Sliding door moments

36 minutes ago, AJF said:

Aye, I may be conflating the two (wee tax case and the VAT).

I wasn’t trying to be pedantic, really.  My point, which I don’t think I made clear, was that I don’t think the plan was to keep the club solvent so any Euro money would have been blown on expensive transfers or something. Only a theory.

On 17/10/2023 at 17:48, ATLIS said:

Bit of a weird one but playoff semi-final against Stranraer to stay in the Championship. We lose the first leg, away, 5-2 in an utter collapse.  Miraculously goals in the 89th and then 94th minute see us take the tie to extra time with a 4-1 home win (6-6 agg). We then collapse again conceding twice in extra time to lose 6-8 on aggregate.

We go into the next season as a League 1 side, debating about staying full time or going part time, debating whether or not to keep Hopkin on (not that finances allow us to get anyone else in) and with new names coming into the club at board level. This becomes the beginning of a long standing court case with Ged Nixon also which hangs over the club. 

We decide to knuckle down, stay full time, keep Hopkin on with Martindale as assistant and go on to romp the league. We use that momentum and togetherness to finish 2nd in the Championship the season after and go up. Back to back promotions. It launches probably the most prosperous time in the club's history, our longest top flight stay, multiple top 6 finishes, a cup final, wiping of the club's debts and eventually new owners that have now stepped in and are willing to support the club financially. 

I seriously don't think any of that happens if we don't collapse, twice, against Stranraer. At the time I was raging about how badly we could throw it away twice. Without that we're probably a middling Championship club and at worst a Falkirk level seaside league team. 

You're welcome 💙

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

I wasn’t trying to be pedantic, really.  My point, which I don’t think I made clear, was that I don’t think the plan was to keep the club solvent so any Euro money would have been blown on expensive transfers or something. Only a theory.

aye, I never thought you were, but when you mentioned it I do think I was confusing the two issues.

Daniel Van Buyten doesn't score a last minute equaliser for Belgium v Scotland in 2001. We go to the World Cup in 2002, still get pumped, but Broon stays on and we don't have the Berti Vogts era of competition winners for the next 4 years.

If Larsson hadn’t broken his leg in Lyon then John barnes wouldn’t have been sacked by Celtic, think he had something like 12 wins and 1 loss to that point? Super Caley wouldn’t have happened and we wouldn’t have got Martin O’Neil in. 

Henrik, the gift that keeps in giving. 

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Daniel Van Buyten doesn't score a last minute equaliser for Belgium v Scotland in 2001. We go to the World Cup in 2002, still get pumped, but Broon stays on and we don't have the Berti Vogts era of competition winners for the next 4 years.

Along the same vein, it's the Italy game in 2007 for me. I know we got lucky with our goal, which was clearly offside, but sitting at 1-1 in that second half we were battering them. McFadden misses a good chance, and also decides to shoot instead of laying it on a plate across the six yard box.

We win that game we qualify. I often say that we never really recovered from that defeat, but on reflection it probably just extended the hangover from the Belgium draw in 2001.

On 19/10/2023 at 19:24, Sortmeout said:

Potentially another big one that changed Scottish football would’ve been when Rangers lost the CL qualifier at the start of the Craig Whyte season. I’m sure Rangers were fucked anyway either that season or one coming soon ( @AJF @bennett ? ) however who is to say that the European money made might not have been enough to change what came next.

Linas Pilibaitis hilariously scoring the winner.

Equally amusing to many is the obvious Hearts sliding doors moment at Dens.

If Liverpool’s Hungarian goalkeeper Adam Bogdan hadn’t blundered and let in a late FA Cup equaliser at Exeter, Aberdeen would have been league champions in season 2015/16 (despite us having a slightly inferior side to the one we had in 16/17).

On 20/10/2023 at 09:51, velo army said:

On 20/10/2023 at 11:53, mozam76 said:

Along the same vein, it's the Italy game in 2007 for me. I know we got lucky with our goal, which was clearly offside, but sitting at 1-1 in that second half we were battering them. McFadden misses a good chance, and also decides to shoot instead of laying it on a plate across the six yard box.

