Sliding door moments

Steve Lomas expected Tommy Wright to join him at Millwall.

He stayed in Perth and worked wonders even laying the foundations for Callum Davidson to do the cup double. 

In fact he more than layed the foundations, he built the whole thing.

Baws. 

Thought this was in the General Nonsense section!

Football-related, Falkirk have so, so many. So many chancers who came and messed everything up. So many pisspoor appointments. 

But the big one is probably when Falkirk appointed John Prentice as manager in 1973. The other candidate/possibility was Alex Ferguson, who was a player/coach at the club at the time. 

Some come to mind:

David Syme gaves Dunfermline a dodgy penalty outside the box against Airdriedonians in the Skol Cup semi-final in 1991. If he hadn't a scrapping Airdrie team might well have beaten Hibs in the Final and the post Wallace Mercer take over gloom at Easter Road continued...

talking of which Wallet Mercenary succeeds in taking over Hibs. Quite a lot of disgruntled Hibs fans suddenly become Meadowbank Thistle fans, the teams fortunes improve as they become the second team in Edinburgh. They are an established First Division club at the time, Terry Christie remains in charge and with new funds and sponsors coming in steers the team into the Premier Division. There is no Blobby Hunter or franchising, Meadowbank Stadium is now a decent football ground instead of a subbutteo effort and years later the Lowland League is formed and the proper and original new town team, Livingston United, are the equivalent of East Kilbride FC.

In 1987 Forfar Athletic get awarded the last minute penalty they should have had at Tannadice in the Quarter Finals of the Scottish Cup so there is no replay. Dundee beat Forfar at Hampden in the Semi Final and Keith Wright and Tommy Coyne seal a first Scottish Cup win for 77 years for the Dees over Saint Mirren. This means Alex "Ehhh" Smith does not eventually get the Aberdeen job  but Jocky does and leads them to a title with the Dutch signings. Meanwhile a disappointed to go out the Scottish Cup but as a result less knackered Dundee United team win the UEFA Cup.  

Edited by tamthebam
spelling

Covid season is called a week later with Falkirk having won against Montrose at home and Rovers having lost up at Peterhead. Two points clear, Ray McKinnon’s Falkirk return to the Championship at the first time of asking then proceed to sign David Goodwillie while Raith Rovers turn part time…

Edited by Enigma

On 17/10/2023 at 17:46, coprolite said:

Super swally taking out Snelders was a sliding hoor moment that subtly altered our upward trajectory onto the path towards a downward spiral.

On the plus side, it helped encourage the dark side to unsustainably spend their way to their eventual demise, overseen by said cheating c**t. It was no consolation really, but it was funny. 

Was thinking that that was a sliding whore moment as well.

On 18/10/2023 at 11:11, The Saintee said:

Steve Lomas expected Tommy Wright to join him at Millwall.

He stayed in Perth and worked wonders even laying the foundations for Callum Davidson to do the cup double. 

In fact he more than layed the foundations, he built the whole thing.

So basically if Steve Lomas didn’t allegedly allegedly allegedly then St Johnston wouldn’t have won the double? 

3 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

We may still have 0 trophies instead of 3.

Obviously this topic was totally pie-in-the-sky and it was just to get a bit of a discussion going but when you look at it like that with St Johnstone it is a bit mental. It would only have taken TW moving on at that stage to destroy all that success over the last 10 years.

Of course if you are going into utter fantasy like I was with my OP then you could always do the flip side and say “what if Lomas and Wright left and Guardiola took the job and won everything”. There’s nothing to say that a different manager than Tommy Wright wouldn’t have taken you to similar or greater success but it’s very unlikely that all the pieces would fall together like that.

Potentially another big one that changed Scottish football would’ve been when Rangers lost the CL qualifier at the start of the Craig Whyte season. I’m sure Rangers were fucked anyway either that season or one coming soon ( @AJF @bennett ? ) however who is to say that the European money made might not have been enough to change what came next.

31 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Potentially another big one that changed Scottish football would’ve been when Rangers lost the CL qualifier at the start of the Craig Whyte season. I’m sure Rangers were fucked anyway either that season or one coming soon ( @AJF @bennett ? ) however who is to say that the European money made might not have been enough to change what came next.

I reckon it might’ve just prolonged the inevitable. Although it may have meant that we could’ve paid off the “wee tax case” and in turn might’ve helped when trying to agree a CVA for the “big tax case”, but purely guesswork. 

25 minutes ago, AJF said:

I reckon it might’ve just prolonged the inevitable. Although it may have meant that we could’ve paid off the “wee tax case” and in turn might’ve helped when trying to agree a CVA for the “big tax case”, but purely guesswork. 

It wasn't even the wee case that did it, it was just not paying VAT. 

I suspect a pre pack arrangement was the plan but HMRC and SARS conspired, unwittingly, to foil it. 

7 minutes ago, coprolite said:

It wasn't even the wee case that did it, it was just not paying VAT. 

I suspect a pre pack arrangement was the plan but HMRC and SARS conspired, unwittingly, to foil it. 

Aye, I may be conflating the two (wee tax case and the VAT).