**Pie and Bovril's Top 100 TV Shows of All Time**

Wee-Bey

Thank you everyone for the kind words, too many to quote, but thanks again for taking part, these things only work if enough people get involved and contribute.

I've updated the full list on the 1st page for anyone who doesn't want to scroll through the whole thing again.

Some wee bonus lists below, if one of your favs didn't make the top 100 it might be below and if anyone has a suggestion for a list let me know.

The unlucky 13 who missed out.

Spoiler

1 Narcos

1 Babylon 5

3 Columbo

3 The Professionals

3 Westworld

3 Coast

3 Rick and Morty

3 Babylon Berlin

3 Heimat

3 Randall and Hopkirk Dec.

3 Chuck

12 Battlestar Galactica

13 Spooks

Top Animated

Spoiler

1 The Simpsons

2 South Park

3 Family Guy

4 Bojak Horseman 

5 Archer

6 Rick and Morty

7 Batman: The Animated Series

8 Bob's Burgers

9 The Flintstones

10 Scooby Doo

Top Scottish

Spoiler

1 Still Game

2 Chewin' The Fat

3 Naked Video

4 City Lights

5 Tutti Frutti

6 Only An Excuse

6 Grand Tours of Scotland

8 Looking After JoJo

8 Taggart

10 A View From The Terrace

10 Hamish Macbeth

10 Highland TV/Grampian Sport

10 Glen Michael's Cavalcade

Top 30 British Comedy

Spoiler

1 Still Game

2 The Office

3 Peep Show

4 Alan Partridge

5 Fawlty Towers

6 Blackadder

7 The Thick of It

8 Auf Wiedersehen Pet 

9 Monty Python 

10 Phoenix Nights 

11 Porridge 

12 Derry Girls 

13 Minder

13 Only Fools and Horses

15 Yes, Minister 

16 The Fast Show

17 Brass Eye

18 Chewin' The Fat

19 The Royle Family 

20 The Young Ones 

21 Red Dwarf

22 The Inbetweeners 

23 Early Doors

24 WHT The Likely Lads ?

25 Spaced

25 Naked Video

25 Detectorists

28 Steptoe and Son

29 Not the 9 o'clock News

30 City Lights

30 Bottom

Top Foreign Language

Spoiler

1 Gomorrah 

2 Das Boot

3 Money Heist

4 Heimat

4 Babylon Berlin

6 Deutschland

7 Inspector Montalbano

8 Borgen

Top Non Fiction/ Documentary/ Music/Arts/Culture etc.

Spoiler

1 The World At War

2 The Tube

3 Life on Earth

4 Planet Earth

5 Arena

6 Top of The Pops

6 Coast

8 Old Grey Whistle Test

9 Ready Steady Go

10 Tomorrow's World

10 The South Bank Show

Top Space/Sci Fi (please don't @ me for what counts/qualifies for this)

Spoiler

1 X Files

2 Star Trek TOS

3 Doctor Who

4 Andor

5 Red Dwarf

6 Twilight Zone 

7 Space 1999

8 Star Trek TNG

9 Babylon 5

10 Battlestar Galactica 

11 From The Earth to the Moon

12 Blakes 7

I'm annoyed that I missed this thread. I'd have given a full ten points to Heimat (presumably getting it some notice on the score table) and a second place to the Wire (helping push it closer to the top spot), and given the unjustly forgotten Edge of Darkness at least some points.

I'm also pondering Das Boot. Are you sure all the Das Boot votes were for the newer minseries rather than the 1980s version, which was an extended version of the movie and the format I remember first seeing it in?

10 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

I'm annoyed that I missed this thread. I'd have given a full ten points to Heimat (presumably getting it some notice on the score table) and a second place to the Wire (helping push it closer to the top spot), and given the unjustly forgotten Edge of Darkness at least some points.

I'm also pondering Das Boot. Are you sure all the Das Boot votes were for the newer minseries rather than the 1980s version, which was an extended version of the movie and the format I remember first seeing it in?

Aye, missed your educated contribution this year. Heimat would have landed in the top 60 had you voted it number 1 and The Sopranos would have only won on a tiebreak if you picked The Wire 2nd.

I think your probably right about Das Boot tbh after looking at who voted for it, although nobody specified what version. I'll add something to the entry.

16 hours ago, Chris Partlow said:

Still Game (2002-2019)

-mNOK3.gif.ac5960030e459b6a9efa6ec02b056794.gif

"Do you like the PlayStation?"

The boys from Slough were narrowly beaten by the boys from Craiglang who are up ten places from 18th in the 2012 poll. Kiernan and Hemphill took a sketch from Chewin' The Fat and spun 9 series out of it as Jack and Victor plus pals get up to all sorts in a Glasgow scheme in a show that has (like it or not) become something of a Scottish national treasure.

Something something... the BBC... weegification... Scottish culture.