We win that game we qualify. I often say that we never really recovered from that defeat, but on reflection it probably just extended the hangover from the Belgium draw in 2001.

The peak Nedved Czechs would most likely have beaten us in the playoff in 01 (Belgium edged past them).  Broon had had a good run.

Losing away to Georgia in 2007 who fielded a 17 year old goalie and a 16 year old centre mid was the big "what if" moment. If we had picked up 3 points the Italy game wouldn't have mattered and we wouldn't have had such a long run of failure.

On 19/10/2023 at 13:40, Sortmeout said:

So basically if Steve Lomas didn’t allegedly allegedly allegedly then St Johnston wouldn’t have won the double? 

If Lomas had stayed he, allegedly, wanted Stevie May to go back out on loan instead of playing for us. So theres every chance we'd have missed out on his 27 goals that season, and chat was he'd have left us in search of a club who'd actually play him.

A chance Richard Brittain joins too, instead of renegading on his PCA, and we sign him instead of David Wotherspoon. 

And Michael O'Halloran probably doesnt sign in January either. 

So theres 3 players who played a part in all 3 trophies who arent at the club.

6 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

The peak Nedved Czechs would most likely have beaten us in the playoff in 01 (Belgium edged past them).  Broon had had a good run.

Losing away to Georgia in 2007 who fielded a 17 year old goalie and a 16 year old centre mid was the big "what if" moment. If we had picked up 3 points the Italy game wouldn't have mattered and we wouldn't have had such a long run of failure.

Both of these points rely on every single other subsequent result also going the same way - ie you've just given us the extra points for those games and nothing else.

With the 2002 qualifying, we had started that group extremely well - wins in Latvia and San Marino then a draw away to Croatia. Had we moved on to 10 points from the first four games, we may well have had the momentum to take it forward and actually win the group. We only finished 3 points behind Croatia, who won the group, and that was despite a 0-0 draw with them at Hampden. We might also have been more likely to try to play for a draw in Brussels in the penultimate game, rather than having to chase the win.

With the 2008 group, even a win over Georgia would have left us needing a draw against Italy to qualify, otherwise we'd have been relying on the final group games going our way in the midweek where we weren't playing. Maybe we'd have drawn with Italy at Hampden, but if they'd come needing a win it might not have worked that way. Had we lost that one, France could have still finished ahead of us with a win away to Ukraine - the match actually finished 2-2, but it might have been a different story had they needed a win rather than it being a dead rubber for both teams.

33 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

With the 2002 qualifying, we had started that group extremely well - wins in Latvia and San Marino then a draw away to Croatia. Had we moved on to 10 points from the first four games, we may well have had the momentum to take it forward and actually win the group. We only finished 3 points behind Croatia, who won the group, and that was despite a 0-0 draw with them at Hampden. We might also have been more likely to try to play for a draw in Brussels in the penultimate game, rather than having to chase the win.

To be fair, the way Scotland played in Belgium didn't resemble chasing anything. Brown's teams weren't really set up to do that.

It was a famously inurgent showing from a team needing to win, and I don't think us playing for the draw would have looked any different. Funny to think how at the time that was seen as a horror show. If only we knew what was to come.

Losing that lead at Hampden was absolutely shocking though. Proper feeling of everything going wrong.

13 minutes ago, DoingThe42 said:

To be fair, the way Scotland played in Belgium didn't resemble chasing anything. Brown's teams weren't really set up to do that.

It was a famously inurgent showing from a team needing to win, and I don't think us playing for the draw would have looked any different. Funny to think how at the time that was seen as a horror show. If only we knew what was to come.

Losing that lead at Hampden was absolutely shocking though. Proper feeling of everything going wrong.

I was at that game. I'm sure Tom Boyd was playing as a wing back at the age of 37.

9 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

Didn't realise that Belgium only went to the playoff. 

And Christ I'd forgotten that Georgia game. Never felt so angry after a game in my life. Horrible.