Hamilton v Queens

11 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Notts County were another good example. I don't know what the argument is tbh.

I'm sure the hangers on are enjoying it down Wrexham way but given how bored I ended up being the season we walked L1 I'm confident I'd get fed up supporting a team buying success. 

Your argument appeared to be singling Wrexham out as doing something unusual. 

Wrexham aren't walking it though. It took two years to get out the conference and they're in second in l2. 

There's a big difference in bankrolling a team and bankrolling a club. Mileson bankrolled a team as a two fingers to carlisle. He had no interest in the club or it's long term future. If what we've seen of Reynolds is true, that's not what they're doing at Wrexham. 

Bankrolling a club can be a positive thing, if there is investment in infrastructure and community and youth development. Ross county have done pretty well out of it. 

3 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

He kicks about with the Liverpool team anytime they win a trophy so don’t think that’s strictly true, however don’t think he has any interest in us at all. Pretty sure he got asked to do a song with the club years ago and he wasn’t interested obviously.

Sounds about right - think he was a Queens fan for one day, at the cup final way back in 2008 ... plenty of those about tbf ...

32 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

Your argument appeared to be singling Wrexham out as doing something unusual. 

Wrexham aren't walking it though. It took two years to get out the conference and they're in second in l2. 

There's a big difference in bankrolling a team and bankrolling a club. Mileson bankrolled a team as a two fingers to carlisle. He had no interest in the club or it's long term future. If what we've seen of Reynolds is true, that's not what they're doing at Wrexham. 

Bankrolling a club can be a positive thing, if there is investment in infrastructure and community and youth development. Ross county have done pretty well out of it. 

I never singled Wrexham out, they were brought up. There's plenty of other sides doing the same thing but it's not quite as big a circus as Wrexham. Either way I wouldn't want that at Queens. 

If he's not gone, he should get some psychologists in, and work on the fact that under pressure and with adrenaline coursing, people will act on instinct and not remember what they had prepared. It's entry level stuff, but he seems so genuinely perplexed that what they talk about in the classroom and in training doesn't happen in competitive games.

16 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

If he's not gone, he should get some psychologists in, and work on the fact that under pressure and with adrenaline coursing, people will act on instinct and not remember what they had prepared. It's entry level stuff, but he seems so genuinely perplexed that what they talk about in the classroom and in training doesn't happen in competitive games.

... or some might say ... these players just aren't good enough for the level they're playing at - can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear etc etc ...

I think Marvin knows what players of reasonable quality would do in such situations, it's just that he's signed players who can't do it.

If a new manager comes in then he's going to be faced with the same problem - a squad that just isn't up to the task.  Hence, the importance of the January window, but even so our options will be very limited.

17 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

... or some might say ... these players just aren't good enough for the level they're playing at - can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear etc etc ...

I think Marvin knows what players of reasonable quality would do in such situations, it's just that he's signed players who can't do it.

If they can do it in training then in theory they are physically able to do it. It is also not difficult stuff. Evidently the issue lies in how they perform under pressure. How you perform under pressure is clearly a component of one's overall ability as a footballer and an inability to perform in match situations may be why they are at this level. However, it is also something which can be worked on, and apparently no investigations have been made to date into their ability to improve. I therefore think it is worth looking at. 

Getting some psychologists in for a few hours a week for a few months is also going to be a lot cheaper than the fanciful notion that we will be able to sign 8 to 10 new players in January. 

10 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

Getting some psychologists in for a few hours a week for a few months is also going to be a lot cheaper than the fanciful notion that we will be able to sign 8 to 10 new players in January. 

We clearly can't/won't sign 8-10 players in January (I never meant to infer that) but we need to sign one or two solid signings in key areas.

2 minutes ago, Artemis said:

Is it not also possible that the players are more likely to make mistakes because there is the added pressure of knowing if you make one, you’re going to get slaughtered in the post match interview? I watched the Spurs manager yesterday saying he said to the players at half time to not worry about making mistakes because it was on him as that was the way he was asking them to play. Not once did he say the goals, or chances given up, were caused by certain named players not doing something or other they had been told. He added it was easy for him on the sidelines to see what was wrong but not always that easy on the pitch.
The manager should be trying to take pressure off the players, rather than heaping it on them. It just looks like Bartley is saying “I’m doing everything right but these doughnuts keep making an arse of it”. Now, that might well be the case, but it doesn’t seem like the best way to solve the problem is by constantly saying it. It just comes across as though Bartley is looking after himself first and foremost.

