November games

Donathan

Two wins needed to secure pot 2.

4 points might be enough if the game we win is by a few goals.

I wonder if we might go with a smaller squad given the reports about the smaller squads for the finals.

Goalkeepers - Gunn, Kelly, Clark

Defenders - Porteous, Hendry, Cooper, McKenna, Hickey, Patterson, Taylor, Souttar

Midfielders - McTominay, Gilmour, McGregor, McGinn, Ferguson, Jack, McLean, Armstrong

Forwards - Dykes, Adams, Christie, Brown

Line up wise I’d be tempted by a 4-2-3-1 for these games. With Robertson and Tierney out there’s no need to play a system that accommodates them both, and we’d be expecting to see a decent amount of the ball in these games so I think we can sacrifice one of the defenders in favour of a midfielder.

Gunn

Patterson-Porteous-Hendry-Hickey

Gilmour-McGregor

Christie-McTominay-McGinn

Adams

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

I wonder if we might go with a smaller squad given the reports about the smaller squads for the finals.

I don't see a reason why we would, just for practice? 😂

There are a few reasons to carry 24, 25 or 26 players such as looking at alternative options ahead of the tournament or continuing to show a pathway is open for our young players or just for the double header on its own merits because there isn't a limit.

Clarke might be efficient in choosing his squads, but I think they're based on need over numbers tbh.

Edited by 2426255

I reckon we're due at least one absolute blowout victory before this campaign is over and the Georgia game seems like a good candidate. I'm thinking 4-0 at HT and a cheeky two or three more in the second half as we let all the subs get a run around and bury the spectre of Georgia (A) once and for all. 

(Followed by a torturous 1-0 win against Norway to cap it all off).

Edited by Kevin Finnerty

4 hours ago, Kevin Finnerty said:

I reckon we're due at least one absolute blowout victory before this campaign is over and the Georgia game seems like a good candidate. I'm thinking 4-0 at HT and a cheeky two or three more in the second half as we let all the subs get a run around and bury the spectre of Georgia (A) once and for all. 

(Followed by a torturous 1-0 win against Norway to cap it all off).

I’ve been convinced for 2-3 years that we’re due giving someone a pasting.  We create a fair amount of chances, but often our final ball or finishing is lacking.  A more clinical outfit would have run up a score on Cyprus (A), Armenia (H), and Moldova (H).

It just takes someone to have a hot streak, and the ball to drop a couple of times and we could do some serious damage.  If we had a Lewandowski/Kane level striker having started at the same time Dykes did, he’d be on 25+ goals at this point.

The last time we seriously ‘over-performed’ in a game was Malta away.  I’d love to see that again.

11 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

I’ve been convinced for 2-3 years that we’re due giving someone a pasting.  We create a fair amount of chances, but often our final ball or finishing is lacking.  A more clinical outfit would have run up a score on Cyprus (A), Armenia (H), and Moldova (H).

It just takes someone to have a hot streak, and the ball to drop a couple of times and we could do some serious damage.  If we had a Lewandowski/Kane level striker having started at the same time Dykes did, he’d be on 25+ goals at this point.

The last time we seriously ‘over-performed’ in a game was Malta away.  I’d love to see that again.

Scotland don't attempt to run up a cricket score and prefer to manage the game out after we put it beyond an opponent. 

Steve Clarke knows when a game is done, how he manages games is efficient. It was clear against Armenia (h) and Cyprus (a) that Scotland weren't chasing additional goals after half-time. Clarke respects when it happens the other way: England and France 'killed the game' when they scored against us to make it 3-1. Clarke recognised that, mentioning it in his post-match interviews of those games and how that changed the dynamic. 

The primary objective is just to win the two games, match Spain's points tally and build momentum - but if we put the result beyond doubt we might chase a high score given our goal-difference situation. Even if we scored ten goals in the next two matches that's still unlikely to be enough given Spain's upcoming fixtures so I really wouldn't focus on that. It hasn't been mentioned directly, but that's how I've interpreted it given the discussion has moved to us being due a 'blowout victory' during a camp where first place might be decided on goal difference.

