March and June friendlies

Donathan

On 22/05/2024 at 09:43, Smokerson said:

Clarke has used Adams and Dykes reasonably effectively , tends to be Dykes when we're up against it and we want that option to go a bit more direct and he can wrestle and rough up defenders and Adams when we have more of the ball and look to link the front a bit more and slide him in down the sides. Shankland as good as he has been looks like a back up, unless he can bang a few goals in the friendlies. I dont see these three being shunned to the side so we can try mctominay as a false 9.

I know it’s been discussed before, using McTominay up front, but if Dykes is to miss out I would love to see McTominay played up front in either of these friendlies. 

58 minutes ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

I know it’s been discussed before, using McTominay up front, but if Dykes is to miss out I would love to see McTominay played up front in either of these friendlies. 

As would I. As a false 9.

Manchester United have played with two false 9s for three matches. Won all three.

3-4-1-2 (2 being false 9s) would get my vote.

1 minute ago, SlayerX said:

As would I. As a false 9.

Manchester United have played with two false 9s for three matches. Won all three.

3-4-1-2 (2 being false 9s) would get my vote.

Agreed. As a release when we are under pressure he has the physicality and control to be able to hold the ball up and spread passes about as the midfield surges up the park. We would obviously lose his presence further back but I think we are going to need some plan b’s and think this is worth exploring before the tournament.

21 minutes ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

Agreed. As a release when we are under pressure he has the physicality and control to be able to hold the ball up and spread passes about as the midfield surges up the park. We would obviously lose his presence further back but I think we are going to need some plan b’s and think this is worth exploring before the tournament.

Definitely.

Particularly against Germany where we will need to flood the midfield. If we don't then Kroos will destroy us.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

McTominay is better bursting forward than he is with his back to goal

It was Fernandes that played as a false 9 in the cup final

He can’t play for Scotland, he’s Finnish.

i do agree, McTominay arriving late in the box worked immensely in the qualifiers but it’s a decent plan b to play him up front.

Edited by shizzlemanizzle

Mctominay doesn't have that strikers instinct, it was prevalent when he was playing further forward for Man Utd recently, you're dreaming if you think  Clarke is now gonna start playing him as a CF. He'll either play Adams or Shankland there all three games or more 

5 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

McTominay is better bursting forward than he is with his back to goal

It was Fernandes that played as a false 9 in the cup final

I dont see him as a false 9 tbh more of a traditional no 9 if he was going to do it. Weve not seen him play that role so of course there is more evidence he can score from midfield.

2 hours ago, Butters Scotch said:

Mctominay doesn't have that strikers instinct, it was prevalent when he was playing further forward for Man Utd recently, you're dreaming if you think  Clarke is now gonna start playing him as a CF. He'll either play Adams or Shankland there all three games or more 

I think you probably right its very unlikely. But it was also unlikely for him to be at centre back a while ago.

13 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

I dont see him as a false 9 tbh more of a traditional no 9 if he was going to do it. Weve not seen him play that role so of course there is more evidence he can score from midfield.

I think you probably right its very unlikely. But it was also unlikely for him to be at centre back a while ago.

I was hoping to see him upfront out of pure desperation more than anything but watching him against Newcastle, he just looked a bit lost as the CF in my opinion. He didn't quite time his runs well or anticipate the ball coming into the box, wasn't quite sure how to play with his back against goal, you could see he wasn't used to playing that position. 

3 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

Why not?

See below.

On 26/05/2024 at 10:43, craigkillie said:

McTominay playing at centre-forward would not be a false nine, he would be a midfielder playing as a traditional nine. A false nine is when you pick a ball playing attacking midfielder as a nominal centre-forward but then they play most of the game in a deeper area and create space for wide attackers or runners from the middle.

If we put Stuart Armstrong or Ryan Christie there then they might be a false nine, but even that would be pushing it.

Would like to see the minute splits over the two games be about:

GK: Gunn (180), Gordon, Clark, Kelly (All 0)

RWB: Ralston (120), McCrorie (60)

RCB: Porteous (120), Souttar (60)

CCB: Hanley (60), Hendry (60), McKenna (30)

LCB: Cooper (90), Tierney (60), McKenna (30)

LWB: Taylor (90), Robertson (60), Tierney (30)

RCM: Gilmour (120), McLean (60)

LCM: Jack (120), McGregor (60)

CAM: Armstrong (30)

RW: Forrest (120), Christie (60)

CF: Shankland (60), Adams (60), McTominay (60)

LW: Armstrong (60), Doak (60), McGinn (60)

Ive got CCB only adding to 150 as id play 4-2-3-1 for the second half against Finland 

Posted (edited)
On 02/06/2024 at 18:49, JS_FFC said:

Would like to see the minute splits over the two games be about:

GK: Gunn (180), Gordon, Clark, Kelly (All 0)

RWB: Ralston (120), McCrorie (60)

RCB: Porteous (120), Souttar (60)

CCB: Hanley (60), Hendry (60), McKenna (30)

LCB: Cooper (90), Tierney (60), McKenna (30)

LWB: Taylor (90), Robertson (60), Tierney (30)

RCM: Gilmour (120), McLean (60)

LCM: Jack (120), McGregor (60)

CAM: Armstrong (30)

RW: Forrest (120), Christie (60)

CF: Shankland (60), Adams (60), McTominay (60)

LW: Armstrong (60), Doak (60), McGinn (60)

Ive got CCB only adding to 150 as id play 4-2-3-1 for the second half against Finland 

Fancied checking in on this after tonights game. So far we have (without injury time included)

Clark 90
McCrorie 90
Porteous 90
Christie 90
McGinn 90
Shankland 90
Gilmour 73
McLean 73
Robertson 66
Forrest 66
Hanley 45
Cooper 32
Tierney 24
Adams 24
Jack 17
McGregor 17
McKenna 13

Of the ones who got the full game tonight, I expect, IMO, our strongest available line up on Friday so Porteous and McGinn starting again on but come off at some point. Probably Christie starting again too if McTominay doesn't make it.

Gunn
Porteous Hendry Tierney
Ralston Gilmour McGregor Robertson
McTominay/Christie McGinn
Adams

Edited by CM.

I think if all people are fit

Clarke will start this team

Gunn

Porteous Hendry, Tierney

Ralston, Gilmour, McGregor, Robertson

McGinn, McTominay