominay once each.

41 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

The squad is about as good as can be expected given the number of injuries, so no problem there. The announcement video, on the other hand, is one of the cringiest pieces of shit I've ever seen. Everyone involved should be embarrassed, and preferably, shot. The Ceefax page disappeared to the next scene before you could even read the full squad, ffs.

I still want Scotland to win the euros, but I'm marginally less enthused after witnessing that cringefest.

Could have done with an advert for the Club Call number to fill in the details imo 

1 minute ago, Matty-RCFC said:

It’s absolutely insane the amount of folk moaning about this squad. 

Ever since Clarke came in, the reason behind our success has been his ability to foster a club-like atmosphere around the team. He probably has a bank of about 30 players he knows can come in to the team and give him exactly what he expects of them. Knows that they can handle the pressure of the jersey, get on with the rest of the squad etc etc. That’s called trust. Trust is needed at a major tournament.

It would be fucking mental to reinvent the wheel and call up 4 or 5 boys, who he doesn’t trust, to the squad in the midst of an “injury crisis” (1 starter and 2 young lads normally on the bench, lol) just because they’ve had a decent season.

Ryan Jack is the prime example. I was his biggest cheerleader for Scotland whilst he was at his prime at Rangers. He’s obviously had his injury troubles over the past few years, but he clearly adds value to the team in terms of his dogged personality and the qualities Clarke believes he possesses. That is why he is in the squad, and will continue to be until he breaks down. 

I see where you are coming from but what is the point in bringing in Kelly to a provisional squad?