Hamilton v Queens

Hamilton apparently were poor yesterday and deservedly beat, we put in a great, fighting performance against the top team in the division above us and won, there's only one logical outcome from a Queens fans point of view, home win. Seriously we need to match yesterday's performance, and the one V Hamilton and Falkirk our place, only hard work will get us up out of this mess. 

This is going to be interesting/very telling moving forwards ... was the United performance a one off? Was it a combination of the players responding to Marvin's 15 minute interview/video gaming rant plus raising their game against a superior opponent? Or will we see a continuation of Saturday's team togetherness and full effort/application?

Will this be a positive, pivotal moment in our season or by 5 pm will we all be back on here wailing and demanding change? All will be revealed in due course ...

This will be a tough game and could go either way. QOTS have had a underwhelming season however last week against Dundee United and a couple of weeks ago against Falkirk they have showed that they aren't a free pass either. He needs to start O'Brien on Saturday nothing against Newbury he done well last week and looks a good player but this isn't the game for him noticed Newbury wasn't in the squad last night which was a bit strange wonder if that was down to injury or not. I would maybe bring Henderson back in for this game however Rankin must start Lewis Smith he was our best player last night. Again it could go either way but if you want to win the league you need to win these sort of games especially at home i will go with Accies 1-0 QOTS

Death, taxes and losing to Accies ... the only sure fire guarantees in life.

God knows what sort of performance we'll put on.  Was Saturday a one-off "we'll effin well show you boss" type of response from the players to Marvin's video game rant the week before?  Or are we finally about to turn a corner this season - highly unlikely I know.  Or is this the first of two more league defeats before the ultimate debacle against Embra on the 16th Dec?  How many more injuries will we have following the gargantuan cup efforts?  All will be revealed by 5 pm on Saturday that's for sure.

57 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Was Saturday a one-off "we'll effin well show you boss" type of response from the players to Marvin's video game rant the week before?  Or are we finally about to turn a corner this season - highly unlikely I know.  Or is this the first of two more league defeats before the ultimate debacle against Embra on the 16th Dec?  ....All will be revealed by 5 pm on Saturday that's for sure.

I'd love it to be turning a corner but, like you, I don't think anyone will really know until Saturday afternoon.

I have a very long round trip drive for games, so afternoons like last Saturday certainly are appreciated. Although it still doesn't anywhere near make up for rubbish we've been watching in the league games.

4 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I'm really not having a go at Queens here lads, but were you not a bit fortunate against DU? The stats were amazing, surely on another day a few of those efforts go in?

Yep you’re correct - on another day that ends up an absolute horsing! still was good to actually see the players giving their all for 120 minutes.

44 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I'm really not having a go at Queens here lads, but were you not a bit fortunate against DU? The stats were amazing, surely on another day a few of those efforts go in?

Yep, but that's cup fitba' and our keeper played a blinder (which is permitted as he's one of the team too), plus United's second shouldn't have stood (clear handball). Big team didn't take their chances and wee team worked their socks off to block everything else ... what's not to like?

Don't worry, we'll probably revert to type again on Saturday.

15 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Yep, but that's cup fitba' and our keeper played a blinder (which is permitted as he's one of the team too), plus United's second shouldn't have stood (clear handball). Big team didn't take their chances and wee team worked their socks off to block everything else ... what's not to like?

Don't worry, we'll probably revert to type again on Saturday.

Bugger that, get them horsed!

Even if we win on Saturday, it doesn't mean a corner turned. I think that can only be judged over a few games. If the gaming rant is the watershed, then whether it's had any positive impact can only really start to be judged after circa  five games (helpfully, those five games include a good variety of opposition).

2 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

That worrys me a bit .

At times it was United v Harry Stone think he had a amazing 16 saves he will not do that every week .

Players did lift it for  the Cup game but will they go back down to the normal rubbish they have played this season time will tell.

3 hours ago, ShaggerG said:

Yes, perfectly fair comment.  Dundee United genuinely could have been totally out of sight after less than ten minutes.

However, as noted elsewhere, despite Dundee United's pressure, they did need a  goal that should clearly have been disallowed, to force the draw in 90 minutes.   For that reason, it doesn't feel like we were especially fortunate, even though I can see where you're coming from.

I think the hope of a corner being turned, depends on the surrounding features too.  The home defeat to Kelty felt like hitting rock bottom.  Bartley's comical subsequent rant sounded like an endgame too.  For us then to be facing a much stronger side, pointed only to a hammering.

The fact that we played and competed very well, and emerged from the week's wreckage with an unlikely win, means we hope it might be significant.

However, no Queens fan will be convinced for a while yet.  We hoped the decent performance with your lot might herald an upturn a few weeks back, but it certainly didn't.  

Last Saturday may prove to have been a turning point, but it really might well just be a blip.  That would surprise nobody at all.

The pleasing thing for me was that not for the first time against higher league opposition, as a team we looked to play with a lot more freedom.

We didn’t try and fanny about at the back putting ourselves under pressure. We played 20/30 yards further up the park and looked so much better for it. We got a lot of joy by going long either down the channels or to Reilly who won more than his fair share in the air and even when he didn’t win it, he done enough to stop a clean clearance and we then picked up second balls.

Yes, Stones was MOM and rightly so (I’ve liked the look of him from day 1) and we rode our luck, but we looked so much better playing on the front foot. It was no coincidence Connelly and Walker had their best games of the season so far by going forward more than defending.

This weekend will tell us a lot about Bartley, will the team be told/instructed to try and play out from the back or play to our strengths, getting ourselves going forward and playing in Accies half.

14 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, perfectly fair comment.  Dundee United genuinely could have been totally out of sight after less than ten minutes.

However, as noted elsewhere, despite Dundee United's pressure, they did need a  goal that should clearly have been disallowed, to force the draw in 90 minutes.   For that reason, it doesn't feel like we were especially fortunate, even though I can see where you're coming from.

I think the hope of a corner being turned, depends on the surrounding features too.  The home defeat to Kelty felt like hitting rock bottom.  Bartley's comical subsequent rant sounded like an endgame too.  For us then to be facing a much stronger side, pointed only to a hammering.

The fact that we played and competed very well, and emerged from the week's wreckage with an unlikely win, means we hope it might be significant.

However, no Queens fan will be convinced for a while yet.  We hoped the decent performance with your lot might herald an upturn a few weeks back, but it certainly didn't.  

Last Saturday may prove to have been a turning point, but it really might well just be a blip.  That would surprise nobody at all.

I think they'd targeted as we did weaknessess. Fotheringham had MacIntyre all day for pace and when they went down their left, crossing to the back post (their first) there was a miss-match in height between MacIntyre and Fotheringham. We had the pace of Walker against Grimshaw who looked as though he was towing a caravan!

Having repeatedly squandered the opportunity to get some home points on the board in “winnable fixtures” we now face two very tough away fixtures back to back. As all Queens’ fans will know our record at NDP is frankly abysmal and then we face a strong Mo side who are going well.

Hopefully last weeks great result will galvanise the squad to perform to the same standard. It will be interesting to see if broadly the same players get a chance to build on that performance. Invariably when we have done ok wholesale changes appear the next week. Would certainly like to see Walker feature - yes he can be frustrating but no other player in our ranks could have made that second goal last week out of nothing. 

We need to get some league wins from somewhere - hopefully starting tomorrow.