What took you far too long to get?

DA Baracus

7 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Early twenties when I was met with the realisation gammon wasn't fish.

On a similar note, until my 30s I never realised Scampi was a small fish. I just assumed it was just something like haddock cut into small pieces 

19 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I was in my late 20s when I got the name 'Paul Bearer'.

I'm currently 38 (will be 39 next month) and I've only just got the lyric "Bustin' makes me feel good!" in the song 'Ghostbusters' by Ray Parker Jr.

Don't feel bad.  I only got the Paul Bearer thing about 5 years ago. When I was 35.

19 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

The green man at pedestrian crossings is walking, while the red man is standing still. 

I always just saw green means go

Did you know there is a hidden button on the bottom of the crossing control box?

It turns to let blind people know it's safe to cross.

image.thumb.png.094e4376db5bd7bbea136151eb072129.png

18 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Usually placenames. Was down in England, stopped in Leominster, had no clue it was pronounced ‘Lemster’. Made a twat of it. Mind you, up here it’s a minefield. Still scarred by my years working in Falkirk and not knowing how to say ‘Camelon’ properly. Ach, fcuk um’, Falkirk’s a weird place anyway. 😜

Spelt Camelon, locals call it “Kemlin” and Scotrail train announcer says Cam-e-lon 

25 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Spelt Camelon, locals call it “Kemlin” and Scotrail train announcer says Cam-e-lon 

Friockheim or more to the point, Wisharts or Friockheim, drive around with their 'luxury' coaches emblazoned with 

image.thumb.png.1d22c59c485a9aba3fc53d319a15da42.png

Yet when I dropped some on the bus I got banned from the service and a £90 fine. :(

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Interesting.  So is New York called the Big Apple because it has more Apple Macs?

When I was about 6 or 7 the radio announced that Prince Naseem was fighting someone in "The Big Apple". I thought he was going to fight someone in a big bouncy castle type thing shaped like an apple.

I still think that would be a great spectator sport.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

i used to think prima donna was actually pre madonna ie the way madonna acted before she was famous.

Same, probably was about 10 when my mum put me straight(after about 5 minutes of laughing at me ) when I asked her if it was about people who wanted to be like maddona 

20 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Same, probably was about 10 when my mum put me straight(after about 5 minutes of laughing at me ) when I asked her if it was about people who wanted to be like maddona 

in eminem’s song lose yourself the way he says it sounds like pre madonna so let’s blame him. 

i remember meeting a young lad who thought scotlands first minister was called Nicola Scherzinger which i think is inexcusable.

3 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

On a similar note, until my 30s I never realised Scampi was a small fish. I just assumed it was just something like haddock cut into small pieces 

Well scampi can be a prawn, I've no idea where the geographical area this is, in a similar chipper/chippy.

Scampi as in the stuff you get battered should be made from monkfish tails.

@Venti may be able to elaborate.

12 minutes ago, throbber said:

in eminem’s song lose yourself the way he says it sounds like pre madonna so let’s blame him. 

i remember meeting a young lad who thought scotlands first minister was called Nicola Scherzinger which i think is inexcusable.

A young guy asked me yesterday where see enis road was. He was walking round asking people. I thought he meant Sienna Gardens. He then started to spell it out to me. Sciennes Road