Mrs Brown's Boys for the buckfast generation. Inexplicably popular. Up there with Rangers, Celtic & religiously segregated education as something to despair of in the Scottish culture. Is it too late to vote for 'The Vital Spark' ? 

Edited by kennie makevin

4 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Mrs Brown's Boys for the buckfast generation. Inexplicable popular. Up there with Rangers, Celtic & religiously segregated education as something to despair of in the Scottish culture. Is it too late to vote for 'The Vital Spark' ? 

still-game-glesga.gif

Spoiler

On 02/12/2023 at 13:56, Salvo Montalbano said:

1. The West Wing

2. The Wire

3. Police Squad!

4. Breaking Bad

5. M*A*S*H

6. Star Trek: The Next Generation 

7. Frasier

8. Line of Duty

9. Agatha Christie's Poirot 

10. Battlestar Galactica (2004 version)

Quite tough to come up with that list. No doubt will have forgotten a few of my favourites that I've not seen for a while. 

So, of my top ten 9 are in the top 100:

10. Unplaced

Not sure if that makes me one of the masses or something else, but of the top ten chosen by the P&B Collective, 2 of them (The Simpsons and Band of Brothers) were on my shortlist. However, I've only ever seen a few bits and bobs of the eventual #1, The Sopranos and it wasn't for me, and despite loving Breaking Bad I never watched #5 Better Call Saul. I won't even mention that I didn't get #11 Game of Thrones or don't find #15 Alan Partridge funny in the slightest... 

When I was a boy it was common knowledge that British TV was the best in the world and Americans watched a load of shite. I assume that even the most Union Jacked beetroot faced jingoist can’t keep up that pretence nowadays. 

Personally prefer a shorter form mini series to the 13 episodes of a US “season “ but you can’t argue with the quality of American dramas.

I’m a bit baffled by a couple of entries, in that they’re not bad just very very meh.

But the most surprising thing to come out of this is that people re-watch whole series, of up to 100 hours each. I though I was a couch potato but that’s another level.

good work @Chris Partlow

15 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

I don’t think the wire is very complimentary of the police at all. 

David Simon was a former police reporter and obviously has contacts and friends in the police and I think that shows in a lot of his work. There's a clear message in The Wire for more funding for the police and a return to the 'good ol' days' of a 50's, 60's style of policing.

At times it attributes a lot of the (bad) behaviour of the cops on the 'system' rather than the individuals themselves imo. They're only fixing the stats because they have to, they're only shitting on their subordinates because they have to, they're only telling lies and blurring the lines and having this often portrayed as good and humorous because they have to, McNulty is only faking murder scenes and tampering with evidence because he has to as they've cut overtime and so on. They're mostly all still 'good police' or 'natural police' though.

However, it is a show primarily about the decay, decline and malaise of Anerica and its institutions though so it's understandable.

1 minute ago, Chris Partlow said:

We did that last year unfortunately, so we'll probably need to leave it a while before we do it again.

https://forum.pieandbovril.com/topic/286564-pie-and-bovrils-top-100-films-of-all-time/#comments

Any chance of an easy view list of the top 100 TV shows you've just compiled?  And possibly their previous entry/or if a new entry?

Just now, TheScarf said:

Any chance of an easy view list of the top 100 TV shows you've just compiled?  And possibly their previous entry/or if a new entry?

There's now one in the 2nd post of the thread. We don't have the full results of the previous Top 50 poll but the Top 10 of 2012 and some others are in the opening post.

17 minutes ago, Chris Partlow said:

David Simon was a former police reporter and obviously has contacts and friends in the police and I think that shows in a lot of his work. There's a clear message in The Wire for more funding for the police and a return to the 'good ol' days' of a 50's, 60's style of policing.

At times it attributes a lot of the (bad) behaviour of the cops on the 'system' rather than the individuals themselves imo. They're only fixing the stats because they have to, they're only shitting on their subordinates because they have to, they're only telling lies and blurring the lines and having this often portrayed as good and humorous because they have to, McNulty is only faking murder scenes and tampering with evidence because he has to as they've cut overtime and so on. They're mostly all still 'good police' or 'natural police' though.

However, it is a show primarily about the decay, decline and malaise of Anerica and its institutions though so it's understandable.

Not to mention that a number of the police 'heroes' in Simon's books and who formed the basis for characters in his earlier shows later had their names mentioned in miscarriage of justice scandals.

There is a corrective of sorts in 'We Own This City', Simon's later show about a real-life corrupt Baltimore police task force, where the show is less sympathetic to the individual police officers, shows them being far more corrupt than in THe Wire, and it shows the policing system as essentially unfixable.

Out of interest, if you only counted the people who voted for Line of Duty, here's what their top 10 is

1. Line Of Duty
2. West Wing
3. Band of Brothers
5. Breaking Bad
6. UK Ofiice
7. The Wire
8. The Sopranos
9. Game of Thrones
10. Still Game

Spoiler

626.jpg