November games

Donathan

Scotland have previously called up four recognized CB's twice under Clarke (post Covid-19): In Mar-22 (Poland/Austria) and Sep-20 (Israel/Czech Republic). We played a back-3 in those games, but McTominay was used as a centre-back. There is probably enough flexibility to cover 3atb with four CB's + McTominay for Georgia, so maybe we'll just do that and re-assess prior to Norway. Porteous and Hendry are a booking away from a suspension.

We might use a back-4 for this camp, but there's not anything to suggest yet. When we used a back-4 in Sep-22 we had more than four recognized CB's in the squad. Robertson and Tierney aren't involved so that is the main basis for that suggestion and to be honest I could see that happening more than putting McTominay back in defence.

image.thumb.png.a9ae000041bed75a7f4ffe58a869b831.png

Edited by 2426255

I can see the argument for trying a few more players out, but there's a window in March in which we can do that if there is anyone Clarke is seriously considering for the euros squad. 

I would probably have liked another keeper who actually plays games in ahead of McCrorie, but ultimately it's going to be Kelly or Clark in goals so that third choice goalie berth isn't worth being bothered by. 

Still enough there to win both games.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

McCrorie should be ahead of Kelly regardless of how many games he's playing at club level. If McCrorie was at Motherwell he'd have been in the team a long time ago.

Doesn't appear to be the way Steve Clarke sees it. 

It would be good if McCrorie did go somewhere and get some game time. Might actually get an idea of how good he is, or is not. 

Robby McCrorie is 25 and ive still no idea how good he is.

He needs to grow some bollocks and leave Rangers bench before he throws his career away.

1 hour ago, AndyDD said:

I can see the argument for trying a few more players out, but there's a window in March in which we can do that if there is anyone Clarke is seriously considering for the euros squad. 

I would probably have liked another keeper who actually plays games in ahead of McCrorie, but ultimately it's going to be Kelly or Clark in goals so that third choice goalie berth isn't worth being bothered by. 

I'd hope that the March squad will be almost the exact squad he hopes to take, otherwise you're looking at this being the last time that the squad are together until they meet up in Germany

52 minutes ago, AndrewFFC said:

I'd hope that the March squad will be almost the exact squad he hopes to take, otherwise you're looking at this being the last time that the squad are together until they meet up in Germany

Not sure that's overly important or needs to be a focus.

We could have injuries in March or June for that matter. The whole idea of having a core group means that there is a majority that know the general routine and probably a high % that were at Euro 2020 so consistency of selection is built in. There will be a pre-camp before the tournament to help acclimatise new members.

I think it could be worthwhile still to look at additional options in March.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, AndrewFFC said:

Maybe, but like last time they'll have pre-tournament friendlies with the exact group that goes to the euros.

The march window, unlike this one, isn't competitive games, has no bearing on potential seeding for the euros etc. If you had to pick one which is best suited to checking out any prospective additions to the euros squad, that looks the best bet. Assuming, of course, that Clarke is considering anyone else for the tournament squad proper.

Edited by AndyDD
clarifying seeding as being for euros pots

3 hours ago, AndyDD said:

That goalkeeper would probably be Ross Laidlaw.  I think he’s probably no worse than Clark, but the situation in goals - Gunn aside - is bleak. 

Edited by Savage Henry

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

That goalkeeper would probably be Ross Laidlaw.  I think he’s probably no worse than Clark, but the situation in goals - Gunn aside - is bleak. 

Laidlaw didn't necessarily strike me as a Scotland goalie in waiting when I saw him this season, but let's face it, neither do Kelly or Clark. 

I’d be concerned about having Liam Kelly in the Rovers squad, let alone Scotland.

Remember that rule we had about a certain number of u21 players in the old SPL match day squads, it was axed with the complaint all teams did was use the sub goalie slot to name one of the designated u21 players. Seems to me like we haven’t produced a decent ‘keeper since…

Edited by Enigma

I'm not too concerned. It's probably as close to the best scenario our goalkeepers could walk into. They get a chance for competitive game-time without loads on the line. Clark and Kelly have a cap already, so chance for both to try and build on that. It's healthy for them to get game time.

Sometimes I think folk are just looking for things to get in a spin over.

Edited by 2426255

35 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I’d be concerned about having Liam Kelly in the Rovers squad, let alone Scotland.

Remember that rule we had about a certain number of u21 players in the old SPL match day squads, it was axed with the complaint all teams did was use the sub goalie slot to name one of the designated u21 players. Seems to me like we haven’t produced a decent ‘keeper since…

I mean McCrorie has been warming the Rangers bench for yonks and it hasn’t done him any good. I don’t know where the link is supposed to be.

I guess Callan McKenna is the current hope for a young one breaking through?

