Dundee United v Arbroath

23 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

Last night we played with Bird, Hylton and Thuran- 3 strikers. First match we started with Bird, Hylton and McIntosh - 3 strikers. Never mind the formation. Lack of defensive cover. 

Hylton is a left winger. Turan has played upfront but he seems to be more of an attacking midfielder.

Of course the formation matters too. It was a 4-5-1 last night - first game was a 4-4-2  

Who would you have playing over Hylton and Turan then and how much difference do you think it really would’ve made considering both were basically chasing the ball all evening? 

13 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Remember when we appointed Goodwin and a number of Aberdeen fans said we were making a mistake?  I’m sure now their take would be “he’s ok for the Championship” but that would be revisionism.

Counterpoint: he should never have got you relegated.

29 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

We had a horribly unbalanced collection of individuals, huge deficiencies and the wrong collection of ingredients.  I don’t particularly blame Goodwin for not turning that ship around.  

The jury was still out on him at start of the season (given that relegation), but for me the biggest testament to how he has done is how balanced that team now look.  It is clear what we are trying to do & who does what.  All the additions to the squad have addressed and corrected issues and weaknesses that we had.  All the existing players remaining from last year are playing better than they were, and many who fans had written off are delivering regularly (albeit at the lower championship level…remains to be seen how they’ll all get on when stepping back up a level, in a confident, organised team).  We were weak and regularly bullied out of games, now there is a battling quality to us.

Given all that, Goodwin will do for me.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Remember when we appointed Goodwin and a number of Aberdeen fans said we were making a mistake?  I’m sure now their take would be “he’s ok for the Championship” but that would be revisionism.

I'll be honest, I'm not a million miles away from that viewpoint. I'll reserve judgement until the Premiership next year.

18 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I'll be honest, I'm not a million miles away from that viewpoint. I'll reserve judgement until the Premiership next year.

He's done all that we could have asked so far, at least in the league - if we do win it, then mission accomplished. I'll worry about next season next season.

1 hour ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

He's done all that we could have asked so far, at least in the league - if we do win it, then mission accomplished. I'll worry about next season next season.

Get your point. I just feel that at some point we are going to have start planning for longer term than season at a time.

Bad night out for the Lichties (shouldn’t have been a ‘night’).  Offhand, I can’t recall a heavier defeat in the Championship.  Maybe coming in a bit undercooked after no leagues games for several weeks.  Messed up our previously healthy goal difference -Utd account for about 60% of our goals conceded so they probably have our number plus have clearly hit a purple patch of late.

i couldn’t face the trip up -time/weather/roads plus the principle so feel for the Lichtie fans that went.  But we eventually bounced back from that awful first game so after this rude resumption of play, hope we can get up to speed more quickly again.  As at day 1, United remain big favourites to win the league.

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Hylton is a left winger. Turan has played upfront but he seems to be more of an attacking midfielder.

Of course the formation matters too. It was a 4-5-1 last night - first game was a 4-4-2  

Who would you have playing over Hylton and Turan then and how much difference do you think it really would’ve made considering both were basically chasing the ball all evening? 

We had Balde, Lyon and Norey on the bench, any one of whom would have done better defensively on the right (or centre with Gold out right) than Thuran who provided no useful support to Steele. 
We’re short of left footed options, but since Hammy was fit we could have started him with Stewart in front of him. Our only sensible tactic was to keep it 0–0 for as long as possible and hope for a set piece or a break. 
Anyway, the damage is done now, to our goal difference and confidence. There’s no such thing as a free hit. 

I don't blame Goodwin for our relegation, but I do question the soundness of his judgement for even taking the job in the first place, considering his reputation had taken a huge dent at Aberdeen and our ridiculously bad goalkeeping situation alone at that point.

I've very few complaints about how he's dealt with this season so far though. 

On first viewing I didn't think the challenge on Cudjoe before his goal looked that bad, but from this angle it's a shocker. Was the Arbroath player booked for this?

Fair play to Cudjoe, if he had stayed down and rolled around a bit instead of getting up to play on, the boy could've been in trouble.

44 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

On first viewing I didn't think the challenge on Cudjoe before his goal looked that bad, but from this angle it's a shocker. Was the Arbroath player booked for this?

Fair play to Cudjoe, if he had stayed down and rolled around a bit instead of getting up to play on, the boy could've been in trouble.

Nah, not booked. Only thing which stops it being a clear red is the fact that Cudjoe gets back up and scores. Even then, it's incredibly dangerous so might still have been a red. Thought the challenge on Middleton around 30 minutes could also have been a red - very deliberate foul from behind when Middleton was about to either shoot or roll in Watt. Not the last man but we were 2 on 1 on the edge of the box.

Edited by Pull My Strings

44 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Stop yer whining, you got 3 points, move on you’ve won the league, no way there was 8.5 at that game, 650 Lichties there, about 3k at kick off, you guys using Seville calculators.

7 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

It was the failure of the board to sanction a critical signing of an actual GK in January that sealed our fate. Goodwin tried, but there was no team spirit there and we were deservedly relegated.

Reset under Goodwin has been successful. All signings (bar Denholm) have made an impact. And that is an impressive managerial feat in itself. However, out of necessity, Goodwin has also had to involve a fair few academy players in the first team. And the results of that speak very well as to the nous of Goodwin aligned to the quality of our academy.

12 minutes ago, Broath Boy said:

Stop yer whining, you got 3 points, move on you’ve won the league, no way there was 8.5 at that game, 650 Lichties there, about 3k at kick off, you guys using Seville calculators.

Not sure an Arbroath supporter is the best judge of what an 8,500 crowd looks like.

2 hours ago, CYBERSHED said:

It was the failure of the board to sanction a critical signing of an actual GK in January that sealed our fate. Goodwin tried, but there was no team spirit there and we were deservedly relegated.

Reset under Goodwin has been successful. All signings (bar Denholm) have made an impact. And that is an impressive managerial feat in itself. However, out of necessity, Goodwin has also had to involve a fair few academy players in the first team. And the results of that speak very well as to the nous of Goodwin aligned to the quality of our academy.

I do feel for Denholm as a young guy up on loan looking for game time, but it looks like Goodwin was proactive and reacted to the tough time he got in those two defeats by bringing in Gallagher. He's been completely vindicated for doing so thus far.