Dundee FC vs The Pride of Renfrewshire, AKA St. Mirren - Armistice Day, 2023

2 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Right, Dees. Get this shower of uppity Paisley minks pumped.

Congratulations on your inevitable promotion. Dees staying up and you getting promoted secures some decent add-ons for the Carson and Gallagher transfers respectively. I've been rooting for you both.

Here's a bit of fun, I don't know who the ref or the VAR assistant(s) is/are, but which do you think it'll be...

1. Ref/VAR plays no part in determining the final score.
  2. Ref/VAR benefits the home team.
  3. Ref/VAR benefits the away team.
  4. Ref/VAR negatively benefits both teams.

Me? I'm going #2, purely because it's the only way Dundee can win, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out #4.

Just now, ZingaliMan said:

Good opportunity for Dundee as a bug is going through players and staff. Sickness and diohrea .  Dundee have been looking decent especially at home going to be a tight game. 

Only fair St.Mirren stay in Glasgow then, forfeit the 3 points, and don't spread their weegie-flu to Tayside. 

23 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Congratulations on your inevitable promotion. Dees staying up and you getting promoted secures some decent add-ons for the Carson and Gallagher transfers respectively. I've been rooting for you both.

Thank you. 

16 minutes ago, Ric said:

Here's a bit of fun, I don't know who the ref or the VAR assistant(s) is/are, but which do you think it'll be...

1. Ref/VAR plays no part in determining the final score.
  2. Ref/VAR benefits the home team.
  3. Ref/VAR benefits the away team.
  4. Ref/VAR negatively benefits both teams.

Me? I'm going #2, purely because it's the only way Dundee can win, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out #4.

4. VAR needs to go in the bin.

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

4. VAR needs to go in the bin.

VAR is fine, it's the officials making the rulings that is at fault.

Remove VAR and you will still have dodgy decisions and delays. All VAR does is provide more clarity in situations.

It absolutely should not take 4 or 5 minutes for the officials to make a decision, and static images should not be the sole arbiter, but those are all faults of the officials not the technology.

1 minute ago, Ric said:

VAR is fine, it's the officials making the rulings that is at fault.

Remove VAR and you will still have dodgy decisions and delays. All VAR does is provide more clarity in situations.

It absolutely should not take 4 or 5 minutes for the officials to make a decision, and static images should not be the sole arbiter, but those are all faults of the officials not the technology.

VAR is shite. Initially, especially in Scotland, I thought it might be good - especially against the uglies. For an ever-so-fleeting moment, I had visions of the referee making another one of those good honest ‘refereeing Tavernier penalty to the Rangers’ mistakes - only for VAR to administer an electric shock to his haw-maws, and tell him ‘erm, no penalty’…. My arse. Still waiting for the Sevco to concede a single penalty kick. All VAR has done is to create two layers of ‘good honest Goldson never did nuthin’ so play on’ mistakes.

In the case of fixtures like Dundee v St Mirren, there will be no ‘good honest mistakes’ at play, unless the VAR team is Stevie Thompson, Dougie Vipond and Paisley Panda, or Oor Wullie, Gnasher and some bloke from a Jute, Jam & Journalism office, but still… it’ll come down to someone being called offside because their left testicle was deemed to be  (literally), a baw hair offside, or, after a five minute delay to check, a goal was chalked off because someone farted three ‘phases’ prior to the ball actually hitting the net.

Fcuk VAR. We were better off with the Tavernier penalties just being awarded first hand. At least we knew the score then, and could just move onto the next game against a fellow diddy.

Just now, pozbaird said:

VAR is shite.

So just ditch it and replace it with people in the Sportscene studio reviewing the video pointing out the error 5 hours later? That's what happened before. I see no reason for the referee not to be shown that replay at the very time when they can influence the play if that replay is available. At least you know that the referee has had the ability to look at it again and it rules out the "honest mistake" excuse that used to be trotted out when the ref refused to give a blatant penalty against the OF.

Is it VARs fault that the law states any contact with the hand from the goal scorer rules out the goal? It is FIFA that decides that shit, yet VAR is blamed because it has video showing the hand being hit.

No, I find the whole "ditch it, we were better off before" attitude akin to people smashing spinning Jennys. The technology isn't going away, and in fact it's only going to get better. It is infinitely better at being able to identify offside or fouls than referees as has been shown.

No, the weak link in the chain is not the tech, it's the officials, their ability to understand and interpret the rules and those who are making the rules and not understanding how VAR will reflect those changes.

2 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

There's a sickness bug going through the St Mirren staff, looks like at least 2 players out:

Concerned Robinson told Renfrewshire Live Sport: “We’ve had a bit of bug hit the club. We’ve had the training ground deep cleaned to give ourselves a chance to stop it spreading as much as possible. Fingers crossed, we’re hoping we’ve contained it. We’re two players down with sickness and diarrhoea and three or four of the staff too who seem to be dropping like flies at the minute with it. Hopefully we can stop it spreading and I’ll probably delay naming my team until Saturday morning.

I’m feeling fine. I’m the only staff member now that’s never missed a day’s training - that’s a record to be proud of! Seriously though, we’ve got to try and keep as many players fit and available. It actually hit before the Hibs game. One of the players was sick during the game at half-time, but he’s now come back OK. We’ve got a small squad and we can’t afford to have four or five going down with it. We’ve got a few struggling that fear it might be coming on still. But it happens to every club at some stage, working in a closed environment where everyone trains together and showers in the same place.

We’re just limiting the amount of contact we’re making with each other and hopefully we can get through to the international break, which will give them a better chance for time to recover away from the club.”

Hopefully nothing trivial. *

(*not fatal, obviously)

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Oh 🤔

Why does he want you to win then. I thought you weren’t supposed to like each other? 

He’s a sensible lad thus he (like the rest of Scottish football) dislikes you mob more than he dislikes us. 

9 minutes ago, Ric said:

So just ditch it and replace it with people in the Sportscene studio reviewing the video pointing out the error 5 hours later?  

They are still fookin doing this, now it’s the VAR mistakes. 
I was happy as things were before, you win some you lose some. It’s the same now really but things have defo gone against us so far this season. 1 change id like is that in dubious offside decisions, like Boyle against the Dandies, the outcome should favour the attacking team. 

39 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

St Mirren getting the excuses in early as they are literally shitting it.

Very much no. Is your neck sore looking up ?  There is a reason your having to look up at us and it's not to do with being a shit team.  Dundee fans sound like wee boys at the fanny stage in life 🤣