Porridge (1974-1977)

tve955-9-272.jpg.3c366e0d1fd21fec5e80ec738dd9532f.jpg

"Suffer from any illness? "

"Bad feet"

"Paid a recent visit to a doctor or a hospital ?"

"Only with me bad feet"

"Are you now or have you at any time been a practicing homosexual?"

"What, with these feet ? Who'd have me ?"

It's visiting time at Slade Prison, where Norman Stanley Fletcher is serving at Her Majesty's Pleasure as best he can in the classic 70's comedy.

Clement & La Frenais's not quite at the level of their masterpiece 'Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads' but then what is ?

17 hours ago, Chris Partlow said:

Derry Girls (2018-2022)

Image(1669243427080).gif.0eb6c459ea1c56c232e6f45838279d99.gif

"Macauley Culkin isn't Protestant Ma!"

Set during the arse end of The Troubles in the Failed Statelet, a group of Derry girls negotiate teenage life and their headmistress Sister George Michael at a an all girls Catholic school.

Often quoted as a 'female Inbetweeners', which I think does both shows a disservice.

Fun Fact: My missus looked like the lassie on the left in the picture above when she was a bit younger, which her pals never tire of ripping the pish out of her for. There is a fair resemblance tbh.

Our left or their left...?

15 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Genuinely, would someone be able to explain to me why anyone enjoys only fools and horses?

I’ve seen it a few teams and find it to be, at best, the standard of Mrs Browns Boys. People can like what they like and that obviously, but I just don’t get it. 

There was a marked decline over the years in the program.

i can see how someone who didn’t see it in real time could dip in and see the one with the lookalike in Miami or Peckham Spring or something and think “this is shite”.

The earlier series (rule of Thumb-before the brothers had girlfriends) are definitely much better than the later ones. 

It hasn’t dated well and is quite broad and stagey, but for an 80s sitcom it wasn’t particularly. It’s not hi de hi or Terry and June.

A lot of the characters were memorable and it had a strong streak of social realism and often irredeemable nastiness to go with the broad farce and lovable roguery.  Del Boys wannabe yuppyism was very zeitgeist for the times and a lot of the jokes around that will be lost on a modern audience.

Way outside my top ten and 90’s episodes are total pish, but there was plenty to like in the 80s.

Blackadder (1983-1989)

newFile.thumb.jpg.645577050eef369198be1c3caf6bea2b.jpg

"wibble"

Scraping into the Top 20 is another British sitcom from the 80's as Robinson, Atkinson, Fry and Laurie travel from the middle ages to the early 20th century with the tales of the scheming Blackadder and his sidekick Baldrick, until the final, poignant over the top scene in the trenches during WW1.

Frasier (1993-2004)

gettyimages-147170348-1-2000-647da01afa52484d8cfeb2a6f8daaf21.thumb.jpg.146c297550b3f2b1c8069a0cf0425f8a.jpg

"I'm listening"

Fraiser Crane moves from a bar where everybody knows your name, back home to Seattle to host a radio phone in and reconnect with his dad, brother Niles and Eddie the dug in this American comedy that is known for more than just being a Cheers spin off.

I don't mind this tbh, can be quite funny but not hearing great things about the recent reboot.

Posted (edited)

The World At War (1973-1974)

CnueuFdW8AErZPZ.thumb.jpg.a01e57169b4eefebcbe222e89285093a.jpg

"dona nobis pacem"

Narrated by Laurence Olivier, a landmark British TV documentary which chronicles the events of World War 2 with interviews and contributions from many of those involved and affected by the conflict.

Edited by Chris Partlow

Fawlty Towers (1975-1979)

ETnU3i.gif.0a1b9a85dd5082d4e613222202590c16.gif

"don't mention the war"

Voted the greatest British sitcom ever in 2019 and 29th in the 2012 P&B poll, John Cleese leaves the Python team behind to star as the irritable hotel owner Basil Fawlty and gives us all a lesson in good customer service alongside his Spanish waiter Manuel.

11 minutes ago, Chris Partlow said:

The World At War (1973-1974)

CnueuFdW8AErZPZ.thumb.jpg.a01e57169b4eefebcbe222e89285093a.jpg

"dona nobis pacem"

Narrated by Laurence Olivier, a landmark British TV documentary which chronicles the events of World War 2 with interviews and contributions from many of this involved and affected by the conflict.

Just superb, right from the first scene about Oradour-sur-Glane

Mad Men (2007-2015)

giphy(18).gif.3f8b8fc3b4d088e14d5e275716331813.gif

"People will show you who they are, but we ignore it, because we want them to be who we want them to be"

Jon Hamm is the iconic, suave, hard drinking, chain smoking, womanising advertising guru Don Draper in this hugely successful show (the first basic cable show to win an Emmy for outstanding drama for each of it's 1st 4 seasons) set in the changing times of the 1960's. 

Generally considered one of the key shows in what has been coined "the 3rd Golden Age of Television' which kicked off with The Sopranos in 1999.

I'm Alan Partridge (1997-1992)

ITTu796q2sVS.gif.48354c52a39ddceeb85d2c2d44526e6a.gif

"Stop getting Bond wrong"

First appearing in The Day Today, Steve Coogan's tragic broadcaster Alan Partridge is undoubtedly one of the most iconic comedy figures created and oft quoted and memed on these forums. Here he desperately tries to recover from being ditched by the BBC, first in the Linton 3 star Travel Tavern and presenting a local radio show and then in a static caravan with "the largest audience share for a digital channel at that time of day in the Norfolk area"

7 minutes ago, Chris Partlow said:

I'm Alan Partridge (1997-1992)

ITTu796q2sVS.gif.48354c52a39ddceeb85d2c2d44526e6a.gif

"Stop getting Bond wrong"

First appearing in The Day Today, Steve Coogan's tragic broadcaster Alan Partridge is undoubtedly one of the most iconic comedy figures created and oft quoted and memed on these forums. Here he desperately tries to recover from being ditched by the BBC, first in the Linton 3 star Travel Tavern and presenting a local radio show and then in a static caravan with "the largest audience share for a digital channel at that time of day in the Norfolk area"

Lovely stuff! I think I included Mid Morning Matters on my list as I think it's the more outright funny series but I'm glad there's some Partridge in there. I used to binge the entire thing about every two months when I was a student and the number of quotable lines are insane. They've done a largely great job with the resurrection of the character with the Gibbons brothers but the original is still probably the best 

Edited by GHF-23

17 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

Lovely stuff! I think I included Mid Morning Matters on my list as I think it's the more outright funny series but I'm glad there's some Partridge in there. I used to binge the entire thing about every two months when I was a student and the number of quotable lines are insane. They've done a largely great job with the resurrection of the character with the Gibbons brothers but the original is still probably the best 

The Day Today should be high in any list for Partridge's Race Horse reporting alone - "Two Headed Sex Beast" - "Massive Bereavement" - "Platitude Queen" ...

22 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

Pedantry alert. 

I'm Alan Partridge isn't the original Partridge series. Not counting The Day Today the original is Knowing Me Knowing You with Alan Partridge. Which had its moments (especially cheeky monkey) but is definitely not the best. 

Peep Show (2003-2015)

AhgHtnP.thumb.jpg.b4f3973a36dc6a9fcf1c03b92ef2de35.jpg

"Sophie's the one. Toni's Russia: vast, mysterious, unconquerable. Sophie's Poland: manageable, won't put up much of a fight"

This classic cringe and farce from Mitchell and Webb is Channel 4's longest running comedy. Shot in an unique and sometimes disorientating 'first person view', Croydon flatmates Mark and Jez get up to all sorts with their friends and colleagues.