Feels like Cieran Slicker and Archie Mair have been touted for a while as promising ones but never really done anything yet.

Some interesting enough points in there on the focus of the camp (building winning momentum, halting the losing run), warm weather camp plans in Turkey, chat around Doig, McTominay and the goalkeepers.

More points, it's quite simple. Obviously we've qualified now, but the target is to finish with as many points as we can out of the group campaign. We want to keep improving so Georgia away, tough game and it won't be easy here at home against Norway - but we want to finish on a high. The main target is qualification, we've got that - but like I said it would be nice to finish the group well. We want to show people that we're improving all the time, we want to keep a winning mentality - we're going into these games on the back of three defeats. Three defeats against good opposition, but three defeats nevertheless so it's time we put an end to that run.

It's very difficult to see Spain dropping any points with the two games they've got left, but you never know - it's football so it's up to us that if Spain do slip up, which like I say is probably a long shot, but if they do slip up then we have to be in a position to capitalise - so maximum points would be nice from the last two games.

It's something that we've done before. We did it on the way to Moldova, we stopped off in Spain. A November camp, the weather's a little bit nicer - be similar going to Turkiye and it's something that we'd organised with the fact that these last two games we felt would be pivotal in terms of qualification, but the players have done so well that we've actually qualified before we get there. Georgia's a long way away so it breaks up - it means we can leave early on the Sunday, leave on the Sunday night, get ourselves out there, get a couple of days training and prepare for a tough game in Georgia.

That's always what I say, it's unfortunate for the boys that are out injured - there's too many for me to sit here and name so we'll just gloss over that fact and just go straight to the fact that it gives other people the chance to impress and it's up to them whether or not they take that chance.

Maybe I could claim that I saw in to the future and I capped them both. It's unfortunate that we lose Angus, but it's going to be a great chance for one of those two boys to step up and get another cap.

Josh has been in the squad before. He's doing well out in Serie A, plays pretty regularly for his club. He's another one who's challenged himself by going abroad - it's not an easy route to take so it will be nice to see how he's improved over the last 12 months and hopefully he gets a chance to show what he can do on the pitch.

First chance since qualification for the Tartan Army to come out and thank the players, which I think they will do. It's also a chance for the players to thank the Tartan Army for the backing they've given us over this campaign and like I say it would be really nice to finish with a good performance and a good win here at Hampden.

Steve Clarke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Nkzdxl6cU

I remember, going back September last year was the Nations League games where we had to go to Ukraine. Pretty much a shadow squad out there, but they dug in and got the result required and that's what we'll do this time. You can always talk about the ones not here, but I always prefer to talk about the ones that are going to be here so fingers crossed no more injuries between now and the squad meet up on Sunday night and look forward to the two games.  

I think every game between now and the squad selection for the Euros next summer is a chance for somebody to impress, so hopefully they take their chances.

Obviously I speak to Scot (Gemmill) regularly before he announces his squad. Scot has to name his squad as is and then if I need to take anybody from it I do inform Scot and let him know that he's going to lose one or more players. Josh is doing well in Serie A, plays pretty regularly for his club - is a good athletic players, gets up and down the line and it'll be nice to see how he's improved. Obviously we saw him in the camp last September, so it will be nice to see how he's improved and how he fits in to the camp this time.

Difficult one to answer really, I don't know whether the 45 minutes will stand them in good stead or not. Obviously one of them's (Kelly, Clark) going to get a chance to play in the games coming up so it's a big camp for them, they know they have to impress. Obviously they've been in a lot of squads so they understand it, they know the expectation around them so hopefully they train well and are ready to play.

Steve Clarke

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12017/13002859/scotland-josh-doig-robby-mccrorie-and-anthony-ralston-included-in-injury-depleted-squad-for-final-euro-2024-qualifiers     

We identified the two games Georgia away and Norway at home as going to be crucial games in the qualification process. Credit to the players we've already qualified so the games are not quite as crucial, but when you strip it back we've lost the last three games - we want to pick up a little bit of momentum going into the tournament next summer so these two games are very important for us.

Steve Clarke

https://news.stv.tv/sport/steve-clarke-remaining-qualifiers-are-crucial-for-scotlands-momentum

I think it just tells you everything you need to know about Scott McTominay as a player and a person. A lot of people would have had him out of the Manchester United team and it's turned out that he's pretty crucial to them. Turns up week in, week out. He's a person who loves the club, he does great for his club and he's done fantastic for us - or done fantastic for his country. You don't have to sell anything to me about Scott McTominay. We obviously rate him very, very highly and we're delighted that he's doing so well at his club as well as doing so well for his country.

Steve Clarke

https://x.com/BBCSportScot/status/1722271738111898077?s=20