I agree completely.

11 hours ago, bod said:

Reading your posts is confusing. Although you don't, for whatever reason attend all games this season, like the rest of us you are unhappy with how this season is unfolding so far under Bartley. Yet when we last had a title winning side you were bored!

I for one would be happy enough if someone like the locally born guy who now goes by the name of Calvin Harris started showing interest in the club.

Bill Drummond is allegedly a QOS fan.  It's a shame he burnt that £1m in the 90s.  We could have put it to good use - or more likely wasted it.

4 hours ago, Artemis said:

Is it not also possible that the players are more likely to make mistakes because there is the added pressure of knowing if you make one, you’re going to get slaughtered in the post match interview? I watched the Spurs manager yesterday saying he said to the players at half time to not worry about making mistakes because it was on him as that was the way he was asking them to play. Not once did he say the goals, or chances given up, were caused by certain named players not doing something or other they had been told. He added it was easy for him on the sidelines to see what was wrong but not always that easy on the pitch.
The manager should be trying to take pressure off the players, rather than heaping it on them. It just looks like Bartley is saying “I’m doing everything right but these doughnuts keep making an arse of it”. Now, that might well be the case, but it doesn’t seem like the best way to solve the problem is by constantly saying it. It just comes across as though Bartley is looking after himself first and foremost.

^^^ Wise words @Artemis, wise words.

I think big Ange told his Spurs side at HT yesterday something like "don't overthink it, just go out and play your game". Man management and the ability to motivate is a huge part of the game.

Edited by Otis Blue

1 hour ago, Slipmat said:

Bill Drummond is allegedly a QOS fan.  It's a shame he burnt that £1m in the 90s.  We could have put it to good use - or more likely wasted it.

If you want pre match motivational speeches then oor Bill's the man ... about time we summoned the Ancients of MuMu ...

11 hours ago, Slipmat said:

He is indeed, (a song called ‘Queen of the South’ features on his 1986 solo album ‘The Man’), though Spurs are his main team. I went to the Cup final in 2008 with Bill. He was mildly intrigued by the suggestion of investing in Queens, though he’s got several kids from previous relationships, so maintenance payments to his ex-partners might have had a preferential claim on his funds, along with the fact that he genuinely did set fire to a million quid. It was a defiantly absurdist gesture watching (much of) the material gains from a successful career in the pop business go up in flames, and I admire him for that, but you have to live with the consequences. It certainly didn’t prompt him to go back to the coal face in the music industry though, and he’s been spending his post-KLF years engaged in uncommercial projects, such as visiting folk whose houses stand on ley lines to make them soup, before embarking upon a decade-long World Tour entitled ‘Best Before Death’, which has seen him shining people’s shoes, baking cakes and building beds in locations from Lexington, North Carolina to Kolkata. Perhaps his modus operandi is changing though, as I notice KLF have just announced a world tour for 2323, with a (revisiting the scene of the crime) date at The Boathouse, Isle of Jura on 23.01.2323.

Edited by Frankie S

3 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Have to feel for @19QOS19 who was bored and miserable when Queens were good and is bored and miserable when they’re shite.

Maybe you just don’t actually enjoy football very much?

I enjoy football when you attend and have no idea what the outcome is going to be for your side. I'd kill to be rocking up to Palmerston with that sense of unknown just now. Sadly it's usually obvious I'll be turning up to watch a defeat. Turning up to a game knowing you're definitely going to win (or at least, not lose) was equally boring to me for the reasons I've already said. Just watching a side be competitive is good enough for me. 

5 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Have to feel for @19QOS19 who was bored and miserable when Queens were good and is bored and miserable when they’re shite.

Maybe you just don’t actually enjoy football very much?

If you don't understand what he's saying, then maybe following someone other than the OF isn't for you.

I too found our league campaign in 2012/13 tedious.