Raith Rovers v Airdrie Utd

Happy with a point in the end as Airdrie were the better team without question. 

Felt a bit sorry for Mullin as he’s clearly not comfortable on the left. Totally negates his ability to get half a yard and whip a cross in early. I know it was needs must in terms of injuries but I’d hope Easton is fit enough to start there next week.

Smith took his goal well. Doesn’t seem to be a fan of remembrance though…

image.jpeg.de5683ff65f4fc093202ee0676fb4393.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Rover the Moon said:

Happy with a point in the end as Airdrie were the better team without question. 

Felt a bit sorry for Mullin as he’s clearly not comfortable on the left. Totally negates his ability to get half a yard and whip a cross in early. I know it was needs must in terms of injuries but I’d hope Easton is fit enough to start there next week.

Smith took his goal well. Doesn’t seem to be a fan of remembrance though…

image.jpeg.de5683ff65f4fc093202ee0676fb4393.jpeg

Mystery solved. Aaron Taylor-Sinclair stole it. 

9001-640x480(1).jpg.97078cfa1469b6287ac880fdbbfded85.jpg

On 01/11/2023 at 13:03, Raithie said:

Only seen Airdrie twice, the game against us then the game against QP on TV. Their style of play and tactics seemed to be exactly the same. Do Airdrie have a plan B? If they plan to stick to the same gameplan/style hopefully Murray has learnt something from the game against them a few weeks ago and how to counter this. Actually thought Airdrie looked not bad in our 1-0 defeat, seemed organised and comfortable on the ball. Fully expecting us to still be without Gullan, Watson, Hamilton, Matthews and Corr and hopefully Millen is ok. We're at home though so that's a bonus. 

I wasn't far off my assumptions. Airdrie very nice on the eye, organised, can pass it about and determined to play it out from the back. In some way it reminded me a bit of McGlynn's tenure and it was encouraging that we sussed it out early doors and played a high line to try and stop them getting into a rhythm, something we didn't do in the 1-0 game. Managed to pressure them into a couple of mistakes in the 1st half however thought they looked dangerous going forward and had Dabrowski to thank for a couple of good saves. Draw probably a fair result overall. 3 games in the space of a week and 7 points, can't grumble with that especially with a number of players still out. 

On 04/11/2023 at 17:31, R.R.FC said:

No complaints with the time wasting from an Airdrie perspective it’s what clever teams do but feel like there should have been more added time from the ref. Doubt it would have made any difference though.

Rightly so considering you withdrew the ball boys up until we scored after going ahead 

1 hour ago, CumbyDiamond said:

Rightly so considering you withdrew the ball boys up until we scored after going ahead 

There was 10 minutes between the goals, I doubt our ball boys could have wasted much time in that period.

It’s something I have noticed with the ball boys though and like I say, something streetwise teams do. It’s on the referee to add the time on at the end though. 3 minutes stoppage time when there were 6 substitutes and some time wasting seemed not enough.

Very minor point though, it was hardly like we were creating chance after chance or an extra couple of minutes would have made all the difference, a draw a fair result.

Edited by R.R.FC

I really enjoyed the game on Saturday. 2 good open teams having a go at each other and the result really could have gone either way. A great advert for the league as they say...

Noticed a huge difference in our energy in the middle of the park when Masson came on which allowed Brown and Stanton to each move forward. Can understand why this didn't happen from the start as Masson still learning and Airdries attacking play could've exposed his inexperience.

Thought we won the first half against the run of play and Airdrie won the second against the run of play... football eh?

Another point in the bag though and no real change in standings so not a bad weekend.

Hopefully more bodies available next week.

Have to say after watching the highlights (was at the game but tend to get caught up in things) that Airdrie are a bloody decent football team.  (Did I really say that? :P ).  The best footballing side I have saw us play this season.  Away game to them too, they deserved the 3 points as they totally countered our press, and we didn't know how to change it.  
I think the Airdrie fans can relax a bit.  Cannot see them going down, and more likely to finish 6th or above.  Are Airdrie to be our new bogey team?!

8 hours ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

The Vaughan penalty claim falls into the 'Seen them given' category but it'd have been incredibly soft.

Just catching up on the penalty debate and as it was up the other end, I'd be foolish to start debating it. On the highlights I'd agree it's one of those maybes, but it's the refs call

Lots of guys around me were berating him but I thought he was quite good for this recent crop.

One wee minor quibble would be when he gave a foul but did not book Easton for a clear pulling back of Frizzell 

I only say this as Frizzell has picked up several bookings for wee shirt pulls.

Still enjoyed the game.

1 hour ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

Have to say after watching the highlights (was at the game but tend to get caught up in things) that Airdrie are a bloody decent football team.  (Did I really say that? :P ).  The best footballing side I have saw us play this season.  Away game to them too, they deserved the 3 points as they totally countered our press, and we didn't know how to change it.  
I think the Airdrie fans can relax a bit.  Cannot see them going down, and more likely to finish 6th or above.  Are Airdrie to be our new bogey team?!

We will relax when we secure 8th.

We easily have the smallest budget in the league so the big test will be January when other teams bring in reinforcements. Inverness have shown with Sheridan and Wotherspoon and of course Ferguson that they aren't afraid to splurge the cash.

You guys clearly have some poppy to throw about aswell so I'm not surprised to see you 2nd top. The big leveller for you will be Murrays inability to win a playoff. Good luck with that one. 

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

We will relax when we secure 8th.

We easily have the smallest budget in the league so the big test will be January when other teams bring in reinforcements. Inverness have shown with Sheridan and Wotherspoon and of course Ferguson that they aren't afraid to splurge the cash.

You guys clearly have some poppy to throw about aswell so I'm not surprised to see you 2nd top. The big leveller for you will be Murrays inability to win a playoff. Good luck with that one. 

Well we'll just have to win the league then. 

Always seem to enjoy games against Airdrie from back in the 90s when we seemed to play each other constantly. Hope you stay up.

2 hours ago, Heid_The_Baw said:

I think playing better teams suits us because they come out to play and that allows us to play through the gaps. Our best performances this season have been against the top 3, plus Ross County in the cup. And worst been against the likes of Arbroath, Ayr and ICT.

Numerous times on Saturday we played nice passes in behind the midfield, but in lots of games this season that's not been possible because teams have worked out that if they sit back and let us pass it about we usually go nowhere and they can pick us off. The best way for Raith to beat us would probably be sit in and counter us with pace, but that's not going to happen, especially at home.

If we could guarantee that all games were like Saturday with 2 teams going hell for leather I'd be confident of doing well this season. But with the usual week to week reality of cagey games we need to find a way of breaking through teams who don't play the way Raith do.

39 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I think playing better teams suits us because they come out to play and that allows us to play through the gaps. Our best performances this season have been against the top 3, plus Ross County in the cup. And worst been against the likes of Arbroath, Ayr and ICT.

Numerous times on Saturday we played nice passes in behind the midfield, but in lots of games this season that's not been possible because teams have worked out that if they sit back and let us pass it about we usually go nowhere and they can pick us off. The best way for Raith to beat us would probably be sit in and counter us with pace, but that's not going to happen, especially at home.

If we could guarantee that all games were like Saturday with 2 teams going hell for leather I'd be confident of doing well this season. But with the usual week to week reality of cagey games we need to find a way of breaking through teams who don't play the way Raith do.

Agree the better football the opposition play allows us to play at our best ,

6 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

One wee minor quibble would be when he gave a foul but did not book Easton for a clear pulling back of Frizzell

I forgot about that but said at the time that I was surprised he didn't get booked. 

Good foul from our perspective.