Scotland vs Norway 19th November 2023

MarkoRaj

Just now, 2426255 said:

It is a meaningless fixture, that's not up for debate - but it won't be meaningless for the players playing especially trying to get into the Euro's squad. I think it will be something similar to the Denmark game during World Cup qualifying just in terms of an occasion.

Are there any meaningless fixtures in international football though? Even friendlies are still a chance to represent your country. The caps and goals still count towards the records. I'd give my left bollock to play one minute for Scotland in such a "meaningless" match.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Are there any meaningless fixtures in international football though? Even friendlies are still a chance to represent your country. The caps and goals still count towards the records. I'd give my left bollock to play one minute for Scotland in such a "meaningless" match.

I get what you're saying, but I think when you're in the bubble and that's your environment it changes and normalizes. I don't think realistically a guy who has 40 caps is going to be incentivized by getting to 41.

I think the context is what provides the motivation. What will make the players want to perform tonight? What do they gain selfishly from performing well. Playing their way into the plans for Euro-2024 which I think must be a significant motivation. I think there will be push from management to end the campaign on a high and give the supporters a good night/send off.

I think that will be a strong force pushing our team on tonight, giving a meaning to the game for the players.

Edited by 2426255

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

It is a meaningless fixture, that's not up for debate - but it won't be meaningless for the players playing especially trying to get into the Euro's squad. I think it will be something similar to the Denmark game during World Cup qualifying just in terms of an occasion.

It’s not up for debate how meaningless it is, but it won’t be meaningless. 

Stale Solbakken reflecting on June's game between Norway and Scotland ahead of tonights rematch.

It was probably the sorest defeat you will ever feel. I still wake up at night thinking about those last five minutes but that is life. If you look back now, those five minutes were very, very damaging. Otherwise the game tomorrow would have been a final. That speaks volumes - but we must congratulate Scotland on a great campaign. They have done really, really well. Not only in this campaign but also in the years before that. 

They’ve played at a very high level and have also been good at bringing the margins on their side in tight games, which is very important in national football when there are so few games.

Stale Solbakken, Norway Manager

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/erling-haaland-scots-scotland-manchester-city-germany-b2449802.html