I'd like to see us stick McSauce up top in these games, with Ferguson coming in from the start.

Dykes has done a solid for Scotland, but we shouldn't be sentimental here (i.e. sticking with Marshall instead of Gordon at the last tournament). Adams missed a sitter which should have got us a point in Spain. McTominay has shown himself to be a fucking goal machine, on top of the physical attributes he provides. I really hope this is something we consider.

Frankly, it's also just getting increasingly harder to justify Ferguson not starting matches. We have shoehorned Robertson and Tierney into an excellent system that works for us. I believe doing similar in this regard would strengthen us further.

8 hours ago, Elixir said:

I'd like to see us stick McSauce up top in these games, with Ferguson coming in from the start.

Dykes has done a solid for Scotland, but we shouldn't be sentimental here (i.e. sticking with Marshall instead of Gordon at the last tournament). Adams missed a sitter which should have got us a point in Spain. McTominay has shown himself to be a fucking goal machine, on top of the physical attributes he provides. I really hope this is something we consider.

Frankly, it's also just getting increasingly harder to justify Ferguson not starting matches. We have shoehorned Robertson and Tierney into an excellent system that works for us. I believe doing similar in this regard would strengthen us further.

Tbh I had never considered that, but now that you say it it could be a good shout. Id agree hes got the ability to do it and the physical side🤔 what a turn around that would be for him eh.

The fact his goals have come from deep is fairly obvious, hes been playing midfield 🤣 if they had been coming from being the focal point of an attack. Then he would have been the striker already🤣

12 hours ago, craigkillie said:

McTominay's goals have almost all been coming from deep, you can't come from deep if you're playing centre-forward and don't have Dykes or Adams occupying the defenders for you.

Agreed. Dykes or Adams are not always, but regularly used as a decoy while Scott McTominay, John McGinn or whoever else are the target. When people say a player does a job for the team or is an unsung hero this is what they mean. A significant percentage of our goals have until now been scored via this mechanism - Gilmour's goal against France being the latest example where there is zero intention to try to find Che Adams with a cross or pass.

The worst case scenario to deploying Scott McTominay as a striker would be him scoring less goals for Scotland because he's taking on the role of Adams or Dykes as the distraction for someone else (Ferguson) who also might not perform the McTominay/McGinn role as effectively. The best case scenario would play out where McTominay is more productive than Dykes/Adams and there isn't any drop off with someone else (Ferguson) taking on McTominay's role. Perhaps having him as a decoy might be a good strategy if other teams begin to develop ways to stop that specific attacking strategy of midfielders timing runs late into the box.

For now? I'd stick with it a bit longer until it stops working because I think you'll end up losing more than you gain. That said - It's an idea worth considering and I wouldn't be against seeing it tried out in a friendly match, not in the November games though personally speaking. 

Edited by 2426255

16 hours ago, Elixir said:

Dykes might not be breaking any goal scoring records but what he does do is pin two defenders to free up McGinn and McTominay to run from deep. Watch McLean's goal against Norway but focus on Dykes movement and what he does to the Norway defence. He pins two defenders which allows McGinnto get on the ball and McLean to run from deep. Putting McTominay upfront might not have that same impact. 

5 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

It is only relatively recently we have stopped seeing him play right centre back 

and now you want to play him as a " forward "

( Have Bologna not tried that with Lewis ? )

Well it wasn't my idea, but yeah I dont think its a bad shout tbh. Were stacked with midfield options. Hes apparently played there as a younger player, I think its unlikely to happen tho tbh

1 hour ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Hes apparently played there as a younger player, I think its unlikely to happen tho tbh

3 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I'm guessing it's not an attempt at a wind up.

54 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I'm guessing it's not an attempt at a wind up.

No, I hadnt read the other thread.

I was going with the story everyone believed that he used to be a forward player.

Tbf I always thought is was more of an attacking midfielder. I remember it being mentioned a few times when he was breaking thru under mourinho that he used to be a forward player. Perhaps that was just the same false info🤣