Hamilton v Queens

7 hours ago, Frankie S said:

He is indeed, (a song called ‘Queen of the South’ features on his 1986 solo album ‘The Man’), though Spurs are his main team. I went to the Cup final in 2008 with Bill. He was mildly intrigued by the suggestion of investing in Queens, though he’s got several kids from previous relationships, so maintenance payments to his ex-partners might have had a preferential claim on his funds, along with the fact that he genuinely did set fire to a million quid. It was a defiantly absurdist gesture watching (much of) the material gains from a successful career in the pop business go up in flames, and I admire him for that, but you have to live with the consequences. It certainly didn’t prompt him to go back to the coal face in the music industry though, and he’s been spending his post-KLF years engaged in uncommercial projects, such as visiting folk whose houses stand on ley lines to make them soup, before embarking upon a decade-long World Tour entitled ‘Best Before Death’, which has seen him shining people’s shoes, baking cakes and building beds in locations from Lexington, North Carolina to Kolkata. Perhaps his modus operandi is changing though, as I notice KLF have just announced a world tour for 2323, with a (revisiting the scene of the crime) date at The Boathouse, Isle of Jura on 23.01.2323.

We need to play more KLF at palmerston. Maybe that's the answer 

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

If you don't understand what he's saying, then maybe following someone other than the OF isn't for you.

I too found our league campaign in 2012/13 tedious.

You must know how laughable it comes across on the outside to say your team winning a lot for one season ever was “tedious”?

It’s absolutely nothing like the OF either, as they have the same thing every single year.

I swear some fans have almost a martyr complex about how special they are for choosing to support a diddy team.

Was the 2012/2013 barnstorming L1 title campaign tedious?  Well, not for me.  I don't think you can equate that with the legions of OF hordes who rock up season after season after season to watch their over-advantaged sides relentlessly batter the substantially lesser opposition.  I went to our games that season fully aware that the Queens side were a level above the opposition, but equally knowing that it was a one-off season that was very unlikely to be repeated in my time and our football played that season was a joy to watch.

As @19QOS19 has said, and like many QOS fans, I don't demand that we land silverware each season but what I do like to see is a team that's competitive for its level and the knowledge that we've got a good chance of success in any game.  Queens should be capable of that.

8 hours ago, Frankie S said:

He is indeed, (a song called ‘Queen of the South’ features on his 1986 solo album ‘The Man’), though Spurs are his main team. I went to the Cup final in 2008 with Bill. He was mildly intrigued by the suggestion of investing in Queens, though he’s got several kids from previous relationships, so maintenance payments to his ex-partners might have had a preferential claim on his funds, along with the fact that he genuinely did set fire to a million quid. It was a defiantly absurdist gesture watching (much of) the material gains from a successful career in the pop business go up in flames, and I admire him for that, but you have to live with the consequences. It certainly didn’t prompt him to go back to the coal face in the music industry though, and he’s been spending his post-KLF years engaged in uncommercial projects, such as visiting folk whose houses stand on ley lines to make them soup, before embarking upon a decade-long World Tour entitled ‘Best Before Death’, which has seen him shining people’s shoes, baking cakes and building beds in locations from Lexington, North Carolina to Kolkata. Perhaps his modus operandi is changing though, as I notice KLF have just announced a world tour for 2323, with a (revisiting the scene of the crime) date at The Boathouse, Isle of Jura on 23.01.2323.

Appreciate the update!

No excuse required to post a bit of Bill Drummond ...

17 hours ago, Slipmat said:

Marvin:  complains about players repeatedly making mistakes

Also Marvin:  signed Efe Ambrose

I think this is quite telling. Efe Ambrose has always been a calamity yet as you say he keeps going on about the individual mistakes which to me is clear as day he has underestimated the level and assumed Efe etc wouldn't make mistakes as playing in L1. 

He's a bombscare MB and surely be gone soon. 

47 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

You must know how laughable it comes across on the outside to say your team winning a lot for one season ever was “tedious”?

It’s absolutely nothing like the OF either, as they have the same thing every single year.

I swear some fans have almost a martyr complex about how special they are for choosing to support a diddy team.

You can find it laughable if you like, I just don't find non-competitive football all that interesting. It wasn't that we were a good team to watch, it was that we were streets ahead of everyone else. Ffs we were 1-0 down to a decent Arbroath side at HT in one game and had a man sent off. We came out and played 3-3-3 and won 5-1. Being that far ahead of the opposition is boring to me regardless of what you say. It started off really well that season but was predictable and boring long before the end of the season. The draw away to Livi at the start of the next season was far more enjoyable for me. 

10 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Have to feel for @19QOS19 who was bored and miserable when Queens were good and is bored and miserable when they’re shite.

Maybe you just don’t actually enjoy football very much?

Hey, take it easy on him, you do know like our manager he talks a good game.

7 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Nah, It's not a question of martyrdom.   If it was, we'd be embracing this season.  

It's a recognition though, that mismatches aren't that attractive or engaging.  I did enjoy watching a good Queens side that season and got a kick out of our Challenge Cup win via a demanding route.  

I did, however, get a bit tired of the inevitability of our league wins.  I found myself greeting our goals with applause while remaining seated.  That can't be right.

Anyway, this line of discussion only came about due to a plea for 'investment', with the Wrexham nonsense getting cited.

Of course a season like that of 2012/13 would be wildly preferable to any of the last 5.  I think we're just making the point though, that we're not craving dominance, just a side that doesn't constantly let us down.  

Personally, I don't think it's that odd a stance.

7 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Was the 2012/2013 barnstorming L1 title campaign tedious?  Well, not for me.  I don't think you can equate that with the legions of OF hordes who rock up season after season after season to watch their over-advantaged sides relentlessly batter the substantially lesser opposition.  I went to our games that season fully aware that the Queens side were a level above the opposition, but equally knowing that it was a one-off season that was very unlikely to be repeated in my time and our football played that season was a joy to watch.

As @19QOS19 has said, and like many QOS fans, I don't demand that we land silverware each season but what I do like to see is a team that's competitive for its level and the knowledge that we've got a good chance of success in any game.  Queens should be capable of that.

Agree with that. Loved the L1 winning AJ season. I for one would never settle for just being competitive. 

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

You can find it laughable if you like, I just don't find non-competitive football all that interesting. It wasn't that we were a good team to watch, it was that we were streets ahead of everyone else. Ffs we were 1-0 down to a decent Arbroath side at HT in one game and had a man sent off. We came out and played 3-3-3 and won 5-1. Being that far ahead of the opposition is boring to me regardless of what you say. It started off really well that season but was predictable and boring long before the end of the season. The draw away to Livi at the start of the next season was far more enjoyable for me. 

Give me that boring season every time  if we are actually winning. I was at that Arbroath game and it was terrific entertainment. 

Just watched the lowlights. Can't be bothered dissecting the goals, complete amateur league stuff sums it up. But on the red card, was it higher up the leg than it looked on the video? Thought it was a petulant outburst from Docherty but a laughable decision to give that as red IMO.