Euro 2024 Draw (Saturday 2nd December 5pm)

Hendricks

2 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

Why does everyone rate the toblerone munchers?

No idea. They won 2 games in qualification not called Andorra. They’re 4th seeds for a reason.

Romania have been bang average for decades and coasted that group.

They’ll be tough, but if they were called Slovakia or Slovenia no one would think much of them.

Middle-of-the-road outcome IMO.

Positives are avoiding 2nd big gun like Netherlands or Italy; glamour of playing in opening game; and meeting Hungary last which from those 3 is the opponent I'd prefer if potentially needing a win.

Negatives are avoiding easier opponents across the pots; difficulty getting result off hosts in opening their own tournament; if do lose plus others don't draw you enter Game 2 really needing a result; and 4/5 groups finishing after makes it tougher to achieve best 3rd places as others know points+GD required.

20 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

Why does everyone rate the toblerone munchers?

Their record over the last 12-15 years for a country of their size is very good. Fortunately the group of players who were mainstays of that are now past their best or retired from the national team. Still capable of getting results but probably the best time to play them in years. We are more than capable of getting a result against them, if we are at full strength.

18 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

That's a nightmare. Hungary are the best team in Pot 2 and Switzerland are the best team in Pot 4. We're good enough that we shouldn't fear anyone and one win can put us through but f**k me, imagine we got dropped into Group E, I'd have us in the semis already.

At least Germany are massively preferable to England or France.

Yeah, this.

It's a tough draw.  Getting Germany is exciting and not as daunting as previous incarnations would have been.  Let's not kid ourselves though - they'll be strong favourites against us.  

As for the others, they're a bit like us I suppose, although Switzerland have a very good recent record of getting out of their group.  We might have got luckier in Pot 4, but obviously it's good that we avoided Italy. 

It's kind of comparable to our group last time tbh.  We have to make a better fist of it. 

3 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Their record over the last 12-15 years for a country of their size is very good. Fortunately the group of players who were mainstays of that are now past their best or retired from the national team. Still capable of getting results but probably the best time to play them in years. We are more than capable of getting a result against them, if we are at full strength.

I agree, but I also really hope we don't wander blindly down the "they're old, don't have the legs anymore" path like we did Vs Croatia at the last Euros (and Peru '78).

One thing that could go in our favour regarding Hungary is that I reckon some folk will tip them as dark horses, so an embarrassing group stage exit would be inevitable if they are. 

Playing in the opening game will be absolutely class, but it will mean that we'll be subjected to the opening ceremony.