November games

Donathan

I'd be fine with Liam Kelly probably just in the short term. Not perfect, but I liked his game against France - particularly with the ball at his feet and he'd be my preference if Angus Gunn is unavailable.

Zander Clark I'm a little less convinced by personally, but willing to give him a chance if that's what's decided and probably David Marshall would be below those two - I wouldn't really be in favour of bringing Marshall back. I wouldn't have an issue particularly with Robbie McCrorie getting a chance for the reasons @accies1874 gave, but with him not playing really any minutes this season I doubt that's going to happen in the upcoming two games.

How they play for Scotland is the most important thing. We have seen relatively average players (e.g O'Donnell, Ralston) can raise their levels for the National team for a short period even if they aren't able to maintain that level consistently over a longer period.

Edited by 2426255

30 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

All three have had so many howling moments over the last season. Kelly had numerous horror moments before Kettlewell came in last year and did again at the weekend. I remember a Clarke clusterfuck against Killie last year too. 

I honestly don’t know which one I would prefer to play, but it might be Marshall just because there is less chance he would absolutely bottle it and we know he should be fully concentrated for an international game. Saying that - Hibs fans have a far better idea than me just what level he actually is at now. 

It’s probably more the age thing at play for me rather than ability, as there’s probably not much between them, although I’m maybe placing too much importance on it. We’ll have Clark and Kelly available to us for a lot longer than Marshall so feel it’s better to use them for these games, rather than bring Marshall back for two and then never see him again. 

I might be a bit off on his exact wording but I remember part of Marshall's reasons for retiring was he didn't want to be the one standing in the way of the younger keepers getting their opportunity. If that's the case even if he was the best player on merit which is debatable anyway I can't see him agreeing to come back for these 2 games, especially when we've already qualified. 

12 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

It’s probably more the age thing at play for me rather than ability, as there’s probably not much between them, although I’m maybe placing too much importance on it. We’ll have Clark and Kelly available to us for a lot longer than Marshall so feel it’s better to use them for these games, rather than bring Marshall back for two and then never see him again. 

Yeah, I know what you mean - but only in a nightmare scenario will we need Clarke or Kelly to play anything more than the odd game. 

8 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

I might be a bit off on his exact wording but I remember part of Marshall's reasons for retiring was he didn't want to be the one standing in the way of the younger keepers getting their opportunity. If that's the case even if he was the best player on merit which is debatable anyway I can't see him agreeing to come back for these 2 games, especially when we've already qualified. 

He isn’t standing in the way of anyone though really, as they are utterly pish. Fair enough if there was someone there with actual potential. 

Clark isn't brilliant, but I think he's comfortably the best of our options for this game. Marshall is worse than the two other SPFL keepers who played against France, there's no point in picking him now.

Edited by craigkillie

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Clark isn't brilliant, but I think he's comfortably the best of our options for this game. Marshall is worse than the two other SPFL keepers who played against France, there's no point in picking him now.

Agree with this. Kelly has been an absolute bomb scare for us (Motherwell) recently, probably to the extent that he’s needing a period out of the first team. So, seeing him lining up for Scotland would be the worst of a load of not very good options.

Clark isn’t great I agree but at least has a little bit more presence than Kelly, although it’s marginal.  

2 hours ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

Josh Doig in the u -21 squad ( at present )

I would be quite surprised if he's not named in the main squad whenever that comes out (I assumed today, but presumably tomorrow now?) - I'm struggling to think of any other plausible alternatives in that LB/LWB position given that our first three are all out. Guys like Kingsley have been briefly involved before, but he's mostly played as a centre-back for Hearts recently and I don't really see the point in calling him up ahead of a promising youngster like Doig anyway.

Ralston played about five minutes at LWB on his Scotland debut and McGinn, McGregor and McLean have covered at LB for their clubs, so Clarke may well just decide to have a regular squad member cover there if Taylor gets injured during one of the games. Seems a bit of a hassle when there's already a promising player familiar with the position, but I find it hard to guess what Clarke will do sometimes. 

9 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Ralston played about five minutes at LWB on his Scotland debut and McGinn, McGregor and McLean have covered at LB for their clubs, so Clarke may well just decide to have a regular squad member cover there if Taylor gets injured during one of the games. Seems a bit of a hassle when there's already a promising player familiar with the position, but I find it hard to guess what Clarke will do sometimes. 

Yes , I was remembering Considine , Gallagher and Hanlon seemingly called up out of nowhere.

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I don't think it's that important either way, sort of similar to if the Euro 2024 squad sizes get reduced to 23 instead of 26, It's just a question over squad cover. I think a combination of Taylor, Ralston and Patterson and the midfield players suggested would be sufficient to cover us for the game in Georgia and if need be when we're back in Glasgow we could potentially call some one up for the home game against Norway. 

On the other hand we have, including Tierney, always called up at least four players capable of playing as a full back as their primary position on initial squad announcements so it would be a first in that respect if we don't tomorrow.

image.png.838351be5de4b8346d01c4de037f4fff.png

In terms of the  u-21's, they're in Belgium, but play their first game the day after the senior team on the 17-Nov so maybe it would be easy enough to call one of those players up if an injury situation develops. Clarke also recently stated (in reference to Ben Doak) that he recognizes the importance of younger players getting minutes for the u-21's and so my interpretation from that is if they're called up it's for a good reason rather than just dragging them around Europe to sit on the bench or not be in the MD squad. 

I'm a great believer that young players need minutes on the pitch. He'll get that with the Under-21s where he's already played above his age grade. It'll be good experience for him.

Steve Clarke

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/scotland-squad-announcement-live-steve-31099790

Edited by 2426255

19 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I would be quite surprised if he's not named in the main squad whenever that comes out (I assumed today, but presumably tomorrow now?) - I'm struggling to think of any other plausible alternatives in that LB/LWB position given that our first three are all out. Guys like Kingsley have been briefly involved before, but he's mostly played as a centre-back for Hearts recently and I don't really see the point in calling him up ahead of a promising youngster like Doig anyway.

And Doig is indeed in.